[T:V] Akimbo Heavies

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 01:06
Look at these guys -- someone had something in mind when designing them along the lines of, "And they'll need to be able to hold 2 weapons at once."

So here are my thought: Do you think this is something we'll see in multiplayer, or do you think it will only be in the single player campaign?

Do you think 2 weapons at once is something a heavy would ever need? I don't know when I think about it. On the one hand they're supposed to be god's wrath of destruction, but on the other hand TWO weapons at once? It just seems way to over powered.

Off the thread topic, but I hope tribes3 had a flame thrower. Flame throwers are cool.

TeckMan
05-02-2003, 01:47
maybe you could simulate this by having faster weapon switching for the heavy. whereas normally a player has to wait for his weapon to reload before switching, maybe a heavy could switch immediatly, the animation would just show him switchin with his other hand. Maybe you could even show this clientside but I imagine it would be disorienting.
If there's minediscs in the game, heavies should be able to switch very quickly from mortar to disc/chain to be able to compete with LDs in a duel.

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 02:53
Or maybe just an offhand weapon that the heavy always has out like the mortar or something? I don't know eactally, there have been a few times where you really want to fire your disc in ccb but you have your mortar out, or vice versa.

I'm not saying this should be in the game, I'm just speculating that they've obviously considered putting something like it in SP or MP.

R@ND0M
05-02-2003, 03:41
Akimbo weapons are overrated, I'd prefer to see No-Switch delay for all armors, or even just Heavy.

Polaris
05-02-2003, 07:18
Your switch delay should mirror the reload time of the weapon you are currently carrying. The alternative would be to delay firing on a new weapon until its been preloaded. There needs to be that delay between changing weapons and firing or you end up with weapon switching exploits.

Beren
05-02-2003, 10:23
maybe they are wanting an alternate fire button for T:V? *Shrug*

TeckMan
05-02-2003, 11:50
Your switch delay should mirror the reload time of the weapon you are currently carrying. The alternative would be to delay firing on a new weapon until its been preloaded. There needs to be that delay between changing weapons and firing or you end up with weapon switching exploits.
they're not necesarilly exploits. in ut2k3 a common tactic is to fire the lightning gun and while it's reloading switch to a different weapon, then switch back. It ensures that even when you have the best weapon in the game, you still have to be proficient with others. personally I don't see a problem with allowing a heavy to switch to disc from mortar before his mortar is reloaded.

only the heavy should be able to do this however, and perhaps only from the mortar. part of the skill of light vs light duels is having to use weapons in situations where they may not be the best suited, because of the weapon delay. You can either be really good when they're on the ground with disc but then you have to MA for air shots, or chain in the air and have a tough time when they run patterns on the ground.

Polaris
05-02-2003, 12:07
open mortar, fire, change to CG, change to mortar, fire

With no reload delay you have rapid fire mortar out of the box.

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 12:17
open mortar, fire, change to CG, change to mortar, fire

With no reload delay you have rapid fire mortar out of the box.

The reload count doesn't reset when you change back to the mortar.

old_skul
05-02-2003, 13:17
I think that's the point. That would suck.

TricKStyLe
05-02-2003, 15:47
the thing I had pictured was like only certain weapons can be held in your off hand, like plasma mortar combo etc. and you can only fire one at a time so like on SB or something you could fire a mortar coming in, then simply fire plasma with your off hand to kill the LD trying to BB you :P thats how I imagined it anyways, I didn't think the disc should be something you could hold in the off hand.

Void|deadjawa
05-02-2003, 15:55
Well no matter what itll be balanced in the end. If they have 2 weapons theyll just have them fire at half the rate. Just cuz a screenshot shows a guy with 2 mortars doesnt mean "OMG 2x destruction".

Darkpoint
05-02-2003, 16:18
fire one while the other reloads? That'd make heavies super-feared, and I think it's something t3 really needs.

If you do that, it'll give more than 1/5 the tribes world reason to learn heavy. Right now, everyone runs around in light, with the occasional ho or hof. And the hofs don't need to know how to fight, just how to be in the way.

It would also bridge the gap between vehicles and armors more than it is now.

Buk Naked
05-02-2003, 16:36
For some reason I picture dual chainguns with both firing at the same time. That would make for one badass HoF.

Darkpoint
05-02-2003, 16:48
disk and gren in either hand.

I agree though, only 1 disk.

Da_Timsta
05-02-2003, 21:21
I love the way weapong switching works in ut2k3, it's funny how they made something that simple into a huge aspect of the game - an aspect that takes skill, too.

Not sure how it would work in a Tribes context with heavies though. It would basically enable them to be attacking a base with mortars AND take down opposition with a chaingun/disclauncher. It would take loads of skill, but would he be overpowered?

Luckily, it's not up to me :-p

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 22:17
It would take loads of skill and kick ass.

Balance can be added in later. :] Aesthetics and awesomeness first. By the time beta is over, you should have all the weapons balanced out.

AbirikCham
05-03-2003, 00:25
but sometimes the feature becomes annoying like the lightning gun fire then immediatly as you click whip out your shock rifle and primary whore if you miss and repeat... but I don't think that will be a problem in t2 at least :)