Tribes: TNTG Soundtrack?

Neek
04-14-2003, 13:11
I think I speak for many, many people when I say that the Tribes 2 soundtrack really blew on a epic scale.
It took me just over one rotation for me to turn it off and go no-music forever. :(

May I make a suggestion? Check out this guy's stuff:
http://www.kmmproductions.com/music.html
There are samples to peruse...

Yup. He's the same dude who does the Invader Zim soundtrack, among other things...many of which are games! :)

Kaiser
04-14-2003, 13:13
*How about we use good ol' winamp and shift those soundtrack resources over to making the game "fun" and "stable."*

JerryGarcia
04-14-2003, 13:19
exclusively megaman techno remixes plz, thx

Sir Lucius
04-14-2003, 13:20
You're going to need music for the game no matter what. Weather it be some crazy intro or, I dunno...something. The music composer doesn't have anything to do with making the game stable, and the programmers are already getting paied.

I say yes to invader zim guy.

Neek
04-14-2003, 13:21
*How about we use good ol' winamp and shift those soundtrack resources over to making the game "fun" and "stable."*

sounds good to me...
But you know that they are going to get *someone* to do a soundtrack at some point. That much is inevitable. I just think it should be this guy.
Just go listen to some of the samples. He's friggin' perfect.

And whatever else you have to say about Sacrifice, One thing is certain. That game had an awesome soundtrack.

On another note: for some weird reason I can't play tribes 2 and winamp at the same time without it killing my performance. I have no idea why. I have a SB live! value, perhaps that has something to do with it...
Are there any T2 integrated .mp3 player scripts that actually work out there somewhere? I've tried a few, and they are all buggy as hell.

Kaiser
04-14-2003, 13:29
The music composer doesn't have anything to do with making the game stable, and the programmers are already getting paied.

True, but look at the resources used in the process. You have two resources: time and money. These are doled out to various aspects of the project. So, logically, if you eliminate one area, you free up the applied "time and money." This "time and money" can then be spent in another area. You theoretically improve those other areas because you are spending more "time and money" in those areas.

But at the end of the day, you will need some form of music. At least it won't be Motley Crue :lol:

Neek
04-14-2003, 13:36
True, but look at the resources used in the process. You have two resources: time and money. These are doled out to various aspects of the project. So, logically, if you eliminate one area, you free up the applied "time and money." This "time and money" can then be spent in another area. You theoretically improve those other areas because you are spending more "time and money" in those areas.

But at the end of the day, you will need some form of music. At least it won't be Motley Crue :lol:
Thank <insert deity here> for that. :lol:

At some point they will have to get a soundtrack from somewhere, but I would never even attempt to suggest that it should take precedence over anything else in the game. Game first music later. If you can't afford to have good music, well then so be it. I would much rather have a kick ass game with crappy music than a crappy game with kick ass music.

But doesn't everyone agree that it would be cool to have a kick ass game with some truly rockin' music?

Neek
04-14-2003, 13:57
Just a comment on soundtracks in general...
The thing that really distinguishes a great soundtrack from a crappy one is the fact that you don't really notice it. A good soundtrack should always be there to complement the the game (or movie) NOT to supersede or eclipse it.

This is partly why I consider the T2 soundtrack to have failed. There was way way too much stuff in there that distracted from the game itself, which goes without saying, is supposed to be the focus of your attention.

A good soundtrack should not have surprising sounds in it, it should be somewhat predictable while at the same time building/contributing to the setting of the game. This does not mean it has to be boring. Just without the seemingly random rawr noises and misc crap that polluted the T2 score.

PyroTeknik
04-14-2003, 13:59

Money, alright, but time...?

They'll just pay a composer to do his thing while the programmers do their thing. In no way does it interfere with the coding.
It's not like they're gonna halt development because the music wasn't done in time. And I doubt the people doing the soundtrack have to go by the same milestones as the programmers.

