T1: Heaven/Hell scoring

RivetGirl

Veteran XV
Recently the scoring on Heaven/Hell was "messed up" meaning that [(KILLS+(CAPS*5)) - (SUICIDES+TKS) = ]Player Score was not displayed on the tab screen, but Andrew's brainchild player rating system was displayed in its place. People whined about it, and now things are back to normal.

As we all know, however--despite the fact that Player Score can sometimes indicate good performance--Player Score in T1 CTF is, for the most part, completely arbitrary and does not reflect player performance at all. A person racking up kills isn't necessarily helping their team to win (I know you've all seen teams with tons of negative scores win CTF maps even though the losing team's player scores were higher). Likewise, a person going offense who ends up with a negative Player Score might be making a lot of crucial plays that don't get reflected. The ever-changing objectives in a CTF mission often demand frequent suicides when players are out of position, and frequently the players who performed the best have the lowest, most negative Player Scores. That's pretty absurd. To add insult to injury, I've often seen kill-collecting defense on losing teams end up with higher scores than the highest score on the winning team.

I don't know all the ins and outs of Andrew's system, but I, for one, would prefer to have the player rating system back in place of Player Score permanently on Heaven/Hell. Hopefully it would encourage people to go offense instead of playing lazy sniper D. Today, with Andrew in the server, we were discussing just how low lazy D snipers' ratings would be... they'd look pretty foolish.

I don't really have time for reading TW such that I know everything that gets discussed, so forgive me if someone's already posted a thread about this . . . my sense is that it's a relatively new topic for discussion and hasn't really been "brought up" so to speak.

Please discuss.

the main reason (and only one i know of so far) was the CPU lag it was creating on the server.

Unless somebody can figure a way to prevent the cpu use or possibly get a replacement cpu for the server, I don't see it coming back for a while if at all.

i think you should lose points if you snipe someone on your half of the map and there should be no other way to gain/lose points except TKing

yeah, I noticed the lag... I put it together that the work of the rating system was causing the problem, but I guess I forgot about it since it was fixed. The only solutions I know of are (a) upgrade the server, (b) program the system more efficiently (dont know if this is even possible? perhaps andrew can offer us some insight..)

Yea if you can fix the lag it causes that would be nice, get points for passing and grabbing the flag, and get 0 for sniping.

You get 175 points for capping a flag, and 125 for touching a flag that gets capped, compared to 25 for a kill

That sounds like points for passing to me..

Here are the values used..

$Stats::Rating["Teamkill"] = -5;
$Stats::Rating["MineTeamkill"] = -5;
$Stats::Rating["Suicide"] = -5;
$Stats::Rating["Vehicle"] = 5;
$Stats::Rating["Chaingun"] = 25;
$Stats::Rating["Plasma"] = 15;
$Stats::Rating["Disc Launcher"] = 25;
$Stats::Rating["Explosives"] = 20;
$Stats::Rating["Laser Rifle"] = 20;
$Stats::Rating["Mortar"] = 15;
$Stats::Rating["Blaster"] = 5;
$Stats::Rating["Elf Gun"] = 5;

$Stats::Rating["Grab"] = 10;
$Stats::Rating["Pickup"] = 10;
$Stats::Rating["Drop"] = -5;

$Stats::Rating["CarrierKill"] = 40;

$Stats::Rating["Return"] = 10;
$Stats::Rating["StandoffReturn"] = 25;

$Stats::Rating["Assist"] = 125;
$Stats::Rating["Cap"] = 175;

$Stats::Rating["MortarDeath"] = -1;
$Stats::Rating["OtherDeath"] = -2;

so yeah, I think we all need to chip in and buy Candy a new processor or two

[21:24:33] <CandyMan> i bugged him to get it on, and it freaked the cpu out
[21:24:41] <CandyMan> tribes.exe takes 80-100% cpu
[21:24:42] <CandyMan> non stop

Not candy, CF.

The one in it now i believe is a 450, hell has a 500 and it didnt lag nearly as bad as heaven did.

All it would take is a slightly faster proc and the coax'ing of CF to put it in :D

ASK-CandyMan said:
All it would take is a slightly faster proc and the coax'ing of CF to put it in :D

I work on a $0 budget policy. If someone wants to send me a faster processor, they can do so and I will gladly install it. :)

[meph]DooM! said:
You get 175 points for capping a flag, and 125 for touching a flag that gets capped, compared to 25 for a kill

That sounds like points for passing to me..

I dont ever check for my personal score, or look at anyone else's so i didnt know there was points being awarded for passing/grabbing the flags. My bad.

i never have looked at my personal score, it just never occured to me that that would have any indication of how good or how much fun i am having, because it simply doesn't. if you want to be a stat whore, go play cs.

You make a good point, mall0ry. Unfortunately, many players don't look at it that way. I know there was one LD recently that everyone could tell was clearly racking up kill points on the score board map after map. I can't remember his name... I'm pretty sure it started with 'V' (not valcom, although valcom might remember who it was - if you remember, valcom, help me out). If changing the scoring on the server will improve the quality of the gameplay, shifting it away from glamour and toward capture-the-flag, then I think it's a good change to make. Candy clearly wanted it, and so do I.

Where does that leave us, at the moment? It seems like the server hardware (which is clearly crappy - none of you would play games on either of the servers) needs an upgrade. Not even a big upgrade... just a couple of pretty cheap upgrades. Suggestions? Donors?

Last edited:
Back