[T3] Thraxx, Marweas, do you guys play other FPS games?

Pages : [1] 2

Rilke
04-10-2003, 15:00
I ask this because I rarely see any cross game dialogue in discussions about the Tribes franchise. Is it taboo to borrow from or imitate what other developers have innovated in their games?

In general, I think T3 needs not only to be compared to T1 and T2, but to other games on the market. There should be no taboo whatsoever to humbly enter a wider dialogue of what makes an FPS title excellent.

So, again, I wondered if you guys thought there was any taboo in borrowing or imitating what other developers have innovated in their FPS titles, and if privately since not publically, you talk about such things.

SonGohan
04-10-2003, 15:03
Duh?

and

Duh?

There is no way someone could make an FPS and not be borrowing from other games. Like, for example, the FPS prospect of it! There you go... you've just borrowed from 100's of games already.

Rilke
04-10-2003, 15:11
Pardon me.

I should clarify my question. Is it important to deliberately borrow specific elements from other FPS titles in the spirit of "competition makes products better?" Or is it taboo, for say, Sierra to imitate Id or some other company?

Futhermore, if so, is it necessary to establish a dialogue in this context?

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 15:33
Tribes, aka "the FPS that doesn't suck," needs not to borrow ideas from other games. Maybe a couple ideas from Tribes mods, but not other games. ;)

Why are people making such dumb threads in here.

Rilke
04-10-2003, 15:40
Tribes, aka "the FPS that doesn't suck," needs not to borrow ideas from other games. Maybe a couple ideas from Tribes mods, but not other games. ;)

Why are people making such dumb threads in here.

How does your Tribes RA RA attitude constitute smart compared my "dumb" thread?

In order for an FPS to be the best, it needs to raise the standard in FPS set forth by the best games. While I have enjoyed Tribes games more than any other FPS title up to this point, I do not believe either of them stood head and sholder above the rest in every respect so much as I believe they have had solid attributes and have captured my fancy.

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 15:46
How does your Tribes RA RA attitude constitute smart compared my "dumb" thread?

Because I'm a firm believer in "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."

In order for an FPS to be the best, it needs to raise the standard in FPS set forth by the best games. While I have enjoyed Tribes games more than any other FPS title up to this point, I do not believe either of them stood head and sholder above the rest in every respect so much as I believe they have had solid attributes and have captured my fancy.

So stealing ideas from other games is the way to accomplish this? I don't expect a game to be the greatest game ever made, as you want. I didn't play T2 enough to form much of an opinion on it, but T1 is one of the best games I've ever played. The best? I don't really think there is a best.

Rilke
04-10-2003, 16:26
Well, you wrongly presuppose my question to be stupid. How are you so confident that you even understand my question?

In any event, one-up this, muther****er: I just pulled out a ruler and measured my dick (erect). 5 INCHES! Beat that!

Wils
04-10-2003, 16:45
Is there something wrong with "stealing" ideas from other games suddenly?

If TNTG was to be the last Tribes game ever created (I hope not), I'd kinda like to see jetpacks in other games.

Oh wait no, because Tribes wouldn't exist in its current form as there are dozens of games that came out before it that also featured jetpacks. Oh well.

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 16:48
I can't think of any other game aside from Outwars.
And maybe Incubation, but those were ****ty ass jumping jetpacks (and it was turn base).

Rilke
04-10-2003, 16:52
I think "stealing" is a fool's way of describing healthy competition between like games.

An example of what I mean by deliberately borrowing from other titles: The command console in Natural Selection is an innovation in gaming. While it is contextualized to the game type it presents, which is a mix between RTS and FPS, it is noteworthy and should be inspected to see, if at all, it can be imitated within a Tribes context.

Other games might offer innovations in User Interface that could stand as benchmarks for a new Tribes game to meet and exceed. So on and so forth. This is the type of "cross game dialogue" that I'm talking about. But what I wanted to know originally before the dick measuring started was whether or not Marweas and Thrax play other games for the purpose of recognizing what are the benchmarks in the various categories of an excellent game.

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 16:57
Oh wait no, because Tribes wouldn't exist in its current form as there are dozens of games that came out before it that also featured jetpacks. Oh well.

Dozens of other FPS's? Linkage please.

Da_Timsta
04-10-2003, 17:01
duke nukem 3d for instance :)

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 17:03
I think "stealing" is a fool's way of describing healthy competition between like games.

Well I'm on the mindset of the other threads going around like adding UT's adrenaline into T3. And you weren't being very specific. And Tribes is a very different FPS, so incorporating other elements from other FPS's will probably not work as intended.

An example of what I mean by deliberately borrowing from other titles: The command console in Natural Selection is an innovation in gaming. While it is contextualized to the game type it presents, which is a mix between RTS and FPS, it is noteworthy and should be inspected to see, if at all, it can be imitated within a Tribes context.

Way to go!

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 17:03
Alright, we have two.

Waiting for the other 10.

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 17:05
Alright, we have two.

Waiting for the other 10.

He said dozens. So we'd need at least 24 to quantify that statement. ;)

Wils
04-10-2003, 18:34
I said dozens of games, and it was a random quantative label... or something.

It's still probably true though - I can think of several old 8bit games that had jetpacks.

In any case, at which point did my ****ty post become the important part of this thread? :)

Sir Lucius
04-10-2003, 18:56
I think a lot of elements have already been incorperated into tribes that were derived from other games and we don't even know it. CTF for example seems to be something everyone takes for granted. Do you think that is unique and true only of tribes? Of course not, hell no. Ctf came about in its first incarnation as a quake mod (possibly even a doom mod), but became really mainstream as a multiplay game type of quake2. ids actually a very innovative company, and people don't so much copy off them as they set standards. Deathmatch was more or less birthed by id, they also made it popular.

Now granted tribes has made some innovations as well, and we're just now starting to see them. The new Unreal games, planetside -- they're getting the ideas of armor types from the standard set by tribes. And I would say tribes derived their idea from team fortress (perhapes, perhapes not).

That being said, if you're not going to keep up with standards you're game is going to fall behind. You can evolve them to your own form, but there are things these days that people are just expecting to be in their games. I don't think devs should go out and "steal" the gimmicks of everyone else tho. Adren is not a standard -- it is a gimmick and I don't see it something players come to expect.

The double jump is a pretty GOOD idea for a fps tho. It's been in countless conlose side scrollers, and what with people loving the matrix and all dodging is looking to become something that every game may have one day. I was playing postal 2 the other day and I was just baffled by how poor the lack of movement was in firefights. It honestly felt like something was missing.

So if tribes3 came out with doublejumps and dodges I wouldn't feel like they "stole" it from unreal, I would just feel like they were trying not to leave new standards out.

Locke355
04-10-2003, 19:00
Sierra employees only play this series:

http://catz.hispeed.com/lsl//pictures/lslpleasurepack.jpg

PyroTeknik
04-10-2003, 19:10
Ooooh, wall jumps!
That's what we need.
Simple, yet effective (a lot more effective than in UT2K3 since they don't have jetpacks to bounce all over).

Ixiterra
04-10-2003, 19:17
I think a lot of elements have already been incorperated into tribes that were derived from other games and we don't even know it. CTF for example seems to be something everyone takes for granted. Do you think that is unique and true only of tribes? Of course not, hell no. Ctf came about in its first incarnation as a quake mod (possibly even a doom mod), but became really mainstream as a multiplay game type of quake2.

There was this game outside of the computer/console world. I can't think of what it called.... oh yeah, it was called "Capture the Flag." ;) Played with real people believe it or not! I don't actually know how it was played, since obviously it can't be exactly the same, but the game does exist. ;)