[T:V] I know there's an online petition out there

Pages : [1] 2

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 13:59
to make a linux port of this game.

Is there absoutely ANY shot of something like this working? Maybe getting icculus to do it?

I don't wanna have to go back to windows :(

Yaason
05-01-2003, 14:05
the decision was that we shall refer to tribes: vengeance as t3, not T:V

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 14:07
it's the linux nerds who go to irrational for a port. So rather than asking irrational to find someone to write one, you need to find someone to ask irrational if they can write one.

Also, what's the deal with unreal engine and linux? Cuz that probably plays a big factor

Marweas
05-01-2003, 14:10
No, we agreed it was TV. There, glad it's settled.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 14:11
i'm gonna call it t:v and there's nothing you ****ers can do about it

Da_Timsta
05-01-2003, 14:20
Also, what's the deal with unreal engine and linux? Cuz that probably plays a big factor

ut and ut2k3 both works on linux, dunno about specifics to the engine though.

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 14:25
well if that's the case then it shouldn't be TOO difficult to port any engine modifications irrational makes. Now it's just up to someone to strike a deal with them.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 14:33
I know, but I'm pretty sure the Sierra guys have maintained across the board that there wouldn't be a linux port. Unless they were being wordsmiths on us (wouldn't put it past thrax) and saying it wouldn't need to be ported. UT2k3 runs on linux out of the box.

T2 didn't do well under linux. I understand this. However, with all the games that have been released under linux lately, the linux gamer base is growing. Also, T2 for linux might have done better had Loki not been struggling so much, and eventually out of business. It seems like the problem was more the relationship than the actual game.

Polaris
05-01-2003, 14:35
All the UT engine ports (at least the ones I know of) are being done by Ryan Gordon (http://www.icculus.org/). I hope they use him for this. The other option would be TransGaming (http://www.transgaming.com/) and their WineX 3.0 ports.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 14:37
yeah polaris i already mentioned icculus vav suckah

Locke355
05-01-2003, 14:43
UT2k3 runs on linux out of the box.

That is not entirely true. UT2k3 runs BETTER on linux, yes. But the installation process is so gimpified it hurts. I spent about 3 hours wondering why the **** it kept telling me the CD wasn't present, and then found some long ass hack to fix it on the UT boards. I classify "out of the box" to work for the majority of the installations w/o a problem, and from reading the forums, that is not the case.

I see no reason for not making a linux server prog for TV/T3/T:V. I would also LOVE to see an out of the box linux client, even if it came with no tech support. I realize that even if they only had 1 person working on the port project, they would lose money on the endeavour. So, because of that, I am not getting my hopes up.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 14:45
i've only run the demo, haven't gone out and bought ut2k3 yet, so i don't know about its cd install, but the demo install was super simple

p.s. locke i took your advice and, after about 3 million compiling hours and approximately 40 kernel rebuilds, i'm running gentoo :bightumb:

Ceiling_Fan
05-01-2003, 14:46
PS: Online petitions are even more useless than RL petitions, meaning they're less than useless.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 14:46
stop punching holes in my bucket of hope CF

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 17:01
cmon thrax i know you are lurking address this dammit

jsut
05-01-2003, 17:18
it was asked in the QA thread on t3.org, and basically what they said, was if a reputable company would do the port, they would probably let them.

Jelly
05-01-2003, 17:24
it was asked in the QA thread on t3.org, and basically what they said, was if a reputable company would do the port, they would probably let them.
i like their quick reply method.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 17:33
jsut, this is what i'm remembering

Q:Will Windows Be the only supported os or will there be ports to Apple and Linux platforms?

Thrax: In general there no good business reason to make a client for Apple or Linux. I know people hate to hear that, but it's true and it's hard to convince people in charge of huge budgets to spend even more for a negative return.

jsut
05-01-2003, 17:40
and following the meandering conversation about linux through the thread, we have these replies.

In general there no good business reason to make a client for Apple or Linux. I know people hate to hear that, but it's true and it's hard to convince people in charge of huge budgets to spend even more for a negative return.

Actually, that is completely not true, there is in fact no good business reason to not have a Linux client. Linux Game Publishing ( http://www.linuxgamepublishing.c om ) will produce a port at zero cost, assuming 100% of the risk, and taking a share of the sales of each game. Sierra stands no chance of losing money. Our company takes all the risk. We can provide corporate references to ensure you can have confidence you will not have your code stolen. All in all, you can NOT lose by having a Linux client, and you could gain significant goodwill and reasonable money.

Feel free to contact us.

I will. And I should have said "no good reason to develop a linux or apple client in house." Thanks for the correction.

Diablo Escobar
05-01-2003, 17:46
didn't read whichever thread you got that from, but that is some good news, thx

tell me its true thrax!