Tribes3 -- no cd check please

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Sir Lucius
04-15-2003, 16:46
As an advid downloader and users of all sorts of warez I won't be the first to tell you that the ONLY form of copy protection that's effective is the online cd key verification -- even then it can't always stop people from lanning or doing direct ip games in some cases.

This "Please Insert Cd1 into your CD-ROM Drive" bull**** has got to stop. Anyone who pirates a game almost always gets a nice little cracked exe file that bypasses the ****. And in this day and age anyone warezing games is getting an iso anyways. So either they'll have a mounted image that runs a billion times faster than the cd-rom drive or they'll just burn their own cd (yes, we all have burners).

So why don't we stop bull****ing ourselves and just not put cd checks in thribes 3? The only people you're hurting are the legit users, making load times longer, pestering people with cd swaping, what's the ****ing point? It's not a deterant, I just want to make sure you know this.

As I recall, in tribes2 there was no cd check for online play until the first patch when we were told about this rediculous claim that the retailers demaned it. They didn't want people installing the game and then returning the cd..
.................!!!! WHAT THE ****?!?! I'm sorry but that's the most god damn stupid thing I've ever heard. EVERYone has a CD burner -- you're not stopping them. What if they have to reinstall the game? You're not stopping them. They could have just ripped an iso from the disc -- you're STILL not stopping them.

So there you have it -- a counter piracy system that punishes the buyer and doesn't even do what it's supposed to. It's like adding a tax to watches to prevent people from stealing watches. In other words, it's ****ing stupid. Please don't add it unless you can actually give me a valid reason. To suck off the dicks of the retailers is not a valid reason. Becuase your boss said you have to is NOT a valid reason. If you have to, show him this post or give me his email and I'll tell him myself how big of a blowhard he is (applies to any retailers also).

Here's hoping see waste of time cd checks in tribes 3! :bigthumb:

Beren
04-15-2003, 16:50
Damn bloody straight.

How were we meant to put the T2 soundtrack cd in the drive to listen to when we play if we had to have the game cd? ;)

Yaason
04-15-2003, 17:14
the reason t1 was so popular is peolpe people shared the cd and didnt always have to have it. im not saying everyone shares a copy but it will be better if stuff did things... or something

Ixiterra
04-15-2003, 17:16
Lucius, it does stop your typical computer moron though. But I haven't worked with people using computers lately. I'd imagine the level of intelligence has gotten higher in the last few years, but I'm sure most of the people who buy games don't know how to find cracks. Or do they? P2P has busted everything open. Oh well

Sir Lucius
04-15-2003, 17:17
It has nothing to do with popularity. I'm just saying that if you think requiring the CD is going to get pirates to go out and buy the game then you're just ****ing kidding yourself. Feel free to make a magical sandwich that shoots acorn marshmellows and endows you with the powers of Mr. Fantastic while you're in ****ing fairlyland please.

Ixiterra
04-15-2003, 17:18
the reason t1 was so popular is peolpe people shared the cd and didnt always have to have it. im not saying everyone shares a copy but it will be better if stuff did things... or something

T1 was popular because it was a great game. I'll admit, I was in a circle of people who exchanged 1 Tribes CD, but I did eventually go buy it and have my own copy. I'm fairly certain I would have paid money to play the game if I had to. I had a nice taste of it on my friend's comp and I had to have it. ;)

Sir Lucius
04-15-2003, 17:20
Lucius, it does stop your typical computer moron though. But I haven't worked with people using computers lately. I'd imagine the level of intelligence has gotten higher in the last few years, but I'm sure most of the people who buy games don't know how to find cracks. Or do they? P2P has busted everything open. Oh well

Most stores only excange open software so I still don't see how this would stop piracy.

Ixiterra
04-15-2003, 17:30
Most stores only excange open software so I still don't see how this would stop piracy.

