Cast Iron Cornbread

nigafool

Veteran XX
Sweet Cast Iron Cornbread

cornbread.jpg

Notes:
I use a 12" cast iron pan for this recipe. If you don't have one that size, you can reduce the recipe or just do it in a 13" x 9" baking pan.

You also don't have to separate the eggs, but you'll be happier if you do.

If you don't like it as sweet, just cut down on the sugar. I actually use a little less than the full cup.

Ingredients:
- 1 c. corn meal
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter. melt all but 1 tbsp. in the microwave.
- 1 c. milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla

1. Put the cast iron pan in the oven and preheat it to 350. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. You can sift the flour with the baking powder and salt if you so desire. Mix the milk, melted butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in another bowl, add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

2. Remove the pan from the oven and throw in the reserved tablespoon of butter. Brush it around the entire pan (including the sides). Pour any excess into your batter.

3. Whip the egg whites to the soft peak stage, and fold them into the batter. If you don't know how to fold egg whites, learn. If you just stir it in, all you did is waste time.

4. Pour the mix into the pan and bake it for 25-30 minutes, or until the top lightly browns. Try to avoid overbaking. Nobody likes dry cornbread.

that looks great - when baking one of the telltales of a finished cake, whatever, is when it pulls from the side of the pan - you picture is a good example of this

looks good and similar to recipe I use, just add some chopped jalapnos, grated cheddar cheese and some chopped crisp bacon.

The pre heating of the cast iron skillet is key, well done niga

oh man my stomach just sounded off....reminded me of when I was a kid.

I love this stuff, and it just so happens the wife is making me some.

GOOD THREAD

That, my good sir, is one finely seasoned skillet and you should be commended for your diligence in maintaining such an epic piece of culinary equipment. It's right up there with a properly honed and sharpened Chef's knife.

Back