[T3] Destroyable buildings

Pages : [1] 2

Fidelio
04-15-2003, 04:45
Screw just generators and inventories, I want to blow up the whole damn building!

Not main bases per say but maybe smaller fortifications between bases like the little dugouts we've seen on several maps where people hide invens.

I have lots of thoughts on bases etc but don't necessarily fit under this heading so I'll leave it at destroyable buildings for now.

Please feel free to use this space to commence discussion.

Is it technically feasable? Would it enhance gameplay?

Locke355
04-15-2003, 04:51
Your buildings need to serve a purpose or there is no real reason to destroy them. If they serve a purpose, spam shouldn't be able to destroy them. If you have some sweet spot inside the building where you have to destroy, that makes some sense.

Maybe the ultimate price your defense pays is not temporary loss of invens, but their base falling down around them?

Fidelio
04-15-2003, 05:16
That's the idea I had Locke, CTF with D&D at the same time, but got reeled in by practicality.

Vurt
04-15-2003, 06:10
i imagine that it would blow out the netcode, the server having to track so many objects and then pass it on to the clients.

Trident_RX
04-15-2003, 07:22
No it wouldnt blow the netcode, and anyway that is done in Tribes and Tribes 2.

If you delete an object ala the editor, it gets removed on all the clients right?

Basically your just removeing something and putting a nice explosion to it. No more netlag than a person fireing!

kesh
04-15-2003, 08:55
Cool, the base is destroyed. Now the flag can be capped, the game will be over. You just forced CTF to become destroy the base first then play CTF, forcing the other team to cluster. or DTBF-CTF-MTOTC

Can this base be repaired? If so, how do you expect to resurrect a base with a repair gun? look kinda wierd IMO.

The whole point of destryong the inventories, vehicle pads etc is that they are ASSESTS in which the team does not necesarily NEED but helps, a lot. The base is a necesity, having it collapse = the end of the game for that team.

snow
04-15-2003, 09:12
kinda like taking the base in T2 base?

Ben Reed
04-15-2003, 14:59
Destroyable buildings in D&D might be cool...to take down the rocket turrets on the main base, somebody lobs a mortar or satchel into the generator tower to the west and blows it to kingdom come, and from there the rest of the HO blow the defenseless main base to smithereens...

In CTF, though, I don't think it would be that cool.

Beren
04-15-2003, 16:55
i love the idea.

Another idea is having the ability to blow away some terrain to then blow a hole in the side of a underground base to make another entrance. Obviously not possible everywhere, but have a special terrain that you can bluw the hell out of... bunch of rocks or something.

TeckMan
04-15-2003, 17:33
Disc spam.
no.

Rabid Poop
04-15-2003, 17:52
how about the main base has a generator that can be destroyed and repaired, however it also has two other sub-bases with back-up generators. these back-up generators supply power even if the main base generator is down. These two bases, once destroyed, are destroyed until the next round.

RedSpider
04-15-2003, 20:39
Mabye smaller bunkers or a wall of the base (ved) would be cool to blow up, but having the entire base able to fall apart would kinda suck. It would just turn into FTM duel bowl with flags, no base.. just spawn and go at it.

Ben Reed
04-15-2003, 22:04
Disc spam.
no.

True enough, true enough.

Beren
04-16-2003, 02:58
maybe they could be some kinda "living base" type thing. i.e when the gens are down certain sections can be blown away (whether they be bunkers or extra back door, or whatever), but after the gens are back up they re-generate themselves over 60 seconds or so.. probably poly hell.

[-mIze-]
04-16-2003, 10:24
how about the main base has a generator that can be destroyed and repaired, however it also has two other sub-bases with back-up generators. these back-up generators supply power even if the main base generator is down. These two bases, once destroyed, are destroyed until the next round.

But who would defend backup gens for an entire round?

BigPappa
04-16-2003, 10:55
maybe they could be some kinda "living base" type thing. i.e when the gens are down certain sections can be blown away (whether they be bunkers or extra back door, or whatever), but after the gens are back up they re-generate themselves over 60 seconds or so.. probably poly hell.

Thats why we have force fields

Rilke
04-21-2003, 02:40
Penultimate damage to a base, like blood from a boxer's eye just before a knock out, would be cool.

Beren
04-21-2003, 04:05
Thats why we have force fields

nah thats not what i am thinking.. diff concept. Not clear, and you destroy the section when the gen is down.. not auto go down when gens go down. Also slower re-generation. and nifty explosion when you blow up the sectin.. chunks of wall.

Fidelio
04-21-2003, 18:35
anyone remember those sliding doors in t1? they were a good defense while they lasted as they'd only open for your team, they could however be destroyed and at that point anyone could cross through. you could repair them but it took forever.

that was a nice start.

kesh
04-21-2003, 18:54
They were great....but they would be even better if they actually opened