[t3] - Certified Scripts

daxMaximum
04-17-2003, 20:20
Posted on TWL but apparently the trolls are out at this hour so here's my 2 cents.
Well with all the "cheating" that may or may not be going on in t2, I have an idea to let players in the future tribes game still be able to create very powerful scripts. Scripts are to be certifed by a board or counsel. Once scripts are certified , encrypted and encoded they would be either made public, or if the scripter so desire, to keep private. either way T3 would check that all scripted loaded would be certified. Its a far step from the free scripting of t2 but it would stop cheating most definitely for along time. Obviously some one will crack the code eventually,but it could take along time for that.
Perhaps certain aspect of t3 could be scripted freely without certification (insuring those were safe, and weren't giving the user an unfair advantage) and have those that require more than the superficial data , require certification.

On the scripting front, t3 would have 3 startups, Internet,lan, and development. in dev you can only start a game on your computer but it won't broadcast so no hosting a server with illegal scripts that way.

Also I don't know if you guys know but its not that hard to move all the cheats to server side either, so it might be a good idea to make the certification for both client and server.

Wils
04-18-2003, 00:01
Who would be on this board or council?

Da_Timsta
04-18-2003, 05:50
if the devs had paid more attention to what you could and could not do with t2 scripting, we probably wouldnt have all those problems.

Destiny
04-18-2003, 11:22
I really like this idea ... this would solve a lot of cheating problems. But still allow scripting.

Slash
04-18-2003, 12:10
I really like this idea ... this would solve a lot of cheating problems. But still allow scripting.

Agreed.

Plasma
04-18-2003, 12:13
I dont like this idea, scripters want to be able to make scripts and release them when they want.

This board could be tampered with.

People dont want their work "authorized" by others, they would just want to release it and be done with it.

Ceiling_Fan
04-18-2003, 12:17
While this idea is a good one, it'd just change the direction of the whining.

Instead of constantly hearing about cheating, we'd be constantly hearing about how the board was playing favorites/had been bribed/was generally corrupt/hated so-and-so for no reason/etc..

Although making it a server option, like CRC checks, would be a great idea for competition. Only ladder-approved scripts could be used in matches for that ladder.

LouCypher
04-18-2003, 12:47
It's a ****ing stupid idea and I'll tell you why.

If every script had to be "signed" or otherwise approved before you could run it while playing online, how the hell would you TEST a script you were writing that hadn't reached the "approval" stage? It would stifle development of ANY scripts, including ones that would be helpful and NOT considered cheats.

Beren
04-19-2003, 03:23

If every script had to be "signed" or otherwise approved before you could run it while playing online, how the hell would you TEST a script you were writing that hadn't reached the "approval" stage? It would stifle development of ANY scripts, including ones that would be helpful and NOT considered cheats.

It would be for matches, not for pubbing. So regular online play would not be effected.

Neofight
04-19-2003, 07:29
It would be for matches, not for pubbing. So regular online play would not be effected.

Perhaps, but I tested plenty of things in scrims/matches before I released them to anyone. Having teammates use them in a variety of situations sure makes bug squashing a faster and more sure process. Yes, this can be done in pubs alone, but there are also scripts which are used for communication/information that are best tested when others communicate (ie, not pubs...).

Got Haggis?
04-19-2003, 10:38

upset your cheats wouldn't work, huh?

Beren
04-19-2003, 10:44
Perhaps, but I tested plenty of things in scrims/matches before I released them to anyone. Having teammates use them in a variety of situations sure makes bug squashing a faster and more sure process. Yes, this can be done in pubs alone, but there are also scripts which are used for communication/information that are best tested when others communicate (ie, not pubs...).

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done in pubs, i was saying it would only be compulsary in comp games. Maybe in pubs it would say a pass or fail in one of the tab menu screens or something.

DerangedMutant
04-19-2003, 10:51
question is who would moderate these scripts.
Honestly do you think sierra would put in the money and the manpower to do this? Look how much work it took marweas, thrax and others just to get t3 off the ground. And even if sierra decided to do this, what if they suddenly stopped? How would scripts be certified then. I'm sory your idea is very nice, but it's just not plausible

Ceiling_Fan
04-19-2003, 10:56
question is who would moderate these scripts.

The individual ladders would have their own moderation of scripts. They could have a specific checklist that servers used for matches on that ladder would activate before matches, and could be deactivated for pubs. Link it to the Tournament mode or something. Like 'Tournament Mode' and 'Tournament Mode Plus', with the Plus enabling the Ladder checklist.

LouCypher
04-19-2003, 12:29
upset your cheats wouldn't work, huh?
You think all my cheats are scripts, huh?

Got Haggis?
04-19-2003, 13:18
well i would assume .dll's fall into the category as well. just check the directory for any .dll or .exe files that don't belong.

although i guess happymod2 might not require that the dll and exe are in the t2 directory, i dunno.

rawr.

Neofight
04-19-2003, 16:25
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done in pubs, i was saying it would only be compulsary in comp games. Maybe in pubs it would say a pass or fail in one of the tab menu screens or something.
No, you i mplied it could/should be done only in pubs. I merely suggest that some scripts are best tested with teammates in competition, even if it is just a scrim (and thus in tournament mode).

I like Ceiling Fan's suggestion which accomplishes your goal and mine: script-checking tournament mode. :) Ha!

I'm not even sure I like the idea of script checking at all, as I have a few little scripts of my own that I use and never release. That I would have to release them to use them is silly. (Most are just my versions of someone elses stuff. Releasing someone elses stuff as yor own is just plain stupid; while the changes are usually minor as far as functionality is concerned, they are enough that they would no longer be the 'approved' version I am sure.) What a pain in the ass that would be.

ZOD
04-19-2003, 17:48
Exe's can be hacked thus negating any cheat prevention. So this topic was owned before it was started.

React0r
04-19-2003, 19:13
yeah god awful idea :(