Ben Reed
04-14-2003, 14:00
Go with the Zim guy, what the hell, I'll probably just load up mny own playlist anyway and smoke all you *****es to the lilting melody of "Whole Lotta Rosie".

Sir Lucius
04-14-2003, 14:46
Just a comment on soundtracks in general...
The thing that really distinguishes a great soundtrack from a crappy one is the fact that you don't really notice it. A good soundtrack should always be there to complement the the game (or movie) NOT to supersede or eclipse it.

This is partly why I consider the T2 soundtrack to have failed. There was way way too much stuff in there that distracted from the game itself, which goes without saying, is supposed to be the focus of your attention.

A good soundtrack should not have surprising sounds in it, it should be somewhat predictable while at the same time building/contributing to the setting of the game. This does not mean it has to be boring. Just without the seemingly random rawr noises and misc crap that polluted the T2 score.

I disagree. I find the best soundtracks are the memorable ones. If I go away from the game and can't remeber it it's too bland. Granted something can be memorable and suck, but I'm talking about something that' memorable and rocks.

Neek
04-14-2003, 15:00
I disagree. I find the best soundtracks are the memorable ones. If I go away from the game and can't remeber it it's too bland. Granted something can be memorable and suck, but I'm talking about something that' memorable and rocks.

Nonono. I'm not saying blandness is good, or that it should not be a memorable soundtrack. I'm saying that it should fuse better with the subject matter that it was composed for.

When taken out of their context, there are many great soundtracks that I like to listen to over & over, but when they are played alongside the subject they where composed for they should become somewhat translucent to the ears. What I mean to say, is that they merge with the setting/action much better. which is entirely the point of a good score.
To help drive the action along and provide an emotional hook.

I just think the T2 soundtrack was too blatant. It needs more subtlety.

g0ds gReeN
04-15-2003, 07:35
initiates a vote for built-in not ****edup mp3 support (or just wait for the scripts to start flowing/use winamp)

LouCypher
04-15-2003, 07:42
I'd like better CD audio playback support via scripting. Tribes 2 doesn't have a method for obtaining the length of track or disc, rewind, fast forward, or pause. The ability to start playback at an offset of track length via script would be nice.

Neek
04-24-2003, 14:06
:bump:
whoops! guess my finger must have slipped...
Stupid "bump" button.

:wave: Lucius

Soffo
04-25-2003, 03:40
im going to be very disapointed if T3 doesnt include at least one 50 cent song

Doaln
04-25-2003, 04:28
I say they just have Motley Crue do the soundtrack.

(btw, i think to this day, my favorite in-game soundtrack is still Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. when you played throught those maps, the music was SO ****ING FITTING IT WAS THE WIN.)

Darius75
04-25-2003, 16:43
The single player should have a good orchestral soundtrack, at least. For multiplayer, use Winamp.

Neek
04-25-2003, 19:59
The single player should have a good orchestral soundtrack, at least. For multiplayer, use Winamp.
Hell no. I want at least an internal .mp3 player. Winamp seems to suck up performace when I use it with Tribes 2. I have no idea why. :shrug:
Anyway. I agree that Tribes is best served by a symphonic/orchestral soundtrack. Perhaps with a bit of electronica thrown in to give it a futuristic feel.
I still maintain that Kevin Manthei (invader zim guy) is the man for the job seeing as that's exactly what he does.
Listen to some of those Sacrifice tracks!
http://www.kmmproductions.com/Music/SAC_Battle_1.mp3
http://www.kmmproductions.com/Music/SAC_Battle_2.mp3
http://www.kmmproductions.com/Music/SAC_Battle_3.mp3
http://www.kmmproductions.com/Music/SAC_Battle_4.mp3
http://www.kmmproductions.com/Music/SAC_Battle_5.mp3
It's perfect I tell ya!

(well maybe not for T:V, but it was perfect for the game that Sacrifice was. You can see the potential anyway)