[T3] Wall jump.

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 19:29
Brought by Lucius' post on another thread, I think this is a good idea that deserves its very own thread :o

Being able to bounce off walls would certainly add to the gameplay, as skilled players would become friggin' ninjas (and newbs collapse in awe as they watch a human pinball steal their flag).
I don't see how this can't be a good thing; it just seems logical, kind of like a next step.
A small step, maybe even only half a step, but still a damn step.

Only problem I see is for indoor fighting maybe, but then again, highly explosive weapons + confined environments = dead people, wether you're bouncing around or not.

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 19:32
Could you please inform the non-UT2K3 players how this would work? Do you fly into the wall then hit spacebar at the right time or what? And what benefits would it provide in a primarily outdoor environment?

Locke355
04-10-2003, 19:39
and how would you make it remotely skillful? in ut2k3 you have no jetpack to save you and propel you.

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 20:32
and how would you make it remotely skillful? in ut2k3 you have no jetpack to save you and propel you.

It's sorta like skiing; there are routes, and then there's just skiing down a hill and hoping you'll get enough speed. I don't see a big difference; skiing down a hill doesn't seem any more challenging than bouncing off a wall (both have you frantically pressing the space bar :o).
Seriously, skiing down a hill is just a matter of pressing the spacebar repeatedly, and you can't deny that.

However, finding a good route, maximizing your speed, not getting stuck on landscape, and whatnot takes skill, and I believe the same would hold true for wall jumps; through practice, people would learn to bounce off multiple things (ninja style! Yes, I love ninjas.), bounce in totally different directions, incorporate these into routes, or simply find a new way to get up those goddamn longass shafts that no heavy can go up without a DJ/MJ (I hope they get rid of those :().

Add to that the fact that you could be coming from pretty much any direction and bounce off in any direction (and use the jets to "save you" and thus direct you), it would take skill to go where you want to go and to make it useful. It's not a matter of how easy to do it is, it's a matter of how well can you use it.

It would work something like this:
Let's say you're coming straight on to a wall. As you get closer, you quickly turn to your right and press space right when you hit the wall (while still pressing your "move forward" key). You bounce in the direction you were looking and are free to jet and bounce on something else or resume a ski route or whatever, all with minimal speed loss. You could also have pressed a strafe key, which would've changed your direction accordingly, or looked another way. If you wanted, you could simply fly straight to a wall, turn around, wall jump, and now you're coming back from where you came.
My point is, if you can jet, a simple thing such as wall jumping can become a lot more important because of all you can do afterwards.
Right now, if someone hits a wall, they just stop right there and sorta plummet down (or desperately try to jet up without success).

Could you please inform the non-UT2K3 players how this would work? Do you fly into the wall then hit spacebar at the right time or what? And what benefits would it provide in a primarily outdoor environment?

Indeed, Tribes is primarily outdoors, but a lot of the action takes place in and around bases. Wether it is for capping, defending, taking out gens, or just killing people, you're likely to have to fight near or on bases; basically, wherever routes meet "points of interest" (man, I have such nifty ways of putting things in perspective :D), which usually happen to be enemy bases (HO) and flagstands. Of course, there's the chasing and some midfield, but there's a lot going on around bases. Wall jumps would help navigate among these structures and other big annoying static objects that happen to not be smooth and ski friendly.

Besides, it's not like it would be difficult to implement, or would radically change gameplay. Just a nice little addition methinks.

EDIT: Shiate, that's long.

verve
04-10-2003, 20:33
you could always just discjump off a wall :o

HomeSlice
04-10-2003, 20:35
or fly into the top of a base with your flag as your about to cap :rofl:

:heart:

snow
04-10-2003, 20:46
try www.realultimatepower.net

all the ninja's you want.

Locke355
04-10-2003, 20:57
It's sorta like skiing; there are routes, and then there's just skiing down a hill and hoping you'll get enough speed. I don't see a big difference; skiing down a hill doesn't seem any more challenging than bouncing off a wall (both have you frantically pressing the space bar :o).
Seriously, skiing down a hill is just a matter of pressing the spacebar repeatedly, and you can't deny that.

However, finding a good route, maximizing your speed, not getting stuck on landscape, and whatnot takes skill, and I believe the same would hold true for wall jumps; through practice, people would learn to bounce off multiple things (ninja style! Yes, I love ninjas.), bounce in totally different directions, incorporate these into routes, or simply find a new way to get up those goddamn longass shafts that no heavy can go up without a DJ/MJ (I hope they get rid of those :().

There is a large difference between skiing down a bumpy set of hills in order to get max velocity going at the enemy base (all the while properly conserving jetpack energy), and holding spacebar as you hit a flat wall.

I am not saying I dont think it is a nice idea, however it seems too simplistic for the ultimate power your scenario seems it would bring. Ninja's might be fun to watch on a movie screen, but I dont want to spend my time chaining people who never hit the ground.

Yaason
04-10-2003, 21:23
this defeats the whole purpose of making the game simple

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 21:39
I dont want to spend my time chaining people who never hit the ground.

Hmmm.
I hadn't thought of it that way :o
Indeed that might be slightly more than annoying.

Whatever. We'll just bring back the T2 rocket launcher :eek:

And wtf Yaason. If there's one thing this idea isn't, is complex :-|
(Holy crap, is that even a proper sentence?)
Show the <3.

EDIT: you could still shoot the walls :o
EDIT^2: :o is the greatest ever. You can't tell if he's impressed or having a seizure.

R@ND0M
04-11-2003, 03:51
wall jumping/double jumping would be cool

it'd be like double jumping in quake 2, only you could run towards a wall, jump and get twice as much height + distance off the jump, possibly more combined w/ the jetpack

it'd have to require precision timing (like all other things in the game) so it wasn't too easy to do

Ben Reed
04-11-2003, 15:07
Wall jumping is really unnecessary IMHO, considering Tribes has always been about relatively simple individual acrobatics with the jetpack, with the real offensive muscle coming not from super-agile cowboys, but from moderately agile cowboys working in conjunction with each other to pierce the opponent's defenses. Personal brawn and agility takes a backseat to teamwork and brainpower in the Tribes franchise.

That being said, I still want my sword. Tell them to give me my sword, Thrax.

SonGohan
04-11-2003, 15:16
One mortar = Dead ****ing ninja.

daxMaximum
04-12-2003, 02:59
I can see a very simple use for this. At times during duels you jet back up against a wall and . Because you jetted into the wall, you basically get "stuck" to it. It is relatively a slow process to get far enough away from the wall not to receive splash damage from a disc.
With this feature, you are just a spacebar away from getting away from the wall fast enough. However, there should be a basic rule.
The angle at which you come in is inverse to the angle which you depart.

aka if you are sliding down a wall and you wall jump, it makes you wall jump down. If you ram right into it, no wall jump is going to save you from splatter damage, etc. etc.