Recommendation for chicken cutlet recipe?

SegaRob

Veteran X
I'm looking for a chicken cutlet recipe and there seem to be a lot of different variations. Can someone recommend something that is tasty but that doesn't take a lot of time or require a lot of ingredients? I always prefer recipes with less ingredients.

I made an AWESOME chicken dinner tonight

I'll post the recipe tomorrow, it would totally work with cutlets

yum

By cutlets I'll assume you mean breasts that are already chopped and trimmed up. There's already no prepwork there, so you're in luck.

You'll want to dry the cutlets with a paper towel, the slime around them will just prevent searing, so it needs to be sopped up.

Put the cutlets in a bowl.

You need kosher salt. It's way too easy to oversalt with table salt, so just start buying kosher salt from now on, ok? Take a small handful of k.salt and drop it in.

Next, people usually go to pepper, I'm a little different. My go to spice is hungarian paprika. It's the sweeter kind, not hot like cayenne pepper. Not only will it give you a nice flavor, but it will give the chicken a really great color. 1-3 tablespoons depending on how much chicken you have.

That's usually my base spices, you don't have to do anything else. If you want to here are some very easy options:

Sage - sage loves chicken. If you can get sage fresh that's probably where you want to go. Ribbon it and throw it in the bowl. What's nice about fresh herbs is you can't go wrong with too much. The same applies to basil, cilantro, parsley, pretty much anything leafy, it'll all taste great as long as it's fresh.

Lime or lemon. Do you know how to zest a lime? You'll need a micro grater, it's absolutely worth it and really adds a kick to flavor. You can also juice the lime into the bowl.

Fresh peppers - you can use any peppers you want, any heat level, even mix and match, as long as they're fresh (notice a theme here?). 1 Serrano pepper chopped finely will give you some nice flavor and a bit of kick. You can keep the seeds, if they're too hot for you use a more mild pepper.

If you're going to use any dried spices use them sparingly, they can easily overcome the flavor. They are especially dangerous with chicken because there is no way to taste it before it's cooked (unless you want to poison yourself).

Oil. 1-2 tablespoons of oil coating everything will promote searing. If you want to grill the chicken it'll insure those nice grill lines before the chicken dries out.

If you are cooking it up in a pan/walk/etc, cook some onions first in a pad of butter. Let them brown up the bottom of the pan, then drop in some lime juice. Onions love lime juice. Move then to the side them cook the chicken.

Simple and easy. Remember, chicken has no flavor, it's extremely bland. Salt is a start, but if you don't bring your own party to the table don't expect much in return. I like to use fresh ingredients, and I like to use smaller pieces of chicken (like cutlets). I have never had a chicken breast that wouldn't have been better had it been cutletted up first (well, maybe if it was brined, but that's a different thread).

Last edited:
By cutlets I'll assume you mean breasts that are already chopped and trimmed up. There's already no prepwork there, so you're in luck.

You'll want to dry the cutlets with a paper towel, the slime around them will just prevent searing, so it needs to be sopped up.

Put the cutlets in a bowl.

You need kosher salt. It's way too easy to oversalt with table salt, so just start buying kosher salt from now on, ok? Take a small handful of k.salt and drop it in.

Next, people usually go to pepper, I'm a little different. My go to spice is hungarian paprika. It's the sweeter kind, not hot like cayenne pepper. Not only will it give you a nice flavor, but it will give the chicken a really great color. 1-3 tablespoons depending on how much chicken you have.

That's usually my base spices, you don't have to do anything else. If you want to here are some very easy options:

Sage - sage loves chicken. If you can get sage fresh that's probably where you want to go. Ribbon it and throw it in the bowl. What's nice about fresh herbs is you can't go wrong with too much. The same applies to basil, cilantro, parsley, pretty much anything leafy, it'll all taste great as long as it's fresh.

Lime or lemon. Do you know how to zest a lime? You'll need a micro grater, it's absolutely worth it and really adds a kick to flavor. You can also juice the lime into the bowl.

Fresh peppers - you can use any peppers you want, any heat level, even mix and match, as long as they're fresh (notice a theme here?). 1 Serrano pepper chopped finely will give you some nice flavor and a bit of kick. You can keep the seeds, if they're too hot for you use a more mild pepper.

If you're going to use any dried spices use them sparingly, they can easily overcome the flavor. They are especially dangerous with chicken because there is no way to taste it before it's cooked (unless you want to poison yourself).

Oil. 1-2 tablespoons of oil coating everything will promote searing. If you want to grill the chicken it'll insure those nice grill lines before the chicken dries out.

If you are cooking it up in a pan/walk/etc, cook some onions first in a pad of butter. Let them brown up the bottom of the pan, then drop in some lime juice. Onions love lime juice. Move then to the side them cook the chicken.

Simple and easy. Remember, chicken has no flavor, it's extremely bland. Salt is a start, but if you don't bring your own party to the table don't expect much in return. I like to use fresh ingredients, and I like to use smaller pieces of chicken (like cutlets). I have never had a chicken breast that wouldn't have been better had it been cutletted up first (well, maybe if it was brined, but that's a different thread).

Maybe, I should have been more clear and said breaded chicken cutlets.

I meant something more along the lines of this: Cooks.com - Recipe - Breaded Chicken Cutlets

I've seen several similar recipes and I was just curious if anyone thought one was better (different ways to coat the chicken, frying vs. baking).

For regular broiled chicken, I like using italian dressing as a sauce (not as a marinade). I think it's kind of unorthodox, it gives the chicken a nice flavor and requires no effort.

Maybe, I should have been more clear and said breaded chicken cutlets.

I meant something more along the lines of this: Cooks.com - Recipe - Breaded Chicken Cutlets

In that case here's a little recipe I really like:

4 skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs.)
1 lg. egg
1 tbsp. water
1/4 c. plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Flour
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. butter

Place each chicken breast between two pieces of waxed paper and pound to 1/2 inch thickness or slice chicken breast crosswise into thin slices. Beat egg and water in a shallow dish or pie plate. In another shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken lightly with flour. Dip chicken in beaten egg and then in crumb mixture to coat evenly. In 10-12 inch skillet heat butter and oil over medium heat. When butter is melted, add as many cutlets as will fit in a single layer or cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Garnish with lemon slice.

In that case here's a little recipe I really like:

4 skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs.)
1 lg. egg
1 tbsp. water
1/4 c. plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
Flour
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. butter

Place each chicken breast between two pieces of waxed paper and pound to 1/2 inch thickness or slice chicken breast crosswise into thin slices. Beat egg and water in a shallow dish or pie plate. In another shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken lightly with flour. Dip chicken in beaten egg and then in crumb mixture to coat evenly. In 10-12 inch skillet heat butter and oil over medium heat. When butter is melted, add as many cutlets as will fit in a single layer or cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Garnish with lemon slice.
Not even a single change? Like I said, there were several variations on the internet that, I would say, were significantly different.

Here's my modified, lazyman's recipe:

BREADED CHICKEN CUTLETS

5 skinless chicken breasts (6oz)
1 med. egg
2 tsp. water
1/2 cup (4oz) Progresso Garlic & Herb bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt

Wash chicken breasts in water and then dry with paper towel. Beat egg and water. In another shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, , salt and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken lightly with flour. Dip chicken in beaten egg and then in crumb mixture. In skillet heat oil over 350C. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Serve with pickle and Italian dressing as a sauce.

I tried baking it as well, but my oven doesn't seem to want to bake. I'm going to try broiling it in the oven now.

Last edited:
Back