ISS Borealis Investment Pool

ViRGE

Veteran XX
So the Interstellar Starbase Syndicate is going to build a new Outpost up in western PB next month as part of their commercial expansion plans. This is going to be good for us, as they have a financial incentive to help keep piracy down and stability up in the region, not to mention it effectively extends parts of the empire market directly to us.:)

Anyhow, it's a true business, so they're throwing a full IPO to raise money for Borealis, based on 3400 shares @ 10mil/piece(so total revenue is the 34bil needed for construction), with the shares earning dividends on Borealis' revenue and whatever increase in value the shares may experience. The reason I'm putting this thread together is because the minimum share order is 10 shares(100mil ISK) and since few of us have that kind of money, I'm trying to see if we can't pool together some people to get in on this and buy some shares.

I'm in for 3 shares, though I won't be back to pay until early January.

Somebody with a little more knowledge of the game describe to me the process of buying a share and earning with it.

I've not yet broken out in to the real team-based portions of the game, but shares of corporations intrigue me.... and I have enough for at least 1 share right now... maybe 2, if I feel it's a real good idea.

It's basically like a real stock market share. You give ISS 10mil, they give you one of 3400 shares in the company. With the share you get proportional voting rights on matters regarding the Outpost(if they decide to change anything, the shareholders have to approve it), and you get paid a dividend every month for the shares you own. You can also do speculative trading based on the value you think the shares are worth.

There are also the more subtle reasons for investment; in this case investing in the Outpost may have 2nd-hand economic benefits, such as greater stability letting us mine more.

Last edited:
When I buy a share... am I buying a share of the company? or of the station? That is, if they open ANOTHER station, would I get voting rights there also?

(sorry for the dumb question... this is more a matter of me trying to learn the high-end game mechanics)

Nevermind... after reading up on it a little... I understand.

They are creating a corporation specifically for this station, so as to not mix shareholders of one venture in with others. That makes sense I guess. Seems like this is happening TODAY though, so I think we're going to miss out no matter what.

They'll be selling shares up until the 31st or until they run out, whichever comes first. We have priority in buying them for the next couple of days since we're residents of the proposed service area.

When I read this on the eve-o forums, I thought it looked sweet. But once I read that the proposed site is in western PB, meh. I'd be more inclined to do it if it were a place I'd visit and use often.

The business plan says the expected return is ~ 500k-600k per month per share. That could mean 20 months to get a + return on investment, based on dividends alone. Plus, all that is considering that the outpost is a success. It's already been noted in that forum post that there are a number of NPC outposts in the area (unlike where ISS set up its last outpost), so why would people prefer to use this new one instead of what's currently available? Risky business in this game :shrug:

If I read some compelling arguments, then maybe.

Colosus said:
Yeah. After reading the business proposal, I agree with Fission. An ROI of 20 months is insane.
Which is why you also factor in the fact that the share prices themselves increase. It's not "20 months to get your money back", it's "free money every month since you can get at least 10mil selling the share".

Anyhow, if any of you guys are going to invest, please say exactly how many shares you're going to buy, and only if you'd seriously pony up the cash right now. I need to know if/when we reach the 10 share number we need to hit.

Last edited:
ViRGE said:
Which is why you also factor in the fact that the share prices themselves increase. It's not "20 months to get your money back", it's "free money every month since you can get at least 10mil selling the share".

Anyhow, if any of you guys are going to invest, please say exactly how many shares you're going to buy, and only if you'd seriously pony up the cash right now. I need to know if/when we reach the 10 share number we need to hit.
WTF would buy them though (from me)... I don't get it.

Colosus said:
WTF would buy them though (from me)... I don't get it.
Other investors, especially the rich guys. Marginis shares are up 70% since their inception only few months ago. 200 shares also entitles you to an office.

Last edited:
Back