T:V Skiing: Houston, we have a problem.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

old_skul
05-01-2003, 20:43
Q: Will skiing be part of Tribes: Vengeance?
You bet. Inevitable is rewriting the physics of the Unreal engine to make sure skiing works great in the game. However instead of having to start jumping around like a rabbit to start skiing, you'll instead start skiing at a certain point as you run down a hill. They've also made it so as you run up a hill you'll slow down.

Let me be the first to say No. Bad developer. Please don't change the way skiing works. Learn something from what happened with Tribes 2: if you mess with the skiing or speed caps, you have ****ed up the game and some enterprising gamer like the Zod(d)s will have to fix your ****up.

Do not use the word "instead" to describe how your "vision" of skiing will be. We do not want your "vision" - we want skiing to operate exactly like it does in Tribes 1. If you have to design the game around that, fine. Please don't mess this up.

Skiing is not just for down hills. It is for up hills (and in T1, you slow down going up hills). It is for flat areas. It is for going sideways or any direction on any surface.

Thanks.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 20:46
all I have to say is that I had better not ever by any circumstances be walking

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 21:01
I think they mayhapes be refering to the character animation :shrug:

Also I'm not too sure about that slowing down part. I mean the whole idea behind skiing (or so I thought) was that the act of going uphill did not slow you down equal to the speed you gained from going down hill (it was less, unlike real life)

MY reasoning behind this was...
http://www.phoenix-blaze.com/~sirlucius/tribalski.gif
ballbearings act like wheels :P

Imposter
05-01-2003, 21:04
I'm updating the faq. Someone pointed out to me a thread where Thrax said that skiing will sort of work the same as normal, except you'll just press a button to enter skiing mode. Guess we need clarification.

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 21:08
You should add 1 fake Q/A every time you update the faq just to give people something to discuss. Like...

Q: Will there be controlable turrets?
Yes, in fact to give the player an advantage from computer targeting player controled turrets unlock the alternate fire mode of the turrt. This varies from plasma spead to rocket turret SALVO.

nSpectre
05-01-2003, 21:57
Devs: Do not, do not, do not change the way skiing works! Do not make it automatically kick in. Do not make it a "mode" that you must select. Do not make it an "option".

It's not broken, please don't fix it.

Skiing was a skill-shot that you had to develop. It took some practice. It was a milestone in everyones "Tribes" career that made you feel ****-eating-grin good when you got it down.

Changing it (especially from just being a tap of the spacebar) will be programming for the lowest common denominator and I'll hate you for life.

Good Day.

Spiderman
05-01-2003, 22:49
We like skiing becuase it makes things happen faster. It makes our shots more dramatic and the action never cease. T2 sucked because there was always a lul in the action, shooting a walking heavy in the back with a shocklance isnt very appealing after the third or fourth time and because vehicles were force fed to us.

slacker
05-01-2003, 22:58
I'm updating the faq. Someone pointed out to me a thread where Thrax said that skiing will sort of work the same as normal, except you'll just press a button to enter skiing mode. Guess we need clarification.

;)

btw is was KP

FSB-SPY
05-01-2003, 23:07
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Thrax Panda
05-01-2003, 23:32
Let me be the first to say No. Bad developer. Please don't change the way skiing works. Learn something from what happened with Tribes 2: if you mess with the skiing or speed caps, you have ****ed up the game and some enterprising gamer like the Zod(d)s will have to fix your ****up.bad_skul.

Instead of freaking out over something which is actually not a problem, you could just ask... No, never mind that, I'm obviously in the wrong place to expect something like that.

The facts: When you run down hill you will speed up. It's possible that you may begin skiing over a certain threshold, but that's not a given - it doesn't work that way currently. It most certainly is not the only way to start skiing, or even the way we think that most people will initiate skiing. Just another way to give players more fluidity of movement. Skiing will work in much the same way it does now, this is a possible addition.

Also, please include attribution when you quote somebody. Just dropping a quote like that may give some the misconception that the person you're quoting has some sort of inside knowledge.

Yours until the next freakout,

Thrax

Zoolooman
05-01-2003, 23:36
I say you crazy rapscallion! http://users2.ev1.net/~jasonsharp/emot-monocle-circular.gif

Sassy developers are the best variety, wot wot!

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 23:54
http://www.phoenix-blaze.com/~sirlucius/tophatlol.gif

Well, at first I thought this WAS an overeaction, but now I'm thinking twice. The tone of thrax's voice -- this is a mother****ing setup.

