[T:V] The Mandatory Mine Discing Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Zoolooman
05-01-2003, 23:40
It's the shock combo of Tribes!

It's the spice that makes Tribal life extra nice!

It's mine discing, hooray!

*Three cheers for Mine-Discing in T:V*

This is the thread in which you vote your support for one of the most unique aspects of Tribes gameplay and balance. Got an offense problem?

There is the big boom solution!

Support Mine Discing in all Tribes games!

T1 and Classic both have mine discs.

Uncapped skiing asks for mine discs, the capper killer!

You need clearing or else the defense will mine disc!

Hooray mine disc. The great equalizer!

JerryGarcia
05-01-2003, 23:44
Hooray Mind Disc! err Mine Disc

Zoolooman
05-01-2003, 23:46
Now the developers can add it in from the start (unlike the last two Tribes games!)

Now maybe it can have its own kill message!

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 00:06
Mine discing is really hokey if you think about it.

I think they should come up with an alternative that requires the same degree of skill but isn't too gimmicky.

For example, you know how unreal has the shock rifle, and if you rail one of those plasma burts they do the massive field burst?

Well maybe have something like that...like a shock grenade that can only be activated by a disc blast, or something...I dunno.

Just something a bit more organized.

I agree that weapon combos are great, but from a design point I don't know about shooting a mine in someone's face.

But then again I find plasma gun wall climbing pretty crazy too.

I would like to see a unique solution to all of this that irrational can realize.

I think we should start by listing the pros and cons of mine discing. So let's do that -- where's special? He'd probably be good at this..

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 00:13
Luci.

Much of the argument for this particular weapons combo aesthetically (the game balance reasons are obvious when you watch a classic or T1 match/pub), is that it means you combine your mine and your combo explosive into one item...

And it's so TRIBES.

We've had two games where we blow up mines.

Then again, you don't have to call them mines.

You can call them, "high explosives" or "PEMBs" (Portable Explosive Multipurpose Bombs) or whatever.

It just has to function both as a mine and a combo based explosive to go with the disc launcher. :]

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 00:27
Well the reason I bring it up is for balance issues.

The mine is desinged for the ground. It has a damage ammount and an area of effect for splash. Generally this is designed for the ground, and is ment to be avoidable to agree. Thus its damage and AOE are very high.

The question is: is all that power deserving of the skill it takes to pull off? I don't know, I'm no expert, I just know it wasn't put in tribes2 base b/c they thought there was too much power in it.

If it IS too powerful and you want to keep it in, then you have to modify the mine's damage and AoE. An alternative to this is the make an actived mine more powerful than a newly released mine (so that the have differnt values). Then you also have to dertime how you want your hitbox, weather splash damage should be a factor, etc. etc.

So while I do think there should be a disclauncher weapon toss combo, I'm wondering if it should be designed as a seperate element in terms of power and area from the mine.

addps4cat
05-02-2003, 00:28
pros:
A good reward for being able to aim a mine and disc it. obviously the amount of skill this takes depends on fast people are moving, but in general it isn't too easy

MA mine discs are ****ing sweet

cons:
Takes out cappers in one hit, this is kinda subjective because mortars take out people in one hit but only heavies get to use them.

Mines Discs become too powerful indoors where there is limited space and movement.

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 00:30
I tend to think classic managed to lower the silly power of the mine disc to a reasonable level.

Go play it. It's about half the size of the T1 explosion (which was like WOAH THATS HUGE) and does about 3/4ths the damage (still insta-kill on lights, which is the ENTIRE point of it.)

Trust me. The mine disc made a big part of the defense repetoire.

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 00:38
Well, I agree SOMEthig should be in. But irrational are the ones you have to convince.

I think my bit about the unreal shock rifle is a good argument. Good job on that lucius :)

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 00:40
They call it the "shock combo".

I referenced it at the top of my first post. :X

Yes, mine discing is the shock combo of Tribes.

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 00:44
Damn you -- you're right.

Ok. Listen to what Zoolooman said -- he's right.

Locke355
05-02-2003, 00:50
minediscing was easy and automatic in t1. too powerful for a light with that little skill requirement.

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 00:53
minediscing was easy and automatic in t1. too powerful for a light with that little skill requirement.

I agree. Classic was/is far closer to being what I consider a skillful level.

snow
05-02-2003, 00:57
look at a map with inv's and ones without, all the good LD still disc you all the time, but the more avergae really suck as they rely on the splaash of the mine more than aiming the disc itself.

cheezit
05-02-2003, 01:14
look at a map with inv's and ones without, all the good LD still disc you all the time, but the more avergae really suck as they rely on the splaash of the mine more than aiming the disc itself.

Zoolooman
05-02-2003, 01:21

I don't see what this has to do with the inclusion of mine discing in the game.

"Wow, on cluster maps mediocre people who rely on the MD as a crutch don't do as well."

Duh?

Frankly, it's irrelevant that some people take it as a crutch. Those better with the MD as a D tool will do better, as they are better players. Cluster gameplay aside, the full wrath of uncapped HO is quite well placed against a classic level mine disc.

I just don't want an AoE the size of the T1 mine. That was sometimes silly.

Same with blasting away static objects. (Generators shouldn't be too heavily affected by the mine backup.)

But people? I think it's fair game that a mine + a disc at relatively close proximity = death.

snow
05-02-2003, 01:39
i agree that it should be included, i was merely saying that as one of the "cons" it doesnt help improve your Ld skills if you can disc an area around the player instead of the player itself.

Sir Lucius
05-02-2003, 02:50
Perhapes then, as a possible balance, require a direct disc hit to set off the mine? I don't actually know if splash damage sets them off tho, but I don't think it should.

R@ND0M
05-02-2003, 03:38
Keep in mind it did even the gap of allowing people with high ping to D more efficiently.

Shinigami
05-02-2003, 04:06