[T3] Demo playback

LostAngel
04-13-2003, 22:25
I've noticed this in a great many other FPS demo's, but they have the ability to fly around in the world that was recorded. To freeze frame and move to another angle as an observer in the demo. Would it at all be possible to have this implimented in the next Tribes?

I for one would KILL to have this ability. To switch from the view of the person who demo'd to an observer and be able to fly around in that demo. The information should all be in the demo anyway, so I don't see how this couldn't be possible.

Ixiterra
04-13-2003, 23:11
It would have to be done server-side because, no, not every player's position is sent to every player. That would bog down the game. And some prissy people don't want this functionality because they feel their "skills" would be given away.

LostAngel
04-13-2003, 23:17
I don't see how this would bog down the server considering it's already implimented in Quake3 which is one of the most competitive FPS's...

Happy
04-13-2003, 23:19
Q3 maps are REALLY small. Tribes' maps are really big.

TheGhost
04-13-2003, 23:21
:wave: LA

LostAngel
04-13-2003, 23:31
hihi :wave:

I understand that the maps are smaller, but it could still be done. The type of movies we could make with that option, would be insane. You could actually follow along a disc, or stop mid frame of a mid air shot with the disc suspended in mid air and spin around it...

Makes me wet thinking about it :P

TheGhost
04-13-2003, 23:47
hihi :wave:

I understand that the maps are smaller, but it could still be done. The type of movies we could make with that option, would be insane. You could actually follow along a disc, or stop mid frame of a mid air shot with the disc suspended in mid air and spin around it...

Makes me wet thinking about it :P

yeah, it would be sweet, but demos would get 20x's bigger i think, in terms of filesize..

I would love having it, but dunno if its a worthy investment.

LostAngel
04-14-2003, 00:20
I would be nice to at least have hte option. Like you could do two different types of demo's. Either only first person view (like current tribes), or record more. I don't really see how it would be that much more involving tho. The demo already has the positions of all the players etc. within the game, for that view screen. So you would only be able to look and see for those points.

The map is client side, so no data there, and everything else is already included.