What the future holds for us.

Pages : [1] 2

Special
04-26-2003, 16:26
The next installment of Tribes has been announced. Sierra revealed who the developer is, Irrational Games. Irrational has hired Michael "KineticPoet" Johnston to help design the game. What is to be left for the future when the game is released?

It's simple, really.

Let me whisk you away to a time where things were happy, where newbies and veterans alike co-mingled, enjoying the game of Tribes. These were the days before TWL, before TW, and even before the OGL was ever something to complain about. Skiing was just a thought in the back of a player's head, as maybe one out of the 24 people on the server could actually do it successfully. Routes were non-existant, walk-up grabs of flags were not only commonplace, but welcomed. People would use shield packs to cap on Dangerous Crossing. The repair pack was one of the more popular packs to take into combat. Who wouldn't use a repair pack, you could just heal yourself after you were shot! Broadside and Scarabrae were still in server rotation, and probably some of the more popular maps. Teams like "The Pandas" "Sofa Kings" "COWS" and "BMF" were the kings of the servers.

As a newbie, I had vivid memories of scanning servers, looking for players I admired. I would join the server to watch them in observer mode. Back then the vets were friendly. They would help a newbie like me out. "How'd you do that cap route" I'd ask. And surprise, the vet would take time to show me. At the time admins would never threaten "NO OBS IN FULL SERVER." It was great for a player like me, having courtside seats watching the Michael Jordans of Tribes. I was learning the game, and more importantly, having fun.

So what do I ask of you all?

Most of us are veterans in some varying degrees. We've all seen our share of matches, practices, pubbing, and LAN parties. We know what Tribes is about. We need to help the franchise grow by welcoming new players into the game once Vengeance is released. Granted, we will be newbies to the game, but we will at least have basic knowledge to pass around. I ask that we strip our newbie bashing mentality and adopt a nuturing mentality to help our favorite game grow. It's the least we can do.

I don't know where I'll be doing when Vengeance is released. I could be off in another country being some misplaced miscreant with no access to the internet. On the other hand, I could be some unemployed nerd with a OC48 connection to the internet, with all the time on my hands. In the latter case I would help run things like this: Ideally I would like to see some organizations (be it webpages, IRC rooms, or whatever) that would cater to teaching newbies the game. We could have a #learn room where newbies could ask any questions they want without fearing any repercussions.

The message i'm conveying to you guys is that we all know how great a game Tribes is. Sierra knows this, Irrational knows this, which is why they're trying their hardest to get new people to play the game. Once they've gotten somebody to buy the game and try it, it becomes our duty to take the reins and take it further.

GreenDookie
04-26-2003, 16:31
When T2 first came out I loved helping new people. I would usually just pass the flag off half way, to let them learn the excitement of having the flag and capping. I would encourage them if I saw they had a hard time killing people, and finally got that kill.

Making fun of newbies is dumb. Everyone, at some point, was a newb. :)

Ben Reed
04-26-2003, 23:36
****, I'd help, assuming I played the game often enough.

cyclonite
04-26-2003, 23:44
I still remember the guy who taught me the basics of Tribes. I would love to be able to remember his nick :(
He taught me how to repair stuff! And the fine art of O sniping, and the fact that when you are a heavy with a shield pack O sniping isn't really that effective, lol.
I really can't wait, cause I only started playing Tribes a few years ago, and I started off as a newb while everyone else was rather good. But T: V will be new to us all, so everyone will be on a relatively level playing field. Watching what happens to the clan scene will be fascinating :D

Flatscan
04-27-2003, 00:01
One of my favorite "Tribes memories" was when I was still playing on a 28k modem in November? 1998. The map was Scarabrae. I teamed up with [TWaN]Puppet to attack the flag. He suited heavy shield, I suited light with repair. I flew us over, we took the chute and I repaired him as we fought down the hall. After he killed all their ****, I grabbed, ran back out the chute, took a scout somebody had parked on the far side of the building (remember how there would be three scouts there the whole map? :P), got home and capped.

I had so much fun that shortly thereafter I tried out for TWaN and made the squad (well before OGL and while still on a 28k connect lol). The great thing is I still play with many of those guys (off and on) :P. Hopefully we'll all hook up again in T:V.

Piata
04-27-2003, 00:40
The problem with trying to be nice and helping noobs is that a lot of noobs don't want to be helped. They have huge ego problems and think that every single last thing they're doing is right and makes perfect sense no matter what anyone else says.

Oni Vagrant
04-27-2003, 00:54
A noob that doesn't want help is no noob at all, just an egotistical ass who is never going to get better. Just my opinion.

:)

When I was new, I would have welcomed advice from the vets. Hell, I haven't had much of a chance to play lately, so chances are, I'll really suck when I get back into it.

filsinger
04-27-2003, 01:04
i had a similar experience with a vet helping me out, showing me the reigns. If it wasnt for him then I would probably have never played as much as I did. We would stay up to the wee hours of the night dueling, or going over routes... was a great time.

I would be up to lend a hand if someone was gonna lead such a venture.

Darius75
04-27-2003, 02:13
bump

Viet_Vet
05-01-2003, 19:06
I run 4 servers, and would be happy to make one of them a "Help The N00bs" server for the first 6 months after the game is released, longer if enough interest is shown.

I had a ton of help from people when I first started playing as "ace". Nat was the first one to teach me to ditch the repair pack and use e-pack when playing LO, Tigger took the time to show me where the flag was on Scarabrae (wandered around for 5 minutes trying to find it:)), and many others gave me their time to help me learn. Back then we were all newbies, but some learned faster than others, and gave their time freely.

It's good to see you post this, Special. I think hearing it from you, some of the other vets that are looked up to will join in as well.

Yogi
05-01-2003, 19:15
This also means welcoming new people to TW.

Assholes ;)

FSB-SPY
05-01-2003, 19:43
One of the better parts of my site that will have content will include key info/FAQ on the new game. Maybe even a little "Tips&Tricks" thrown in somewhere about some of the common techniques that some of us take for granted now (e.g. jetpacking).

Darius75
05-01-2003, 21:10
Although I can't afford my own server, I'd be willing to help admin a newb-friendly server and teach the players who go there.

Sir Lucius
05-01-2003, 21:10
One of the better parts of my site that will have content will include key info/FAQ on the new game. Maybe even a little "Tips&Tricks" thrown in somewhere about some of the common techniques that some of us take for granted now (e.g. jetpacking).

And call it Spy's Spy Files. And have Spy run it and then everyone will have ranks, like Junior Detective, and Senior Junior Detective!

BlodBath-VuP-
05-01-2003, 21:31
seconded. i remember a wonderful player by the name of 'Mata Hari' who tought me how to ski and introduced me to my vup buddies. good times.

MasterAce
05-02-2003, 02:40
Bump

R@ND0M
05-02-2003, 03:32
i probably wouldnt have stuck with t1 if it werent for "cowboys" and people to look up to when i began in july '99

it gives you something to aspire to

Polaris
05-02-2003, 07:24
I wonder how much having single player mode will help the n00b population.

Evita
05-02-2003, 08:09
You have an excellent point special.

I got T1 the week it hit the shelves, and have played it and only it ever since. Well, I have been trying other games for the past two years, but they only last about 1-3 days. Nothing else seems to give me the T1 'fix'.

Point is, im a newbie at every single game but Tribes. I started playing some CS 5 days ago. There were awesome vets in the server that were giving me advice on different aspects of the game, and I never even asked for help. If that had been Tribes, I would have been scoffed at and banned. Heh.

DOOPY_LOOPY
05-02-2003, 08:14
hopefully a lot but it will be up to the rest of us miscreants to assist.