We already KNOW tribalwar is the vaginia of the tribes community* so really there's no way I can trust anyone on this issue.

On that note, I believe skiing will be handled in a very new apporch with a complex system of penguin slides and somersaults. Using the radical new TribalBoot, players will have fun wheather it be doing a wicked grind off the stone henge, or totally flipping out and blasting someone's face off with a energy charged laser kick to the head. The animation for this would rock, b/c the player would go into a ninja stance and then totally round house flip 360 connecting to the back of the target's head. The voice announcer would go "SUPER COMBO SMASH!" and crazy sirens would go off as the screen flashed violently over a starburst vortex matte. This would then be replayed in slow motion 5 or 8 times from differnt angles and the player who made the kick would recive 100 points which he (or SHE) would recieve at the awards ceremony. Afterwards there'd be a HUGE tribal party with some mad Blood Eagle Car Bomb drinking contests. Then they'd go pick up some hot starwolf chicks and **** them so hard they'd think they'd been body blocked by a scout ram. The next morning everyone would have massive tribal hangovers and they'd probably miss their matches. They wouldn't be able to field the whole team anyways, b/c the rest of thier mates landed themselves in Starsiege jail for some DWIs. The court process would be a long and harsh one, and many would just ctrl-k before sentancing. So if that's the kind of **** you want to invoke, THRAX PANDA, just go ahead and keep this CRAZY skiing **** that you're not telling us about but doing anyways but saying you're not doing that and that no one said that but they did (but it was a secret or a misquote accoreding to YOU).

* everyone wants to **** us

Neek
05-02-2003, 00:07
<Thrax_Panda> Using the radical new TribalBoot, players will have fun wheather it be doing a wicked grind off the stone henge, or totally flipping out and blasting someone's face off with a energy charged laser kick to the head. The animation for this would rock, b/c the player would go into a ninja stance and then totally round house flip 360 connecting to the back of the target's head. The voice announcer would go "SUPER COMBO SMASH!" and crazy sirens would go off as the screen flashed violently over a starburst vortex matte. This would then be replayed in slow motion 5 or 8 times from differnt angles and the player who made the kick would recive 100 points which he (or SHE) would recieve at the awards ceremony. Afterwards there'd be a HUGE tribal party with some mad Blood Eagle Car Bomb drinking contests. Then they'd go pick up some hot starwolf chicks and **** them so hard they'd think they'd been body blocked by a scout ram. The next morning everyone would have massive tribal hangovers and they'd probably miss their matches. They wouldn't be able to field the whole team anyways, b/c the rest of thier mates landed themselves in Starsiege jail for some DWIs. The court process would be a long and harsh one, and many would just ctrl-k before sentancing.

<Kinetic_poet> Yup that's the plan. Also, everyone will have nuke launchers.

OMG OMG TRIBES SI RUINED!!!!1!!1!!!!111!

RedSpider
05-02-2003, 00:10
Skiing will work in much the same way it does now, this is a possible addition.

By this statement do you mean skiing will work like:
T1
T2
Base++
or
Classic

??

And I doubt that KP would let them **** up skiing badly, have some faith.

Thrax Panda
05-02-2003, 00:12
By this statement do you mean skiing will work like:
T1
T2
Base++
or
Classic

??

And I doubt that KP would let them **** up skiing badly, have some faith.I mean that skiing will work like skiing. Physics will be like TV physics, and your keymap is your own business.

Neek
05-02-2003, 00:14
On a side note:
If I have to listen to idiots misconstrue every goddamn thing everytime the Dev team says anything for the next 18 months...well, let's just say I'll be fondling my high powered sniper rifle and eyeing that belltower nearby with more than a passing interest.

Lets try and be in command of all the facts before flying wildly off the handle...yes?

Thrax Panda
05-02-2003, 00:15
What are handles for if not flying wildly off of?

Neek
05-02-2003, 00:17
What are handles for if not flying wildly off of?
I dunno...opening cabinets perhaps?

Sir_Homer
05-02-2003, 08:19
Let me just state that your drawing with the tribes shoe having Ball bearings is actually a pretty damn good idea :). It makes some sense. Im not sure how the balls would suddenly come out when you started skiing.. plus i admire your quick artwork, unless you had that drawing for from a long time ago, then your just a nerdy pigeon roost

Imposter
05-02-2003, 09:08
I'm pretty sure he's had that drawing for awhile.

PS Make them skate around on rollerblades and compete ...wait that Rollerball nm.

BTW KP said skiing will be just like it used to be so :chill: