I'm thinking of reinstalling T2.

Pages : [1] 2

Ozymandias
04-27-2003, 06:31
Any advice on T2? (other than don't bother). I played a ****load of TRIBES, but didn't play much competativly because I was on ****ty dialup and prefered C&H to CTF.

Anyway, I was wondering what's the state of T2 now? I unistalled it over a year ago, but recently got a cable modem and thought I'd try it out again. Mainly I'm wondering what mod most people play, and what scripts they recommend getting. It seems like I remember just when I was giving up on T2 some mod was becoming popular that made the gameplay of T2 a lot like unmodded TRIBES, which was what I prefered.

Also, do you still have to get that special patch before installing on Win2k?

Thanks.

Flatscan
04-27-2003, 09:53
Make sure you're graphic drivers are current before installing (probably not a problem at this point) and go to teamwarfare and get the latest map packs.

ktm
04-27-2003, 10:51
I just reinstalled T2 a few weeks ago and let me tell you: it still sucks. I never UE'd to begin with, but the gameplay is terrible. Save yourself the time and aggrivation and just use the T2 cd as a coaster.

DD
04-27-2003, 11:09
If you're looking to play T2, be sure you try to join a team, because thats the only way the game is fun. If you just reinstall and pub, you will find yourself frustrated and bored before long. As for mods that are being played, the major one is Classic, which is a lot like the original tribes. I hope you come back, we could always use another player ;)

Darius75
04-27-2003, 16:32
Eh, pubbing isn't that bad if you pick one of the better servers. I suggest [KY] Kentucky Backwoods Classic and Rapture Short Bus [GH]. PM one of the admins in irc.dynamix.com channel #rapture for the password to the latter server.

Alexander
04-27-2003, 16:38
You more than likely won't be very good. Try not to blame it on the game.

Skyler
04-27-2003, 17:37
I re-installed Tribes 2 about a week ago, and have been enjoying playing classic so far. My only gripe is all the mine-disc and grenade-disc, etc.-disc scripts that everyone has and I don't. :p

R@ND0M
04-28-2003, 02:17
Most expensive coaster I ever bought

Adept
04-28-2003, 06:45
um, what the hell are you smoking darius? ky is crap :/

jsut
04-28-2003, 08:55
I re-installed Tribes 2 about a week ago, and have been enjoying playing classic so far. My only gripe is all the mine-disc and grenade-disc, etc.-disc scripts that everyone has and I don't. :p

This can be remedied. There are a bunch of different version of the grenade-mine scripts though.

silverspirit has one here:
http://scripts.tribalwar.com/silverspirit/

though the link isn't working for me right now.

jsut
04-28-2003, 08:56

KY is only crap when all the players are crap. Sometimes it's good. I play on the ATF servers quite a bit too, they are also hit or miss.

Darius75
04-28-2003, 16:58

I'm high on life ;P. Keep in mind that the person we're advising here isn't going to be that great to start. It's good to play in semi-newb servers for awhile if you're a newb so that you don't get owned constantly.

Kerosene31
04-29-2003, 16:17
I never uninstalled T2, but rarely played since Classic came out. With the announcement of T3, I hopped back on to give it a try. (The planetside servers were down).

The biggest problem right now is that the pubs are pretty bad. Someone else mentioned that you need to get into competition to find a game. From what I have seen lately this seems true. I was on a pub last night and I noticed that the level of play was very poor. There were only a few busy servers playing, and the quality of those players was pretty poor. I was never that great of a player in T2's prime, but after not having played for a long time I was probably one of the top 6 players on a 32 person server. Back in the prime of T2, I was prolly around the middle of the pack.

Maybe there are better servers out there as people have mentioned, and I am sure competition is much more intense.

However, hopefully T2 will get some old players coming back into it. I still had fun on classic. Sure T2 isn't perfect, but I still have more fun playing it than many other games out there right now.

Give it a try. Reinstall and give it a try. Tribes 2 is still funner than most of the crappy online games out there now.

z0dd
04-29-2003, 16:31
I suggest installing the game from the CD and downloading/installing the ~90meg patch without using the in game updater. Once it's running, you'll need the map pack located at TWL:
http://www.teamwarfare.com/allnews.asp
Operations -> Downloads/Files -> Tribes2

Only Map packs you need for now:
http://www.teamwarfare.com/files/dl/Tribes2/Europack2_v112b.zip
http://www.teamwarfare.com/files/dl/Tribes2/xpack2_maps.zip

Some servers are running evaluation maps for the ladder admins.

The patch can also be downloaded from there.
http://www.teamwarfare.com/files/dl/Tribes2/si_tribes2_update_21570-24834_25034.exe

I woudn't install client side scripts until you're sure the game is running properly.

half the sky
05-01-2003, 09:03
<3 z0dd.

P.S. I finally got your ski script working for T1. The game's just not the same without it.

vempire
05-12-2003, 11:52
I just reinstalled Tribes 2 a week ago after getting bored with the Planetside beta. I have to say that I am totally into Tribes again. I absolutely loved Tribes 1 and had alot of fun in the Tribe that I helped run: Incubus [INC].

So hopefully once I scrape off the layers of rust from my skills, I will try to either find another tribe like [INC] or just form my own.

[4M]TheReverend
05-12-2003, 17:26
Yup, I reinstalled last week too after about a 6 month break...T2 classic is great...I highly suggest it. Players range from ****ty, like me currently, to pretty damn uber (shocklance MAs anyone?).

It does beat the crap out of a lot of current games out now, and since you already have it...why not?

We can use more players...especially bad ones! :)

Oni Vagrant
05-16-2003, 16:31
I just started playing again cause all this talk about T:V got me in the mood. I can honestly say I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

I second the [KY] Kentucky Backwoods Classic recommendation, I play there a lot. And so the Mod I recomend is Classic by extension.

RenGen
05-19-2003, 11:25
Just a warning: Pubs are at this point the worst they've ever been.

If you're not playing on Rapture's server you're basically garaunteed to be wasting your time, and inviting an endless barrage of headaches. (Not to say you won't get those playing on Rapture's server, too.)

Kendo
05-19-2003, 13:54
Filter > Classic otherwise it sucks.