T3 should bring back capping - and this doesn't just mean fixing skiing

Flatscan
04-22-2003, 17:42
T2 capping was hugely nerfed in all of T2's incarnations (base, ++, classic).

While the physics of skiing clearly impacted base and ++, classic physics were mostly T1-like. Despite this, capping is still straightforward and boring in classic.

There are at least two reasons for this.

First, the terrain in T2 is smooth/rolling while the terrain in T1 is craggy and jagged. HOW you hit a ski in T1 is critically important. Thus, to piece a REALLY fast route together you have to find a number of critical skiis. In T2, if you miss a ski its often not fatal as the terrain is very forgiving.

Second, the T2 classic discjump seems to impart considerable speed regardless of the quality of the route prior to the discjump. In classic you can make a casual half-ski down a slight hill, discjump and still make a high-quality run at the flag.

In contrast, to really "make a discjump pay" in T1, you had to have considerable speed prior to the discjump.

I strongly hope that T3 brings back difficult terrain and discjumps whose efficacy depends on the cappers speed prior to the disc.

Put the art back in capping.

TeckMan
04-22-2003, 19:57
I know what you mean, it seems like the DJ in t2 has diminishing returns or something. Like it'll get you from 200-300kph but only from 275-325kph or so. And yes I know you have to aim it slightly different if you're going faster.

Diablo Escobar
04-22-2003, 20:00
thats funny because I always think of the t1 terrain as smoother.

I guess what I really think is that hitting smooth terrain in t1 meant a ton of speed, while it isn't the same in t2. I think of a lot of the t2 maps and i think of just retarded, unskiiable areas, and otherwise large bowls which should be like launching pads but really are just acceptable ski areas. I think of like Raindance and SH (rd more than sh) and I think ofhuge, pretty smooth hills that if hit perfectly, will send you flying, and if you **** up, are the most unforgiving pieces of **** ever seen.

Rabid Poop
04-22-2003, 20:01
t2 classic is ridiculous, you can improvise extremely fast capping routes (and by improvise I mean find a hill anywhere and hold down spacebar)

Natural
04-22-2003, 20:53
T2 capping was hugely nerfed in all of T2's incarnations (base, ++, classic).

While the physics of skiing clearly impacted base and ++, classic physics were mostly T1-like. Despite this, capping is still straightforward and boring in classic.

There are at least two reasons for this.

First, the terrain in T2 is smooth/rolling while the terrain in T1 is craggy and jagged. HOW you hit a ski in T1 is critically important. Thus, to piece a REALLY fast route together you have to find a number of critical skiis. In T2, if you miss a ski its often not fatal as the terrain is very forgiving.

Second, the T2 classic discjump seems to impart considerable speed regardless of the quality of the route prior to the discjump. In classic you can make a casual half-ski down a slight hill, discjump and still make a high-quality run at the flag.

In contrast, to really "make a discjump pay" in T1, you had to have considerable speed prior to the discjump.

I strongly hope that T3 brings back difficult terrain and discjumps whose efficacy depends on the cappers speed prior to the disc.

Put the art back in capping.

Point #1 - Good

Point #2 - I dunno... if you get good at DJ'ing you can do some pretty crazy stuff in T1.

TeckMan
04-22-2003, 20:56
We can't all be Natural DJers

lmao

snow
04-22-2003, 20:56
but only if it is straight in front of you.
you cant move in the air which makes it ****ing hard to dodge snipers.

TeckMan
04-22-2003, 20:57
but only if it is straight in front of you.
you cant move in the air which makes it ****ing hard to dodge snipers.
what

snow
04-22-2003, 21:09
unless its been patched out recently i always found that while in the air you had to use all your jets to move like 3m right, but it has ben a while since ive played T2

Flatscan
04-23-2003, 01:40
Point #1 - Good

Point #2 - I dunno... if you get good at DJ'ing you can do some pretty crazy stuff in T1.

Agreed - my point isn't that djing isn't useful in T1 or that you can't get a significant speed boost from djing in T1. The fact that djs are widely used in T1 cap routes is a testament to the value of djing generally.

My point regarding djs is that you will catch significantly more speed from a dj (and take less damage) if you have lots of speed prior to the dj in T1. In T2, you get lots of speed from a dj with little or no approach speed. Ski down a slight embankment and dj and you will have almost as much speed as if you had skied for 200 yards and then djd.

Nat try capping on Woody Myrk. While there is some speed benefit associated with a longer approach followed by a dj, the advantage is minimal enough to cause most cappers to use simple, short skiis down a hill 300meters or less from the flag, dj and then grab.

There isn't much to it and that's too bad.

RenGen
04-23-2003, 14:49
Nerfed in classic??? Ok I'll agree that improvising routes is much easier in T2 Classic, as is finding a route to begin with, but nerfed is in no way an accurate description of T2 Classic capping knowing how fast cappers are hitting the stands these days. Capping is hard against good teams, more so than I think any of you realize. Is it as much of an 'art-form' as it was in t1? Absolutely not, but don't throw it out without taking a look at it in top 5 competition.

TeckMan
04-23-2003, 16:19
We mean nerfed as in it is less of a glory position. There's a couple cappers that are known for their speed but not like in T1, this is largely because of how much less skill it takes to be a good capper relative to other positions and T1.

Alexander
04-23-2003, 16:34
Nerfed in classic??? Ok I'll agree that improvising routes is much easier in T2 Classic, as is finding a route to begin with, but nerfed is in no way an accurate description of T2 Classic capping knowing how fast cappers are hitting the stands these days. Capping is hard against good teams, more so than I think any of you realize. Is it as much of an 'art-form' as it was in t1? Absolutely not, but don't throw it out without taking a look at it in top 5 competition.

Most of the top 10 teams break out 400+ kph routes every map. One doesn't get that kind of speed whacking off with a dj.