Pal build questions

KambuL

Veteran X
If anyone can help me answer the questions I have about my build, I would appreciate it.

Here is the general build I want for my paladin. But, I am not happy about it because I am still unclear on a few minor issues. Overall, I want to make a solid PVP build, this does not mean 1 on 1 PVP only. I want to be well rounded for 1 on 1 and group PVP, which is why I chose to take things like Blessing of Kings. Before I can ask my questions, I have to run through my build.

Holy Talents (14 points)
#Spiritual Focus - 5/5 points
#Improved Holy Light - 3/3 points
#Illumination - 5/5 points
#Divine Favor - 1/1 point

Protection Talents (5 points)
#Improved Devotion Aura - 5/5 points

Retribution Talents (32 points)
# Improved Blessing of Might - 5/5 points
# Two-Handed Weapon Specialization - 5/5 points
# Improved Seal of the Crusader - 5/5 points
# Vengeance - 5/5 points
# Seal of Command - 1/1 point
# Deflection - 4/5 points
# Consecration - 1/1 point
# Conviction - 5/5 points
# Blessing of Kings - 1/1 point

Now, the questions.

1) I want Blessing of Kings. To get that talent, I need to spend at least 4 points in either Deflection, which at rank 4 would increase my Parry chance by 4%, or Anticipation, which would increase my defense skill by 8 points. I need to spend these 4 points to get further down the tree. Frankly, I don't know what would be more beneficial. Overall, I am looking at what would save me the most HP during a fight here.

2) The second issue is a little harder for me to decide on. It is the reason I only have 4 points in Deflection at the moment, and don't have Toughness. Right now I'm taking Improved Holy Light over Toughness, and taking away 1 point from Deflection (or anticipation) to max it. This would give my Holy Light a 12% boost in healing power. My reasoning for this is that the max I could have in toughness is 3 points, and only if I take one away from Deflection or Anticipation. This would only yield me a 6% armor bonus from items. A rank 8 Holy Light heals for at least 1246 HP. If my math is correct, 12% of this is roughly an extra 150 HP per heal.

So the question is, what would yield me more HP in a fight. An extra 150 HP healed every time I use Holy Light, or the absorption bonus toughness would give me from the 6% extra AC on all of my items? I am thinking about how many times I would use my Holy Light in a fight, and thinking how quickly that could add up to a good amount of HP. I also realize that at level 60, that extra armor doesn't affect you as much. I just want to know if it is significant when compared to imp. holy light. Keep in mind that most of the time I am going to be running Imp. Devotion Aura, which should give about an extra 950 AC.

Here is what I played in beta, has great dps if you are going to pvp. If you are planing on mostly pve, you should probably do a holy/protection build.

Holy Talents (11 points)
# Spiritual Focus - 5/5 points
# Illumination - 5/5 points
# Divine Favor - 1/1 point

Protection Talents (0 points)

Retribution Talents (40 points)
# Deflection - 5/5 points
# Seal of Command - 1/1 point
# Vengeance - 5/5 points
# Anticipation - 4/5 points
# Precision - 3/3 points
# Consecration - 1/1 point
# Blessing of Kings - 1/1 point

After playing paladin up to 33. I think I have a good hold on the class. Here is my new build, which is indeed very different from my old one.

Holy Talents (16 points)

Gives your Flash of Light and Holy Light spells a 70% chance to not lose casting time when you take damage.

After getting a critical effect from your Flash of Light or Holy Light spell, gives you a ? chance to gain Mana equal to the base cost of the spell.

# Improved Blessing of Wisdom - 5/5 points
Increases the effect of your Blessing of Wisdom by 20%.

When activated, gives your next Flash of Light or Holy Light spell a 100% critical effect chance.

# None

Retribution Talents (35 points)

Increases the Attack Power bonus of your Blessing of Might by 20%.

Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 5%.

Increases the Attack Power bonus of your Seal of the Crusader and the Holy damage increase of your Judgement of the Crusader by 15%.

# Vengeance - 5/5 points
Gives you a 15% bonus to Physical and Holy damage you deal for 8 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

Increases your Parry chance by 5%.

# Anticipation - 5/5 points
Increases your Defense skill by 10.

Increases your chance to get a critical strike with melee weapons by 5%.

-----------

If anyone else is playing paladin, and wants to know my reasoning for taking this build over other builds, feel free to post.

Last edited:
looks good, but could you explain why you chose what you chose? talents confuse me b/c i feel like if i put 1 point into something wrong, i'm screwed :/

why no points in Protection? (devotion aura at least)

is there a site with class builds. I have a 20 paly, and haven't used any points yet, but I intend to but purely a pvp paly

I know it looks like I change my mind alot from this thread, but I recently discovored that blessing of might is pretty worthless in comparison with blessing of wisdom, even when fighting melee classes. If I take the talent points out of that, I can actually get some abilities that are more useful to me. An extra 5% damage from 2 handed weapons is also pretty useless when you compare it to what you could get out of the holy tree. Just so you know, blessing of might increases my DPS by 8 at level 40.

Holy Talents (21 points)

Gives your Flash of Light and Holy Light spells a 70% chance to not lose casting time when you take damage.
After getting a critical effect from your Flash of Light or Holy Light spell, gives you a ? chance to gain Mana equal to the base cost of the spell.
# Improved Blessing of Wisdom - 5/5 points
Increases the effect of your Blessing of Wisdom by 20%.
When activated, gives your next Flash of Light or Holy Light spell a 100% critical effect chance.
# Divine Wisdom - 5/5 points
Increases your total Mana by 10%.

# None

Retribution Talents (30 points)
# Benediction - 5/5 points
Reduces the Mana cost of your Retribution spells by 15%.
Increases the Attack Power bonus of your Seal of the Crusader and the Holy damage increase of your Judgement of the Crusader by 15%.
Increases your Parry chance by 5%.
# Vengeance - 5/5 points
Gives you a 15% bonus to Physical and Holy damage you deal for 8 seconds after dealing a critical strike.
# Anticipation - 5/5 points
Increases your Defense skill by 10.
Increases your chance to get a critical strike with melee weapons by 5%.

It depends on what class you're fighting. Vs casters you really want to use your + resist auras (shadow / frost / fire). Vs certain rogue builds, retribution aura can actually work out to some decent damage. Vs warriors I would use devotion aura. Vs hunters with cat or raptor type pets, concentration aura will help you.

Back