Wtf??? (Professor issues)

THE STORY SO FAR

Yoda posted this rant about his PolySci professor:

Yoda said:
I'm taking Poly Sci 102B, Comparitive politics because I have to fulfil "clusters", aka take non-science courses. The class has about 150 people in it and most of them are freshmen and from our 3 class long discussion of the distinctions between "independant variables and dependant variables", I think that it is safe to say that the class level is a few knotches below what I've come to expect of Wash U. Anyways, I've taken the habit of showing up to the class because we have daily quizes on the reading, taking the quiz and then reading the New York Times and half listen to what the guy is saying since it really is just about the most trivial stuff you could ever imagine complemented by idiotic questions.

Anyways, so I got an e-mail this morning saying, "I have office hours from 2:30 to 4:30 today. Stop by. Bring the guy who sits next to you." Nothing else in the e-mail, just that. Now given that there was no prior contact I want to know what the heck he wants to talk to me about so I e-mail him back because I have class on Wednesday from 9am till 6:30pm with only an hour break at 11 and obviously if this isn't really important I'm not going to miss a serious class, say Physics 589 at 2pm... I expain my scedule and ask what he wants to meet about and get this in response:

"As I am sure you probably guessed, I want to talk to you about your behavior during my lectures and 2:00 tomorrow will be fine."

Obviously, I've just told the man that I have class and two exams tommorow afternoon/night. I responded asking how my behavior was out of line and apologizing if I had offended him. And I get a final e-mail saying, "I'll see you at 2." And now I don't know what to write back... Or if to even write back.

Seriously, I mean I know the guy is a prick, I knew this even before he e-mailed me. But seriously, in a large lecture hall he is on someone's case for reading a newspaper? I mean the only other time I've talked in his class was bashing the textbook that we are using because it is about as dumb as the stupid questions that get asked, which got me a round of applause from the students and the TAs... Nothing major, but the author kept saying that economic equality is essential in a country and that you can't have freedom with out economic equality, which as a Libretarian is quite frustrating and I explained what I thought in class. *sigh* [/rant]

Cliffs
- I read NYT in class
- I tell the class that the textbook is very biased and slanted
- I get an e-mail telling me to meet with the Professor
- I can't meet at the time that he asked so I ask him via e-mail about what he wants to meet about
- The professor replies saying that I need to meet with him at 2, even though I have class and exams.

Yoda got flamed for the next 8-ish pages, until someone manages to get the contact info for Yoda's professor. Plans ensued, including calling the professor, pretending to be Yoda, etc. Well, I knew Yoda's real name, so I threatened to give it out for further entertainment. Yoda decided to bullshit us that he had already talked to his professor and told him about this thread. That was a lie, obviously. Yoda also gave out his own name by his own accord. Anyway, CheeseSteak decided to email Yoda's professor with a link to this thread, and a bit of his own $.02..

CheeseSteak's Email said:
Concerning one of your students...

I know you don't know me, but I frequent an online message board dedicated to videogames and I came across a post made by one of your students who is named Thomas Loh which I fouind quite disturbing...

He goes by the nickname "Yoda" and here is a link to the thread in question.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/sho...92&page=5&pp=20

Here is his original post verbatim...
------------
... (Yoda's Post)
------------

I am a college student myself and behavior like this is completely unacceptable in an institution of higher learning. His attitude is unacceptable and I hope something is done about this for the sake of his classmates who may actually care about the money and time they spend in your class.

Thank you for your time.

This sparked a fire of hilarity that was killed on page 11. Skip 11-15.

Last edited:
You have other responsibilities so I wouldn't worry about going to see him. You may want to lay off flipping through the paper on someone else's time, though.

Yoda said:
Wow, TW has gone pinko communist on me, I thought that other people might have had self-ritchous lefty professors as well...

just because we don't give a fuck about your half finished thread doesn't mean that we're communists.

I used to get "busted" for doing my programming homework in philosophy class.

The prof made sure to call on me at least twice a day. What a moron.

Years later I have a full time job. Doing what do you think? Not philosophy.

that's actually a shitty thing to make you do

most professors don't go after students who dont take their class seriously, they just teach to the ones that do

especially in a 100 level course

edit: unless of course he insecure about the subject he's teaching and wants to make it seem more important or harder than it really is, if so fuck his ass and switch to another class while you still can

Last edited:
It's disrespectful to show up and ignore him, especially doing something distracting to other students. You wasted his time, he should get to waste yours.

Fuck that nigga.

drop the class or man up and defend yourself. don't let this bitch walk over you

Fool said:
It's disrespectful to show up and ignore him, especially doing something distracting to other students. You wasted his time, he should get to waste yours.

If there were no daily quizzes he could (amd I'm sure would) skip. Daily quizzes force him to be there.

Yoda said:
Well, I'm more or less asking if I should go to the meeting or not? I mean how bad can he make it for me in the class? He doesn't grade papers, but I'm sure that if I don't show up he'll figure out some way to hit me...

Email him back saying that you're not going to miss any class or exam for his meeting and that if he would like to discuss something with you he'll either have to do it via email or a time that is open to both of you.

you know, handle it like an adult.

I'd say don't go to the meeting. You've explained to him that you have important classes to attend, and you have exams to take. It doesn't sound like you've been disrupting the class. How are your grades in the class? If they're okay, I would say that there isn't an issue at all, and your professor is just being an ass.

Back