Disc Launcher in -- anything else goes. Any guesses on their crazy ideas?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 23:29
Here's one from me -- Combine the chaingun and the blaster so the chain shoots laser blasts and becomes a chain blaster :o

Ok, that's all I can think of. but who knows what they might be up to :shrug:

Beren
04-07-2003, 23:55
that is the best weapon suggestions yet IMO...

MST3K-rules
04-08-2003, 01:45
That would be pretty cool. I think it should make a really big, cool spinning sound while it fires. Something to put the fear of god into your victim.

Guy runs around a corner, sees the flag and heads towards it. Suddenly he hears the spin-up sound and turns in terror before being pummeled by blaster shots that are so rapid that his corpse continues to dance after his death.

Though I guess dancing corpses has little to do with weapon design.

SimoHayha
04-08-2003, 01:48
those are in some mods i believe.

Locke355
04-08-2003, 01:57
A cylindrical object that shoots white sticky goo which traps the enemy.

MST3K-rules
04-08-2003, 02:41
A cylindrical object that shoots white sticky goo which traps the enemy.

We're battling for control of planets, not trying to trap specimens for a zoo. Besides, Counter-Strike will sue us for stealing their yogurt cannon weapon.

Hmmm, we could make it explosive goo, but that's pretty damned close to some Unreal Tournament weapons and I don't really know what sort of situations it'd come in handy for.

Okay, random thought:
Perhaps something with fire? Not necessarily a flamethrower. Or maybe the white goo is like napalm and sets things on fire? But again, what the hell would it be used for? We'd just end up with flags that were constantly on fire.

Ragnafrak
04-08-2003, 02:45
We're battling for control of planets, not trying to trap specimens for a zoo. Besides, Counter-Strike will sue us for stealing their yogurt cannon weapon.

Hmmm, we could make it explosive goo, but that's pretty damned close to some Unreal Tournament weapons and I don't really know what sort of situations it'd come in handy for.

Okay, random thought:
Perhaps something with fire? Not necessarily a flamethrower. Or maybe the white goo is like napalm and sets things on fire? But again, what the hell would it be used for? We'd just end up with flags that were constantly on fire.
CONTROL OF PLANETS?!?!?? this is tribes .. we are fighting for the control of flags

R@ND0M
04-08-2003, 02:54
A melee "smash" type weapon which gibs the enemy (Light armor) after being hit 3 times.
Each 'reload' has a 1 second cool time for the weapon reloading.

Alternate "Shrapnel Fire" for grenade, which takes 2 seconds to load the weapon up with 3 grenades, then releasing them will give radius damage to a certain area, after the 2-3 second "live time" is up.

'Bump' weapon, completely close range.
Works like a Body-Block, only giving full control of which the player BB'd is 'Bumped' into.
Requires precision timing (at the same time as you Body-Block somebody), but can be used as a more effective version of the BB.
Can be used while other weapons are in hand.

Plasma Modification: Shots to the ground/wall with the plasma will allow you to wall-climb like in Quake 3.
Perhaps a plasma which fires faster, and takes off less (although I love the T1 plasma as is, apart from against heavies).

Beacon Stopping 'weapon' which jedisons (sp) you into the opposite direction of where you're facing. Or perhaps a beacon stop which completely stops all your momentum, giving you the ability to disc jump off into a desired direction with precision timing and accuracy (as well as key combinations).

MST3K-rules
04-08-2003, 03:23
I know that the shocklance won't necessarily return in Tribes 3, but it seems like a much cooler solution than hitting a guy in the head with a gun three times.

CONTROL OF PLANETS?!?!?? this is tribes .. we are fighting for the control of flags

I thought the game's backstory was that each capture the flag level represented a battle for control of that planet between two tribes.

R@ND0M
04-08-2003, 03:27
Yea, because it's so difficult to use a one-shot hitscan weapon with a range of 5 metres..

How about a gun where you don't even have to press fire, you just blink and everyone on the server dies.
#1 idea

Starsiege: Tribes is based on an Inter-planetary "war game" of capturing flags, during a time between two great wars, or something :P
Kind of like the World Cup but w/ less teams and torn rags on poles.

MST3K-rules
04-08-2003, 03:32
Well, if the shocklance returns, there's no reason it has to stay the way it is in T2. It's definitely a little silly in T2 how far its range is.

R@ND0M
04-08-2003, 03:35
The words One-shot and Silly go hand in hand.

MST3K-rules
04-08-2003, 03:41
But in a game with jetpacks, I just can't imagine anyone managing to hit a light 3 times with a melee weapon that needs one second recharge times.

R@ND0M
04-08-2003, 03:49
So it should be easier?

I couldn't imagine people running ski routes at mach 5, 4 years ago.
Doesn't mean they should've slowed it down, the players and skills develop with the game.
It's not like it'd be a common thing to see (Kind of like watching a person get crushed by elevator, or ELF'd)

Beren
04-08-2003, 04:29
The words One-shot and Silly go hand in hand.

Sir Lucius
04-08-2003, 06:04
I was thinkabout the chain blaster, and maybe this is a bit renegades, but you could have bullet and plasma variants for a few of the differnt weapons. Like the chainblaster uses your energy as ammo, and works well against vehicles, but drains your energy making more of a defensive weapon, while the chaingun uses bullets, so chasers and cappers would probably use that instead.

And then some other gay ideas, you could switch out the ammo in the grenade launcher to regular grenades, and naplam grenades. The naplam would have a shorter fuse, and do less damage, but it would create a fireball in the air with decent slapsh damage that has a 1 second duration or something.

Another super gay idea totaly not serious, add a massive ordinance air burst. It can go on the heavies back, and it kills everything on the screen. just to get a MOAB in the game.

Xeri0us
04-08-2003, 06:07
How bout something along the lines of something you need to use when your actually touching another player which you place on them that sorta works as an attachable elf. Drains all their energy for like 5-10 seconds. Would be awesome tool for lds or someone trying to stop a HO.

Sir Lucius
04-08-2003, 06:11
How about a net?

"ono anet"

R@ND0M
04-08-2003, 06:27
cyrax mortal kombat 3 type net?

[-mIze-]
04-08-2003, 09:47
I'd like to see something like the Renegades detpack return in a base release. Its not horribly unbalanced, because it can be defused (maybe you'd have to be wearing a repair pack to clear it or something?), the timer is 20 seconds long, and its of course a pack which limits the ability to ski in fast and detpack every time you spawn. I could see it being used as a kind of staged assault, one guy gets in the base, sets the pack and suicides, then in 20 seconds as soon as the gens blow 3 HOs come barreling in disrupting any kind of repair effort and clearing for a cap. Or for blowing up MPBs, turrets, etc.