How wouldn't it? No CD, can't play game. It probably makes no difference nowadays. Besides, if a game has a CD check, even if I own it I'll get a crack for it because I have thousands of CD's, and I'm not gonna pay attention to where I keep all the games. ;)

But yes, since T3 will have authentication, there really is no need for a CD check. Single player and LAN games really don't give you the Tribes experience (well, a LAN might but you can't just connect to a LAN ;)).

TeckMan
04-15-2003, 17:31
half the cracks are only changing 1 value in the registry anyways.

Rabid Poop
04-15-2003, 17:37
despite the warez, if its a good game: it will sell well.

Sir Lucius
04-15-2003, 17:39
How wouldn't it?

If all you can do is exchange the game then you're not getting your money back, you're just getting a new cd. That's a loss of maybe 14 cents and the person trying to steal the game gets nothing.

Menzo
04-15-2003, 18:34
CD check is going to be required, I imagine. Otherwise a significant portion of our players will buy the game, install it, then return it to the store. There's no way a key check can stop that.

Figure out a cheaper and easier way to prevent this from happening and we can look into it. I don't like it any more than you do, but the fact is, people will take the easy route, and if it's easier to get a game for free than it is to pay for it, they'll take it for free.

Sir Lucius
04-15-2003, 18:41
Require the cd for patches only.
Tell stores tribes3 won't honor the retun policy?
Put returned cd keys on a banlist?

So even tho it still doesn't stop piracy, you hope it prevents a few of the stupid ones? I'd like to see the statistics on this.

Marweas
04-15-2003, 18:56
It's a horrid problem for the industry. It's also a cheaper scheme than say, code wheels. Maybe after every match we'll make everyone type in the 5th word on the 2nd line in the 3rd paragraph of page 14 in the manual?

Thrax Panda
04-15-2003, 18:57
So why don't we stop bull****ing ourselves and just not put cd checks in thribes 3?Because back when we released T2 a whole bunch of dishonest bastards bought the game, registered their account, realized there was no CD check, and returned the game, which not only hozed us, but also the people who then bought the returned game only to find that some :ftard: was already using their CD key.

We tried to do it your way and the community shot themselves in the foot. Now you get to do it how our laywers say. It's not a development decision any more.

HomeSlice
04-15-2003, 19:12
Those people were brilliant.

jsut
04-15-2003, 19:50

I'd like to see some response from sierra to these three options.

I'm pretty sure that some games already use the first option, though that won't stop burn and return.

I'm not sure if retailers would go for option number two.

Option Number 3 though, is an interesting idea if you can come up with a method of making it not a huge assed pain in the ass to follow through with.

Thrax Panda
04-15-2003, 20:07
We might be able to do something creative like require the CD for the first three months after you initially create an account, and then go CD free. We'll try to find a good solution, but we do need to protect our invenstment, and we had over 1000 instances of returned CD keys not working in the first week of T2 - that can't happen.

addps4cat
04-15-2003, 20:20
People buy the cd, get a cracked exe, and then return it. I don't see how cd checks stop these people.

Plasma
04-15-2003, 20:27
We might be able to do something creative like require the CD for the first three months after you initially create an account, and then go CD free. We'll try to find a good solution, but we do need to protect our invenstment, and we had over 1000 instances of returned CD keys not working in the first week of T2 - that can't happen.

I completly understand where you are comming from Thrax.

Some suggestions Lucus just made:

Require the CD for patches only - thats very creative, some sort of verification/requiring files off the original CD or something to that effect would be useful, I wouldnt mind putting my CD in to patch the game, its not like It will be patched every week **DONT JINX IT! :) **

Im not to sure the return policy bit works for some stores?

As for blacklisting CD keys, that would take manpower/resources that would cost money, so I dont think its that cost effective.

Also, whatever you do with the CD key, can you do what you did with Tribes 2? CD Key creates your account, and is then useless, that was (imo) the best method vs. having a cd key to play online (and getting your cd key is in use bs from people who have your key).

Any of those seem like a nice idea to help us both out?