Mandatory Flag thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

SSJBejiita
05-03-2003, 14:10
Prob already a thread but..

Would you like the flag be wped like t2 or not be wped like in t1?

Its harder to cheat with the flag being seen as a wp but i like in t1 it takes comm. to know where it is if they're turtling etc...

Mobile flag or stable flag?

Mobile is harder to get out in the field (I love it when im capping)
but it also takes an awesome capper to disc it right into them and be gone!

Stable flag is just there and doesnt really instigate much action.

I would like Mobile flag + no WP on the flag.
T1 + T2 flag combined :]

Sir Lucius
05-03-2003, 14:16
i think thrax siad something along the lines of: "The reason the tribes2 flag was waypointed is becuase Dave could never find it."

By that I infer that there will be no waypoint to it in T:V

As for being able to disc it around...this didn't really add an intersting element of gameplay in tribes2. In fact it was more or less stupid. You'd get nothing but worthless discspam 10 fold, and while in theory you should be able to pull off some CRAZY flag moves, that was never the case due to all the spam.

Another thing is, when the flag is droped in the filed, it shouldn't stand upright. It should fall over on its side. The problem with the boucing flag debate is that when it's standing upright like that, people think you should be able to shoot and move it. But think about it on its side? Then it'd just soak up damage.

Well, that's what I think anyways.

EDIT: I DO think it'd be neat to give the flag it's on rag doll physics tho, so when someone kills the capper the flag flips on in the vector of the players death. So a hard MA and we might see it go off flying, but being chained down we'd probably see it fall to the ground with him on his back and just kind of slide off.

SSJBejiita
05-03-2003, 14:21
I dont want this to sound like an insult.. But do u even play t2 classic now?
or have you at all?

I think the mobile flag kicks ass. It adds a whole new *thing* to t2.

Either way i think is good..But T1 Terrain + a T2 flag would kick ass imo.

Sir Lucius
05-03-2003, 14:23
I don't play any games anymore -- these are just my opinions. I can't imagine a game like tr2 being nearly as good if you could disc the flag, so that's where I'm infering my expirence from.

SSJBejiita
05-03-2003, 14:32
I'm talking mainly ctf (sorry not to specify)

Since CTF captures the heart of most of the players..

It makes games more interesting imo.

PyroTeknik
05-03-2003, 14:43
Omg.
Flag ragdoll physics.

Lucius = the genius.

DD
05-03-2003, 14:49
I think a more important issue is the flag stand itself...
in t2, many ppl have complained about the overly complicated flagstands that mess up cappers because a little indent around the flag will cause the capper to come to a full stop (ie old Damnation stand)
this was never a problem in Base, but with the added speed of classic, unless you come in on an exact angle this bug will kick in
there are several main maps in which this occurs

in T:V, i think it would be easier and more enjoyable if flag stands were without frills
that is, just a flat stand (ie Pandemonium)

TeckMan
05-03-2003, 14:55
They both add interesting elements to the game.

It's definatly possible to disc the flag to yourself in T2, and is quite a skillfull maneuver.

However, in T1 with a stationary flag you can set up a route on it, which takes skill because it's in a different spot everytime.

So the question is do we want dueling skills to be encouraged (mobile falg) or movement skills encouraged (stationary flag). I vote movement / stationary because it is much more awesomer.

As for the WP I made a thread on this a while ago (should be page 2) and I said a persistant compass waypoint would be good. I'm starting to lean towards no waypoint at all though.

Sir Lucius
05-03-2003, 15:07
I dunno, I just think the falg should be basic and pub friendly. I think an element such as that needs to be more friendly for newbies. The Huston Vehicles of T:V aren't going to be using a mobile flag to improve their game, they're just going to be shooting it wildly. That's really not the way you want the pubs to run (IMO), and this is a game that needs to be for everyone.

MaxxCarnage
05-03-2003, 15:30
:wave: Lucius :signed:

slacker
05-03-2003, 15:34
mobile...is great for those last minute open field battles where someone cant just ski in and take it. its a battle over the flag and arund it, i love those.

Flatscan
05-03-2003, 15:35
Keep the flag waypointed. Head off the cheaters and just do it.

I'm indifferent between a bouncy and a stationary flag.

Hansel
05-03-2003, 16:02
Yeah keep it waypointed, otherwise only cheaters will have it waypointed.

Kelster
05-03-2003, 16:11
Our flag is secure!

I like it non-WP.

Sir Lucius
05-03-2003, 16:11
unless they remove waypoints altogether :x

Zoolooman
05-03-2003, 16:13
If you're going to waypoint it, waypoint it like we did in T1.

With a COMPASS POINTER.

I'm tired of A HUGE ICON over my enemy capper. It detracts from gameplay when it's an icon onscreen.

Instead, make it a compass pointer like in T1. :] (Or an option for either.)

Lastly, I think stationary flag is far far better. Discing a flag into your hands is rare (I normally just keep discing it on D so that picking it up IS impossible.)

That's why I say stationary flag. It allows the high speed chase to continue. No interruptions to the sweet sweet fight that rages in T1.

Also, remember the flag needs to absorb the velocity of the dead cappers, like in T1. Nothing was as awesome as mid airing a capper and watching that flag fly. :]

ABOUT RAGDOLL FLAG
Ragdoll flag would be awesome as long as it sooner or later rotates up to standing straight up (like it was one of the punching clowns with a sandbag in the bottom.)

Njal Storm
05-03-2003, 18:51
the flag should be wp'ed if it is in the sensor net.......... if out then no wp.

Njal Storm
05-03-2003, 18:53
ohh ya............

can the flag be carried in the left hand????????

that would kick..... kinda like the cg guys did it in the T2 opening movie.

SSJBejiita
05-03-2003, 18:57
I like the sensor net idea very much..

WP script like t1 on the compass i like alot...

I'm glad people actually care about this game

Darius75
05-03-2003, 19:06
If there is a WP, it should be inside the red or green IFF triangle (a little blue circle or something) and only visible to players who could normally see the IFF. I'm not sure whether the flag should be mobile or stationary, but I'm guessing that KP will pick the stationary one.