Tribes 3 needs a training grounds map (a cool one with lots of stuff)

Sir Lucius
04-12-2003, 07:55
Just a nice map that teaches newbies some of the key survival tecniques.

First you could have a ski course, and try to teach them about routes. Make a nice route on some rollar coaster type terrain and have flag markers they should ski in between to hit the route correctly. If you want to hold their hands some more, you could even get fancy and have signs or something that tell them when they should use their jets, and when they should cut them.

Next you need an extreae ski ramp. Partly for fun, partly to show them just how fast you CAN ski (and how much it hurts if you mess up).

Then I'd throw in something like a vechicle pioleting ground. If you have something like the shrike, have a course with rings they have to fly though and targets they need to destroy. Just to give them a feel of the controls (and you might as well make vehicle sensativity adjustable in the game -- people are just going to make scripts for it if you don't and it may discourage newbies from flying if their ride drives like a u-haul on a lawn mower engine).

Skeet shooting course. Gotta teach these newbs how to aim. This is to help with their MA's too. They stand stationary and targets fly up at differnt ranges (you can have field markers that indicate the range) and you basically teach them about leading their targets.
You could also have a moving platform they can stand on (something that moves side to side). In this way you can teach them about momentum inheritance of tribes (something quake and counterstrike does NOT do). Suppose you could snipe at the skeet range too (if you have a sniper rifle).

Next I'd add a range course, with gophers or something that pop up. The idea being to practice your grenade launcher or mortar skills (or whatever weapon has an arc cuz I'll tribes 3 has an arc type weapon). Again, add a moving platform for inheritance.

In this way just give people the ability to **** around outside of the game and really brush up on their skills. Bots are worthless and do not make you any better. I wouldn't even bother including them in the game. At least with this you give newbies somewhere to go when they're frustrated. And rather than wasting time with bots they're improving on their fundamentals. I'd have it all in one map so they don't have to keep loading differnt **** (and you could keep it on one map too).

Plus it sounds like a great lan map to just **** around and duel people on. I remeber at novalan we had a better time just flying our shrike in cool formations and playing follow the leader (-- oh ****, that's getting it's own thread ;)) And at uvalan4 we had a better time dueling in extreme ski than we did playing ctf (or at least I did).

So don't forget to put this in thrax, and made it not suck :D
If you guys don't put it in then it'll never be able to help out the newbs like it should.

dunce_boy
04-12-2003, 14:27
we had this same sort of thread going on at twl.
It started as the Importance of Bots/AI in T3...
I stated almost the same thing as, instead of wasting resourses on making AI and bots(which is probably REALLY hard to make smart bots for a tribes type game cause its so much more than point and shoot), make training missions...like what T2 had, but way better.

I've checked out the training missions for unreal2, I like how they have a character walk you around and show you different weapons and uses of them, and gives you hints on when are good times to use those types of things.

I think this would be a good concept to make as a training mission for T3...make 1 bot that will take you through a training mission going over various things about the game,
Movement:
Jets, Skiing, DJs, routes, etc.
Having the actual bot kinda take you through a couple of cap, HO, w/e routes on a training map(I like your through the flag idea also Lucius).
Fighting/aiming:
Maybe run a little duel vs this bot character...nail into the noobs head that getting in the air and shooting down = win.
idk, something like that
Equipment:
I think we all aggree that tribes has a LOT of stuff, and each thing can be used differently. The learing curve is high because it also takes ppl a long time to figure out what each thing does, and moreso, when and how to use each thing.

One of the main challenges in doing this training mission would be getting someone who knows the game to make it...I think thats why T2's missions sucked. :X
well, thats just my $0.02

Flatscan
04-12-2003, 14:31
The easiest way I can think of to make the Tribes learning curve manageable is to have VERY effective training (maps, demos etc.).

dunce_boy
04-12-2003, 14:35
The easiest way I can think of to make the Tribes learning curve manageable is to have VERY effective training (maps, demos etc.).
now a demo is a great idea...if they got a nice demo from a version that would run with the final, that would be a great way for someone to learn.

