[T3] Shields on Items in T3

Pages : [1] 2

FalseMyrmidon
05-05-2003, 00:44
Are there going to be shields on things such as generators and inventory stations in T3? I liked the general idea that they were for in T2, but the implementation seemed wrong. The idea was for the shields to protect from "nicks and scratches" but somewhere along the way the shields got really overpowered leading to a more defensive oriented game. I'm thinking that there should be shields on primary items in T3 such as generators, inventory stations, turrets but not on deployables. I also think the shields should recharge quite slowly so that they are only protected from "nicks and scratches" and it doesn't become too overpowered.

Thoughts?

TeckMan
05-05-2003, 00:55
yes

Kendo
05-05-2003, 12:58
I like it too, but how about shields only work for splash damage, not direct impact? Thats only for non player items.

cAn
05-05-2003, 13:56
To be true to the tribes timeline, equipment shouldn't have shields.
T1 - didn't
T2 - did
T3 - shouldnt

but whatever

Njal Storm
05-05-2003, 20:32
To be true to the tribes timeline, equipment shouldn't have shields.
T1 - didn't
T2 - did
T3 - shouldnt

but whatever

according to the 'timeline' there hasnt been much progress for about a 1000 years because of war and strive.......

so........ there using all the same gear basically

PyroTeknik
05-05-2003, 20:58
They probably have even neater stuff in the T3 timeline.
It's 300 or something years before, so all the cool shiznit and equipment hasn't broken down or been dismantled for scraps yet :o

Njal Storm
05-05-2003, 22:32
good point.

[57th]cneal
05-05-2003, 23:10
Turrets had shields in t1

Flatscan
05-06-2003, 00:09
Nerf shields generally.

Darius75
05-06-2003, 00:26
according to the 'timeline' there hasnt been much progress for about a 1000 years because of war and strive.......

so........ there using all the same gear basically

There's plenty of technological progress happening in the Empire that filters down to the tribes, especially in the area of military R & D now that the Hordes have attacked. Technology does advance in the Wilderzone, albeit slowly. T:V will, however, take place closer to the Empire itself, so technology may be at the T2 level (according to IG).

Njal Storm
05-06-2003, 02:43
ya thats what i mean..........

the level has always been at the t2 level, just stagnate

eierye
05-06-2003, 10:02
IMO inventory stations in T1 are far too easy to destroy.. and it gets extremely tedious to keep on repairing.. especially on maps such as scarabrae, and the one with the bridge and rocks in the middle island (havent played Tribes Full for very long). So either make them harder to destroy, or have shields

or alternately, they should be easy to repair. I hate it when the enemy is skilled enough that they can arrive back inside your base even before you've repaired the stations..

[meph]DarkDonut
05-06-2003, 14:15
hah demo players make me scoff and laugh and scoff

anyway, this is how it should be...

Gens = slow regen shielding

Turrets = 1 shot from high dmg (nades and up, not discs) should disable

Deployable INV = T2 INV (infinite supply/decent shielding

We don't want the 1 shot, short range turrets from T1, but we don't want the insanely accurate long range renegades style turrets from T2. Renegades is NOT Tribes. As for generators and inventory stations, shielding should be an increase compared to T1, but compared to T2, not as much.

FalseMyrmidon
05-06-2003, 18:05
cneal']Turrets had shields in t1
deployable ones didn't

FalseMyrmidon
05-06-2003, 18:07
DarkDonut']hah demo players make me scoff and laugh and scoff

anyway, this is how it should be...

Gens = slow regen shielding

Turrets = 1 shot from high dmg (nades and up, not discs) should disable

Deployable INV = T2 INV (infinite supply/decent shielding

We don't want the 1 shot, short range turrets from T1, but we don't want the insanely accurate long range renegades style turrets from T2. Renegades is NOT Tribes. As for generators and inventory stations, shielding should be an increase compared to T1, but compared to T2, not as much.
I agree with the turrets, as long as you mean deployable turrets and not the stationary ones. Stationary ones should take more than one hit to disable I think.
Perosonally I don't want infinite supply for invs like in T2, but that's being discussed in another thread.

KOS
05-09-2003, 12:53
DarkDonut']hah demo players make me scoff and laugh and scoff

hey all the cool people played demo once upon a time... mainly because everyones computers were ****ty and they didnt all want to refresh the 800-1000 some odd servers in full

granted that was about 2-3(maybe 4) years ago or so...

also

DarkDonut']Renegades is NOT Tribes.

same with shifter, havok, and all the other crap ass mods out there that just make the game stupid(wow look at all the new 1 hit kills weapons that i can kill you with, and all the stupidly beefed up everything)

[57th]cneal
05-09-2003, 14:41
How about having one way turrets like they have in U2? That way, you can still do thinks like set up an ambush but at the same time if the enemy sees it, he/she can go around and disable it from the back.

Darius75
05-09-2003, 22:15
I hope you don't mean Unreal 2. No one should ever, ever try to emulate that game except in the graphics department.

FalseMyrmidon
05-10-2003, 18:24
i thought that the forcefields were kind of cool :shrug:
they wouldn't fit into tribes though

Vlasic
05-10-2003, 23:49
The shielding on items in T2 Classic is fine.

I don't hear people going "if only the gens were knocked out with one direct mortar instead of two!" in T2 Classic.

In fact, 2 direct mortars take down the gens in both T1 base and T2 classic.

I'll seriously be happy as long as they get the damn skiing right. Everything else is like a free gift