[Cooking] That time again ...

Kiint

Contributor
Veteran XX
Its 10:00am AEST ... and tonight is "Spaghetti" night. Today will be a "boring" day because the inlaw (by sisters marriage LOL no pics LOL) and parents will be over for dinner. They are born and bred Italians from the Naples region and are disgusted by western influence, they are very much old purists (they are in their 80's) so todays menu will be a true trial by fire.

Todays menu: This will be the easiest for anyone to follow to reproduce a near perfect "basic" italian meal better than anything you get from a supermarket and most restaurants. Pictures will be added as they are produced.

Fresh hand made fettuccine (made in the morning to "cure" during the day) - DONE
Fresh Ragu Napoletano (visited the tableland farms yesterday for fresh cuts of Veal and Pork)

Pasta: All ingredients MUST be at room temperature. Seriously this shit is easy.
Durum Flour (500g) + Extra flour for dusting/consistency
5x Eggs + 2 yolks (organic free range at minimum - mine came from the coop yesterday)
1x Tablespoon salt
1x Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (quality, dont skimp)

Mix together with your hands, stop being a fucking girl. If the dough is sticky add more flour, if the dough is too dry and wont combine add a tablespoon of water. Keep going till you have a well mixed and even consistency of dough. It shouldnt stick to your hands, but it should be "tactile" (i.e. not powdery dry). Place whole dough in bowl and cover with cling wrap and let rest for at least an hour.

080810-Pasta.jpg

Begin making Ragu in this time.

Once rested remove 100g portions and begin feeding through pasta machine. On its widest setting run the pasta through the lasagna roller (the basic roller) at least 10 times folding each time until it rolls through silky smooth and without any tearing, then begin thinning to its thinnest setting until you get a huge thin sheet of pasta. Slice into manageable lengths and feed through your preferred slicer (I am using fettuccine today) as the fettuccine comes out from the cutter using dexterity take the pasta away to hang somewhere to cure, make sure you separate each piece so they do not stick together. Repeat until all pasta is completed.

The completed fettuccine, unfortunately the dough was a little wetter than I anticipated, but the drying will help that. Meh so be it, we can't all be perfect.
080810-Fettuccine.jpg

Its ready to cook now, its been drying all day and is very brittle just the wind blowing against it knocked some pieces off, however its well worth the effort.
080810-FettuccineReadyToCook.jpg

Ragu:
Using the "base" recipe from previous threads.

Soffritto
250g finely diced onion
1 whole clove garlic
Olive oil

Sauce
1Kg ground meat (in this case 500g minced veal, and 500g minced pork)
2Kg fresh tomato, peeled and chopped fine.
Herbs and spices to taste

Begin with the soffritto, sweat the onion and garlic off in the olive oil and reduce till it caramelizes.

The Sofftitto (with herbs - Oregano and Basil) note the brown on the bottom, this was about 2-3 mins before I added the meat, I wanted more of the caremelised flavour off the bottom - the brown stuff.
080810-Soffritto.jpg

Next add the minced meat and brown completely - do not add any more oil yet, let the meat brown first. If the mix seems "dry" add a couple of dashes of olive oil to make the mix "glisten".

Now we have added the meat, notice no pink bits. I dont want to cook the meat off now, I just want to brown it and remove the pink colour.
080810-Meat.jpg

Finally add the tomato and mix till well combined, put into an oven on a low heat (140C) and let simmer for as long as possible. Preferably a minimum 6 hours, however the longer the better.

Just before going in the oven the tomato is diced and added. Now, you will notice the skins on, thats actually on purpose, I am cooking for an old italian couple and the "Nonna" is very critical, its easier to add something easy to pick on (the tomato skins) than to make her work too hard to find something wrong ... this way she spots a problem, criticises it, and then enjoys the meal anyway without having to spend time trying to find something wrong with the meal (a trick I learned from my sister who has done a great deal of cooking for them)
080810-Tomato.jpg

Getting there (note the tomato has reduced, some skins are left - nice)
080810-Ragunearlydone.jpg

Prior to dishing:

Cook the pasta. Simple, being fresh it doesnt take as long as dried pasta, do it in small quantities, simply drop the fresh pasta into well salted and oiled rapidly boiling water. The pasta should sink below the surface. When its nearly cooked it will begin floating on the surface, wait a minute or two before breaking a small piece and tasting it for "Al Dente" this takes a little skill as fresh pasta is already soft so you need to make sure its cooked but not soggy. The whole process should not take any longer than 6 or so minutes. You MUST keep the water rapidly boiling so dont add too much pasta which makes the water temp drop too much.

Dish the pasta up, spoon over the Ragu and serve with some fresh shaved Parmesan cheese.

Highlights added through the day as events arise :LOL:

Last edited:
Nice. Do you quickly rinse the pasta under slightly warm or cool water to stop the cooking process, or do you just spoon it out of the water and cover with sauce immediately?

you don't rinse pasta god damn it you just drain it and plate it

edit: because by rinsing you wash off the whatever the hell it is that makes the sauce bind to the noodle

Yes, NEVER rinse pasta before serving, the starch is rinsed off, and you never serve a hot sauce on a cold pasta ... like restaurants never serve a hot meal on a cold plate.

Hm, I've been able to do a quick rinse to remove the starch (keeps noodles especially from clumping together) and have the pasta still be hot enough to match the sauce.

Usually salting/oiling the pot does the job though.

The starch is also to help the sauce stick to the pasta, it also has flavour. Up to you of course, if you prefer it rinsed go for it of course.

Hm, I've been able to do a quick rinse to remove the starch (keeps noodles especially from clumping together) and have the pasta still be hot enough to match the sauce.

Usually salting/oiling the pot does the job though.

Hmm, I thought salt just add to the pasta flavor + increase the boiling temperature slightly.

I put a bit of oil when I cook pasta but my pasta can still clump afterwards. If I don't want to deal with clumpy pasta (not serving immediately), then I tend to rinse with water very quickly to wash off the starch to prevent clumping.

if it's clumping when you cook it you're not using enough water.

if it's clumping after you cook it, no big deal. sauce will loosen up the starch and free the pasta. and the starch will help thicken whatever sauce you're using.

and depending on the pasta and what you're using it for, it's perfectly okay to rinse the pasta in cold water.

Putting oil in the water when cooking it just keeps the starch in the water from forming a foam and boiling over making a mess.

And you went though the trouble to make your own pasta and used canned sauce?

the theory of oil preventing sticking is un-true, but you're right that it does add flavor and that's the only reason i would add it in.

Hmm, I thought salt just add to the pasta flavor + increase the boiling temperature slightly.

No, this is the most common misconception out there ... adding salt (even a 1 cup to 10 quarts of water) will only ever increase the temperature by little more than 1F (get a digital thermometer and try it - I did) one can argue that adding salt increases the "bubble" by providing impurities for the steam to bubble from (nucleation) but thats a very far stretch with no scientific merit.

The key to cooking pasta is keeing the water rapidly boiling and adding it in small amounts so the water doesnt go off the boil.

Unfortunately the fettuccine was wetter than I wanted, its just means a little breaking up when it comes to the boil (not the pasta breaking up during boiling, breaking it appart because its sticking together a little before putting it in the water)

Back