[T:V]Gore and Death

Pages : [1] 2

Darius75
05-06-2003, 00:23
Whether Tribes: Vengeance should shoot for a lower ESRB rating by keeping out gore, as the last two games have done, is highly debatable. Tribes gameplay is often too difficult to be enjoyed by very small children--the games in the series are generally targeted to older players. Players who would be deterred by gore are so young that most FPS games don't appeal to them. That said, I believe that there should be a parental-control locked option for gore and blood when a player is killed. Thanks to Karma physics and the beauty of the Unreal Engine, there's potential for some cool effects:

Multiple Kills with One Shot
If a disc or laser hits a player with very little health (low shields and weakened armor), it should cut through them after killing them, opening the possibility of it hitting someone else. If the disc slices into a major joint, the limb could be separated from the body.

Corpse Damage
Anyone who has played UT2k3 has seen the possibilities for limb removal that would be possible in T:V. Bodiless limbs would bounce and roll down hills according to Karma. Shots that strike armor would leave a permanent mark at the impact site until the armor is repaired. Laser headshots could result in the ultimate fiery bad hair day a la UT2k3's lightning gun. Mortar or plasma-charred bodies might crackle with green or orange fire.

What's your position on gore in T:V?

Sir Lucius
05-06-2003, 01:33
I like gore, but I think most of those things are beyond the karma engine + network code. I wouldn't mind impact death into a wall leaving a blood splatter decal tho.

cyclonite
05-06-2003, 02:13
T1 didn't have any gore, and that was fine with me.
If there is or isn't gore I will play if the gameplay is good.

I always did enjoy railing two suckers in Q3A...

R@ND0M
05-06-2003, 02:40
GIBS

[57th]cneal
05-06-2003, 02:58
uhhh shoot your eye out possibly?

Kelster
05-06-2003, 03:15
System Shock 2 recieved an ESRB Mature for it's animated blood/gore and animated violence. No idea if T:V's SP will be required to be as frightening or gritty, but if the game is heading towards a mature theme already, I wouldn't mind seeing them go further than the "T" we're used to with T1/T2. I prefer id software's take on the whole gore matter but understand that some companies are more family oriented with their titles.

Does parental control affect a rating?

Password:xxxxxx
[x] gore
[x] language filter - edit list
[ ] demon zombies

Sir Lucius
05-06-2003, 03:38
Editing gore is so stupid. I will never understand why people are afraid of blood.

LouCypher
05-06-2003, 03:47
I hope they spend more time on gameplay and less on stupid **** like particle effects for blood spray. :-|

Beren
05-06-2003, 03:55
more gore wouldn't really add anything for me (although multiple kills would be handy, but as to blood level it wouldn't do anything for me). So i don't see the point in making a concerted effort at add more when it wouldn't really do anything to the title. You say it has a difficult gameplay for younger people to master, and so it doesn't matter if there is added gore; but i don't really see the point of adding more in purely for the sake of it. Tribes can stand out by itself, on its gameplay, without needing to pull people in cos of blood factor, or entertain players more because of it.

Yaason
05-06-2003, 04:09
i dont know how blood would be implimented well. the people wear armor so it hides most of the gore you will end up seeing. like if you stab a guy wearing armor and it penitrates, there wouldnt be as much blood as lets say, him wearing a shirt.

multi kills is a good idea for the game. its not like it will throw things out of balance because how often do you snipe a guy and somebody is directly behind him unless you are O sniping. just adds to the element of realism we all want

Sir Lucius
05-06-2003, 04:14
in t2 if you got blown up with a mortar body parts FLEW. It was cool. Just throw in some red particles in there (has to look good tho) and I'm fine with.

Don't get me wrong -- if it's not in the plan I don't have a problem with its absense.

Yaason
05-06-2003, 04:37
i wouldnt really concider red particals floating around with an explosion gore.

Kelster
05-06-2003, 04:44
I hope they spend more time on gameplay and less on stupid **** like particle effects for blood spray. :-|
I'm pretty sure graphics aren't what's kept most of us hooked on Tribes for as many years as we have. I was stuck playing T1 in software mode on a slow machine for a couple of years and there were always better looking games out there for those that had the machines to run them. So I think the gameplay issue isn't something any of us take lightly. I'd take a great playing T:V over a eye-candy/gore-based title any day.

But if Irrational/Sierra are taking the time to add touches like multiple models for the different tribes or voice-menu animations (assuming they return) I don't think it's too much of a problem to discuss gore or the target maturity level.

Yaason
05-06-2003, 04:49
they should make the mouth move on people when they talk.

DoctoR WanG
05-06-2003, 06:21
gore is cool.

Beren
05-06-2003, 07:05
they should make the mouth move on people when they talk.

now that would be kinda cool.. or be able to smile.. heh

Bloody
05-06-2003, 07:39
I thought they already said they had facial animations in? or were going to put them in?

PyroTeknik
05-06-2003, 14:17
I'd be happy with the "red mist" that is in AA.
It's not really graphic/distracting, but it lets you know who got hit and whatnot.

[meph]DarkDonut
05-06-2003, 14:20
Tribes is not about character speech animations. It's not about blood spewing or gibs flying. I hope to not have to deal with either one in the next Tribes as all it can do is take away from the real game. Blood has never been an issue, and I don't think it should be focused on in the least. Animations are a fun part of tribes but going as far as to have mouth and facial movement, I don't think it's necessary with the exception of the SP part of the game. Those kind of graphical details DO NOT matter in the longrun, especially to those of us who will be competeing.

Slash
05-06-2003, 16:17
Gameplay first and gore second.

Having said that, I want to see ****ing bloodspray when people get hit with significant killshots. A body full of holes from a chaingun should spurt blood spasticly for a few seconds.

Include that, and I'll be a happy camper. But if not, oh well. And make sure to put in a parental control, to keep the liberalist hippys happy too.