How to make Ribs?

NutButter

Veteran XX
I have never cooked Ribs before. I see plenty of recipes on the internets saying put a dry rub on and cook for 4 hours in oven and then a couple of hours on the grill, but everytime I go to the store and look at the Ribs they look all fatty and nasty. Someone give me instruction as I drink alot and have few brain cells left :)

most supermarket ribs suck really badly. see if you can find some decent looking back ribs. there are two basic schools of thought on ribs, wet and dry.

personally i cook them for about 6 hours in a mixture of 3:1 water:bbq with some onions and whatnot floating around, covered in a really slow oven. then toss them on the grill and sauce em up.

if you're going the dry method, get your rub all over them and just leave them on a low indirect heat on your bbq all day, preferably with a tin foil pouch of wood chips smoking out next to them.

just something to be mindful of so you don't fuck up...do not use bbq sauce with sugar in it on our ribs

putting it on like 15 mins before you take it off like you are supposed to will cause the sugar to caramelize and burn and ruin the taste of everything

I really recommend getting a rib stand thing

I will never do the wet method, boiling or steaming as I think its an abomination, granted I know it popular in some circles but to each their own.

The following recipe I got off of another board awhile ago, smoked pork ribs -

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box. Oh wait, wrong meat. The REAL step 1 is to trim and rub your meat. I usually get my ribs from Costco - the quality is consistently good and they give you a good sized rack (if you get them from the grocery store it is hit or miss, the racks could be huge or tiny).

There is a flap on the back that you need to trim off, as well trimming off the large steak-like portion of meet from the end of the ribs. It's kind of hard to explain, but this site has some really good pictures that make it easy to know what to cut and what to keep. And when I say keep, I mean keep together, I smoke all the meat I trim off as well so don't throw anything you cut off away. It's just that you want it off before you smoke it rather than after. I should note that I DO NOT take off the membrane on the back, and I've never had any problems or complaints, the one time I did take the membrane off the racks wouldn't stay together.

After the ribs are trimmed, I put down a really thin "base coat" of deli style mustard, and then rub with a combination of good ol' Bolner's Fiesta Pork Rub and McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. And I do mean rub, it all sort of mixes together with the mustard when you rub it on the rack of ribs (only in the meat side), and your hands get dirty as hell, but it washes off easily. When you are done your ribs should look something like this:

rubbedribs1.jpg

Step 2: Start your fire. I use briquets - I tried the lump charcoal but I guess that I'm not experienced enough to keep a regulated temperature with that. I usually buy the HEB brand mesquite charcoal, it works great. To start the fire I use a chimney starter that you can buy at HEB to get my coals going:

Step 3: Prepare your firebox. I have your typical old offset firebox type pit. It's kind of leaky and the metal isn't as thick as your fancier set ups, but it gets the job done:

pit.jpg

Step 4: Add the coals to the firebox , Throw some logs on the fire (I use mesquite because I have a good source, but oak or pecan, properly aged of course, works well also) after you add the coals from the chimney, close the lid on the firebox and the pit, and get your temperatures to hold steady at about 225. When that happens, put your racks of ribs on the grill:

He uses mesquite but I prefer oak or pecan and I suppose apple would work well

ribsonpit.jpg

Step 5: While drinking beer, keep the pit temperatures as close to 225 as possible for 3 hours. Don't peek at the ribs, they are still there, and when you open the lid on the pit you let out most of the heat. I have a digital thermometer that I stick in the pit that does pretty well. After 3 hours, your ribs should look like this (notice how the meat has pulled back from the ends of the bones):

Step 6: During the last 30 minutes of step 7 you should have been preheating your oven to 225 or so. Take the ribs off the pit, wrap each rack up individually in foil (even though in the picture below I have them two racks to a foil pack, I've since moved on to individually wrapping them and I like the results), and put them in the oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours. The foil will make the ribs moist and tender, with the meat practically falling off the bones (in fact, be careful when moving the ribs between steps 8 and 9 because sometimes the bones will literally slip right out) and they look like this when you take them out after 2 hours or so of making your kitchen smell wonderful:

ribssmoked2.jpg

Step 7: Put the ribs back on the pit (I usually have something smoking on there at this time, like chicken or sausage), and let them "firm up" in the smoke for about an hour. You could just eat them after the oven step and the meat would fall right off the bone. However, that's not what I like, I like to firm the meat up a little bit and be able to cut them up and have the meat not be so tender you need a fork. Ribs are meant to be eaten with your hands! And I happen to think the extra hour in the smoke gives the "bark" a little bit of extra flavor. After this step your ribs should look like this:

ribsandsausagesmoked.jpg

Step 10: Let the ribs rest, and then carve them with your knife of choice, slicing between the bones. You can also cut the "knuckes" on the end off, but you don't have to. Be sure to save the best for the chef, because if you put them out they will go fast.

Now if you want to do them in the oven -

Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

hope this is helpful and let us know how it turns out

Most people's methods are excellent but require work and access to a grill. If you're lazy and just want some ribs, follow these instructions:

1. Cut off the extra meat parts and remove the membrane.
2. Put in a baking pan.
3. Cover with BBQ sauce until the ribs are fully submerged.
4. Leave to marinate in your fridge overnight.
5. Bake at 225 for 6 hours-8 hours.
6. If you do have access to a grill, grill each side for a few minutes. If not, just serve it.

Juzfugen did a nice write-up on the 3-2-1 method, which I will 2nd as the easiest/best method. I'd rather smoke them the entire time, as I like them a little less tender, but my family prefers 3-2-1 so I get voted down. It's also really easy.

Nice write-up Juz...

Ill tell you a dry rub rack of ribs with a nice vinegar based bbq sauce is the best thing you can have in my opinion

Ill tell you a dry rub rack of ribs with a nice vinegar based bbq sauce is the best thing you can have in my opinion

Another way is to use the dry rub and then use a vinegar based Mop (mop meaning a liquid that is basted on the ribs while they cook to keep them moist)

best to smoke first, then when it gets up to temperature, put it in some aluminum foil with some water/sauce and cook for a few hours in the oven. Connective tissue needs to cook slow with enough moisture in order to gelatinize. You can do it dry, but by the time you do it you have squeezed out all the moisture from the meat.

This is part 2 of AB's episode on pork ribs. He starts explaining gelatin @ 1:15.

what i usually do if it is raining and i want some good ol' ribs is...

1. boil for 3 hours
2. place in a pan
3. spread bbq sauce all over
4. broil for 15 minutes

when it is time to fire up the grill and invite everyone over...

1. marinate the ribs for 12 hours HOW? ...
-mix
--soy sauce
--pineapple juice
--2 cans of beer
--two whole onions (sliced and diced)
--some garlic

2. next day when it is time to bbq... put it on the grill and every two times you turn over soak back into marination until fully cooked.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

condensing it down.....

1) Buy ribs
2) Rub seasoning on them
3) put on BBQ

enjoy.

I like to use chicken and steak seasonings, I also like to smoke them on a cedar plank if I've got one.... Sooooooo tasty and super easy.

Back