[T3] Graphical Effects (Eye-Candy)

VektorX
04-30-2003, 10:32
I know it's waaaaaaay too early into the game right now and that the dev team should be concentrating on gameplay elements, but what are some of the special environment/weapon/sound effects you want to see in tribes?

I would love to see the engine render atmosphere. ie: Picture a mortar exploding off in the distance and the smoke and flame dispersing with the wind in one direction. Before that's over, however, and scout/shrike or whatever flys through it and creates some kind of awesome wind tunnel effect on the smoke.

Kendo
04-30-2003, 10:34
I think fluid dynamics will slow performance by an insane amount, but that's just my opinion.

VektorX
04-30-2003, 10:36
you're right of course. When i think of that kind of thing, the logical conclusion to that arguement is something envisioned running at ~10 fps. Still, it would be a very interesting problem to work at within an engine ...

FSB-SPY
04-30-2003, 10:52
Would be very cool if this were possible! :shock:

VektorX
04-30-2003, 11:26
It would be quite the particle effect trick thats for sure

FSB-SPY
04-30-2003, 14:36
No doubt. Particle effect with collision detection?

VektorX
04-30-2003, 16:05
Its almost impossible to fathome how complicated some of those calculations would be for just one of those particles, never mind multiple thousands.

dan-o2
04-30-2003, 21:32
t2 has the capability to blow smoke around and such, but as for the particle effects, that'd be ****ing insane not to mention just a shred above a complete impossibility.

AbirikCham
05-01-2003, 01:06
Hmm in ut2003 if you set your world detail I think it was to the highest setting... on the map antalus where it has those particles all floating around near the celling where the super shield pickup is ... if you shoot a rocket through it, it makes all of the particles move like it collided with the rocket.

R@ND0M
05-01-2003, 01:56
I don't mind what it looks like.

I'd play Tribes 1 with stick figures and monochrome textures
Not everybody is like me though, so I'd like to see decent rain effects with great ambient sounds, ever-changing sky, real-time fog and "patches" of fog instead of fog at a certain distance.
Nice ancient aztec/japanese architecture, with immersive visuals you can lose yourself in, forests with Jungle-type trees that you can grapple around without ever touching the ground.
Huge Himalayan snow-capped mountains, with flags positioned on the very top of each mountain, requiring precision skiing to play, situated miles above the 'ground'.
Underground Mines with huge Ancient archways and passages you can speed jump around, like seen in some movies.
Battles which take place in space, or over oceans of water (Picture that T2 map, only with Water-skiing like in the Gold version of T2)

Mainly things you can look at, and just go "Wow".
Which is what I found myself saying when I first saw pictures and that beta movie of Tribes.

[meph]DarkDonut
05-01-2003, 03:25
if you played Unreal 2 you would know that this is already done...

not atmospheric interference (wind blowing smoke in different directions etc) but objects interacting with particle effects. When you fire a rocket in Unreal 2, someone can dodge it, then step through the smoke trail and the smoke will disperse with the interaction of the object, in this case the person.

So yes, imagine this....

You come in for a really fast cap on a raindance type map, explosions going off all around u. A hand nade floats up in front of you and explodes just before you reach the stand. It barely touches u but you fly through the explosion, smoke and fire dispersing around your armor as u slam into the flagstand.

It's not something we're hopeing to see, it's something we will see.

[57th]cneal
05-01-2003, 03:31
I know it's waaaaaaay too early into the game right now and that the dev team should be concentrating on gameplay elements, but what are some of the special environment/weapon/sound effects you want to see in tribes?

I would love to see the engine render atmosphere. ie: Picture a mortar exploding off in the distance and the smoke and flame dispersing with the wind in one direction. Before that's over, however, and scout/shrike or whatever flys through it and creates some kind of awesome wind tunnel effect on the smoke.

There's actually a test map for Unreal2 that shows this. If you fire a heavy powered weapon, the smoke will actually get sucked into the blast. Oh, and as I understand there is the option of having fluid but that will only be available for the high performance machines.

Void|deadjawa
05-01-2003, 10:23
Its almost impossible to fathome how complicated some of those calculations would be for just one of those particles, never mind multiple thousands.

Why?

Aerospace engineers do it every day.

FSB-SPY
05-01-2003, 11:43
Okay, now I can't wait to see something like this in Tribes. :shock:

daerid
05-01-2003, 12:17
This **** was done months ago in Torque.
Somebody put together a flamethrower that interacted in a realistic way with the environment; It would flow around people, trees, rocks, the ground, buildings.. you name it. Looked damn cool too.

R@ND0M
05-01-2003, 12:40
u get paid to talk about torque in these threads?

or have you just been around tim gift too long :P

VektorX
05-01-2003, 13:36
Why?

Aerospace engineers do it every day.
Like I'm a space mechanic :rolleyes:
Anyone have any movies of this effect?