Damn These Serps Hit Hard

ViRGE

Veteran XX
To our resident tanking gurus, what's the best setup to handle Serp ships? My config is built around Guristas(with their heavy use of Kinetic), so I'm not sure how to tank the Serps well given I only have 3 slots I can devote to hardeners. What's a good Serp tanking config?

I use 1xtherm 1xkin 1xexpl but they still hit rather hard. I'm trying out new setups too. Since you have tried the gur setup, perhaps 2xtherm 1xkin might do the trick? I will try it out soon and let you know.

BEAST420 said:
I use 1xtherm 1xkin 1xexpl but they still hit rather hard. I'm trying out new setups too. Since you have tried the gur setup, perhaps 2xtherm 1xkin might do the trick? I will try it out soon and let you know.
Well in theory if their damage is proportional with standard hybrid damage, then they always do more Kin than Thermal, so it's better to have more Kin than thermal. Still, that means there's a lot of thermal damage still getting through, hence my dilemma.

Do Serps really hit harder than Guristas and such? It always seemed to me that Guristas were tougher to tank. *shrug*

Anyway, I use 2xkin 1xtherm for Serps (at least for armor-tanking, no idea about shields.)

Serpentis do slightly more kinetic damage than thermal, but the damage is pretty close to equal between the two. If you can't use 4 hardeners, you're SOL.

Grismar has a fairly accurate database from my experience with it when regarding rats. Fire it up in the IGB and it'll even give you the description links.

In my experience, the Serps like to throw more thermal than kinetic, but the ratio is still pretty damn close.

Curiously enough, they also can't take kinetic or thermal damage very well.

I've toyed myself with the idea of putting a passive +15/all resist plating on and then an active hardener for each. (this is if I don't want to 4-slot tank 'em). I also have some levels in Thermal Armor Compensation and Kinetic Armor Compensation, so...

2x kin 1x therm

They do marginally more kin than therm. Also, kin is the more popular damage type for PC's, in case you run into them.

One named LARp should be all you need with those three hardeners. With 4/4 cap skills, 4 cap rechargers and one CPR you can run a LARp'er + AB for quite some time, and a lARp forever in a domi and prolly a mega without firing guns.

My domi NPC'er is this:

4x Large Neuts
2x Tractor Beams

1x t2 AB
4x cap rechargers

1 LARp
2x kin
1x therm
2x Nanofibers
1x CPR

Runs either AB or LARp forever. Nano's and tractor speed up loot collection to nothing. You only need the AB to close, once you're in range, the two tractors make loot collection a breeze.

Remember, cruisers and BC's in fade drop named expanders.

Also ver, are you thinking about tanking for mining, or NPC'ing? Cause the tanking req's are faaar different for the two.

Last edited:
Hani, why the hell would I be ratting? :p

Anyhow, it's an interesting setup, but it disagrees with the NPC charts Lockout listed. All of those put the Serps of doing around 1.5x to 2x the therm damage as kinetic, so it would seem 2x therm and 1x kinetic would be the better way to go.

2 kin, 1 thermal. No matter if its serps or guristas. Or if you are shield or armor tanking.

Also both serps and guristas ships are vaulnerable to kinetic dmg. So use either hybrids or jug torps.

Verite. If you are tanking to mine in your dom or mega. Toss on a 1600 rolled plate and a large accom or large rep T2. Every other slot should be cap. If you do not have unlimited cap with that set up, drop the plate.

Back