Sir Lucius
04-12-2003, 15:20
While training missions are good and all, I'd still like to see a 'General **** Around' map. It's not as much fun having to load a new map for each little training asspect.

PyroTeknik
04-12-2003, 21:43
Hah, remember that secret room in the piloting course in T1?

We need one of those :)

R@ND0M
04-12-2003, 22:06
i love easter eggs

Rabid Poop
04-12-2003, 22:14
It would be cool if there was a tribes sports arena type map, similar to boot camps that were in t1.

There would be stuff like sking courses etc. where players could race each other OR learn to ski.

MA ranges etc.

the best part is that better players, not just computer controlled tutorials, could help others get better.

Yaason
04-12-2003, 22:37
i remember a t1 training map i d/led that had the objective things that you can shoot at to practice MAing. you just fly around and shoot at them until they are all gone. some ski maps with the game would be nice. i was sick of watching people the first few weeks of t2 and none of them knew how to ski and few used the jet. which would be a nice training thing to have. jet uptp diff platforms, across bases, through rings (like pilot wings)

Plasma
04-13-2003, 00:23
Yes, easter eggs rock.

The ones in T2 were average (just mainly statues).

Need secret rooms etc :)

MasterGnr
04-13-2003, 10:19
actually, it has already been done for T2

sniping skeet range, skiing races, Heavy Assault Course....

but just like T2Guides...it sounds great but takes more than 2 or 3 people to make happen...lots of "i'll help" but very little substance

Sir Lucius
04-13-2003, 10:57
Well you can make stuff after the fact, but if it's not packaged in the game it's not going to help newbies. To know about anyhthing like that for t2 mastergnr you have to be part of the community. But being part of the community will teach you a lot of that stuff on your own.

So I'm thinking guys that talk about the game on the gamespy general forums or gamefaqs, or just some random offshoot who don't know about all the popular tribes sites. They probably already have a quake or cs or whatever community where they have a "tribes 3" thread.

Of course I hope I'm just not making people like this up.

Ben Reed
04-13-2003, 16:37
Like I stated in the Team Play thread, I think the real focus of new training missions in the next Tribes game should be teaching newbies how to make themselves useful on a public server in various gametypes, particularly CTF, as it will no doubt be the most popular. There'd be missions for succesfully making a cap route, successfully body-blocking HO and keeping them outside the base, successfully deploying turrets inside a base to kill a HO before they can get off more than one or two mortar shots, etc.

[-mIze-]
04-16-2003, 10:52
Of course I hope I'm just not making people like this up.

Oh no, there's a lot of that. And it usually ends with "[x] game sucks because its not as good as [insert forum's popular game]".

eierye
04-16-2003, 11:42
But u know u cant make these things too tedious.. I mean seriously the idea sounds nice, but I bet 70% of all people who buy the game will skip everything and go online.

Putting things like capping routes and LD methods and HO routes is too complicated. IMO a brief tutorial of how to jet, how to ski and how to buy stuff is necessary, but things like capping routes are better left for the community to teach.

MA ranges and stuff should be implemented, but not part of the tutorial process.

Sir Lucius
04-16-2003, 11:46
Orginal post idea wasn't necessarily a tutorial -- more like an advanced training ground. The differnce being you usually only play a tutorial once and then never play it up again (mostly b/c you don't want to sit through some dude talking to you the entire time).

I was thinking more of practice course, in which case you're only really teaching them through practice (not really tutoring them).

Buk Naked
04-16-2003, 12:09
More in line with helping a noob would be watching a 10 sec demo or have a bot demonstrate and then have the player do it.

Example - body block - noob fires up body block practice, 10 second demo of a light bot bbing a hvy, demo stops, noob in the same spot, now they try as a hvy bot comes flying at them. Button at the bottom the screen to review demo whenever you want. If they do it successfully move onto tougher positions.