Paypal: Transaction Held for Inquiry?

Crash_Site

Veteran X
So anyways, I sold a character the other day. The guy paid me through paypal, I had the money in my paypal, and then sent the money from paypal to my bank. Figuring I had the money, I gave the guy a new account, and transferred my character from my account to the new one and gave the dude the information.

Low and behold I wake up this morning and I see I got some emails from Paypal saying that there is negative funds in my paypal account and they had to cancel the wire to my bank. I log into Paypal and it says $0.00 and there is some resolution center crap telling me that paypal reversed that transaction and all funds relating to the transaction from the guy who sent me the money to me are being HELD. So what I am figuring is paypal is holding onto the money or did the guy do a charge back or something?

So anyways I see that I have to respond and say whether I sent the items being purchased in the auction and I was like totally confused what to write so I just wrote that I sold the use of internet property and there was nothing wrong on my end except this transaction being held.

So I call the guy that sent me the money and he says he didn't do a charge back or anything and I told him to log on paypal and get it fixed. Well anyways, the whole "investigation" process still says its waiting for response from other party. I am gonna give it one more day and then call paypal and complain since it really doesnt say why this all is happening.

Anyone got any advice?

I'd say the guy did a charge back.. next time you transfer the money to your account, wait until the money is in there and then remove the bank account # from your paypal account.

this has happened to me twice,

its a scam and i highly doubt you will get your money. and from the sound of it, your account is long gone too.

sorry :[ tough luck

I didn't give him the cd key though, so if this doesnt work out I will just call Blizzard and say i got scammed into giving someone my secret question and answer and then prove I own the account because I have the original CD case, the CC the account was created with and I still know the Secret Answer and Question.

It may be a scam except the guy was so nice and gave me his address and phone number. I checked the area code and it matched the address he gave me. He is from British Columbia in Canada. He sounded like he was 20 or something. I am thinking maybe paypal is checking it out since it is a transaction from there to the USA or something. He also let me log on after he changed password to cancel my recurring subscription. I will keep people updated.

How long does it take to do a charge back? I mean this happened basically in the same night. And when I called to ask he actually answered his phone and told me he didn't do anything like that.

You will not get the money back

Reclaim the account

The guy was probably stalling you so he could re-sell it or something

Yea he probably was reselling it. I think you are right. Here is the paypal thing I got:

One of the benefits of using PayPal is that we make every effort to alert
you to potentially problematic transactions. Our goal is to help you make
sound business decisions.

From time to time, we request additional information about PayPal payments.
This is a security measure meant to protect you from problem transactions.

We would like to learn more about this transaction. Please log in to your
PayPal account and provide some information.

We strongly advise that you not ship the item until our investigation is
complete. If you have already shipped the item, please log in and let us
know where you shipped it.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until the investigation is
complete.

He renamed the character though to what his MSN name is and then played some arenas, so this is a crazy situation. Pretty stupid that after you get money in your paypal account they can just take it out whenever they please, what a terrible situation, I am never gonna do this shit again.

Last edited:
u cant recall using your CD key

but

if there is an investigation open, they'll ask you to fax things like your drivers license/ utility bill to blizzard

didn't someone post a fullproof way to protect your account?

I suggest doing that in the future.

:p

didn't read all the way through this thread

I do know that paypal randomly picks out transactions and holds the funds for a few days (probably till one of their guys gets a chance to manually look at the people involved in the transaction, see what is being paid for, and cross check their records for any flags). They'll then release the $$ and thank you for your cooperation.

This happened to me only once or twice, but I couldn't see any way those payments were any different from hundreds of similar payments :shrug: I think you just got unlucky.

didn't read all the way through this thread

I do know that paypal randomly picks out transactions and holds the funds for a few days (probably till one of their guys gets a chance to manually look at the people involved in the transaction, see what is being paid for, and cross check their records for any flags). They'll then release the $$ and thank you for your cooperation.

This happened to me only once or twice, but I couldn't see any way those payments were any different from hundreds of similar payments :shrug: I think you just got unlucky.

I hope you are right.

The guy actually sent me an email today saying that he didn't do a charge back and that he would Email paypal to see what the deal was. I am gonna go head and call them tomorrow.

Guy is retarded though, I told him to just log in and take care of it.

I was gonna take my account back tomorrow but I guess I will just give it a few more days and see if something works itself out.

Somebody did this to my roommate today, the account was given to the person last night and today the money is gone out of the paypal account.

Seems the selling process is packed full of scammers, which isn't suprising. Hah best was after the character was put up on a selling site and buyers were narrowed down a email showed up from "Blizzard Support" saying that the account has been flagged because it appears it is trying to be sold, and that the account will be banned if you don't email them your account login name, pw, secret word and your credit card number... I bet a few people fall for that.

Anyone who sells and doesn't wait until the money is in your bank account before giving them the login/pw is pretty much dumb ;[ If they won't wait the 3-4 days for it to process they are 90% of the time trying to pull a scam. I also usually wait until I mail out a confirmed delivery package usually with a copy of the WoW discs or something. Depending on the person it'll be normal delivery confirmation for tracking # and sometimes I do signature confirmation.

I don't give the SQ/SA anymore either it's just not worth it and makes sure I get quick recovery.

I'm at 5 people trying to scam out of the 20 accounts or so I've sold between ebay and realpoor.com. Four out of the five got their money back (this was before I started mailing out stuff for safety) but I got my accounts back w/ all items restored in less than 24 hours. The fifth got to eat a dick cause paypal went in my favor with my ebay seller protection, my signature confirmation etc. So I got my account back and kept his $200.

In short. Call blizzard and tell them you got hacked or whatever. Tell them to freeze the account and then fax in a copy of your drivers license and their retrieval form. Will take 2-3 days and you'll get your shit all back and know better next time you try to sell.

Back