[how-to] Awesome Turkey Gravy

Phyzx

Veteran XX
One of the downfalls of doing my brined turkey, is that the pan dripping are not suitable for making a gravy. The combination of the extra salt, and the tremendous amounts of butter I use for the skin make for a very bad gravy indeed.

To fix that, I use the following recipe to make a HUGE amount of gravy, with plenty for left-overs:

PART I

Vegetable Stock (if you want to sound smart to your in-laws, you can refer to it as "Mirepoix")
[2] stalks of Celery
[2] carrots
[1] large yellow onion
[1] bay leaf
[3] garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

chop the celery, carrots, an onions. Place in oven-proof pot or roasting pan with a lid. add about 2 cups of water, the bay leaf, and the garlic. Roast for 2hrs, then turn the oven off and let sit another hour. Check to make sure you still have liquid in the bottom of the pan. Save veggies and the small amount of liquid you have for the end of part II.
mirepoix1.jpg

I do this at the same time as the next part.

PART II (can substitute with store-bought chicken stock, but not as good)

Turkey/Chicken Stock
[2] celery
[2]carrots
[1] large onion
[1] bones from a previous turkey, or bones from 2 small chickens
[2] tbsp rosemary
[2] tbsp tyme
[1] bay leaf

While the veggie-stock is cooking, I put the bones on a cookie sheet and roast them in the same oven for an hour or so. No need to have clean bones or anything. I personally break mine, but its not necessary.

We buy those little roasted chickens sometimes from the grocery store for enchilada's, and we just throw the carcasses in a freezer bag and toss them in the downstairs freezer for times just like this.

While the bones are roasting, roughly cut up the rest of the ingredients and throw into a deep pan with a lid. Add 1 gallon of water (16 cups). Turn it on and get it boiling. When the bones are done, add them to the boiling broth. Continue boiling on high, with the lid off for an hour. Turn down to medium-low, and simmer with a lid on for as long as you can. I leave mine going overnight.

Strain and discard the pieces, retaining broth.
veggie-stock_strained.jpg

Return the liquid back to the pot, heat to medium, and let simmer until reduced by at least 50% total. I take mine down a bit further (65% ?), for a stronger flavor. By the time you're done, you should have a pretty dark broth.
gravy_mixed.jpg

(optional step) - put broth in a narrow container (like a pitcher) and put in the fridge until it completely cools, and the fat solidifies on top. Remove fat, and warm back up on the stove on medium-low.
veggie-stock_coldjpg.jpg

In a blender, add the veggie goodness from PART I and a small amount of your stock from PART II, and blend on high. Continue adding more of the chicken/turkey stock into the blender as its blending.
mirepoix_mix01.jpg

mirepoix_add.jpg

You should end up with a very creamy mixture. Return to pot, and continue cooking on medium-low.
veggie_stock_warm.jpg

PART III (can substitute with cornstarch and cold water, equal parts)

Dark Roux
[3]tbsp flour
[3]tbsp butter (can substitute veggie oil, or shortening

add the oil to a medium sized frying pan, over medium heat, and add the flour while stirring. Continue cooking for 1/2hr, stirring (and scraping the bottom of the pan) at least every 15 seconds. DO NOT EVER LEAVE YOUR PAN!!! I stand their stirring the entire time, because once you let a roux burn in the slightest, its really no good at all. When your done, it should be the color of melted milk-chocolate (or something close anyway).

The roux can be stored (let it cool some before putting it away) in the fridge or freezer for a few months anyway.

PART IV - putting it all together.

You should have about 8-10 cups of gravy now by combining PART I & PART II, and it should be on the oven over medium-low heat. Add in the ROUX, and turn the heat up to medium, and stir occasionally. As the gravy gets closer to boiling, it will start to thicken. Once its starts to boil, its basically done. (turn it back down to medium-low).

Salt & Pepper to taste. Definitely needs some salt...
roux_added.jpg

*edit* - looking for USB cord for pics...

Last edited:
Back