The Next Tribes: iFeel support?

Doaln
04-07-2003, 00:56
I'm betting this is maybe a 10% chance, but hell, worth asking. I don't know how many people know it, but Tribes 2 was one of the first (and few) games to embrace the iFeel mice, with the Immersion TouchWare Software (or however it's technically all worked out). Another major game that used it from release was Black & White. Anyway, I was wondering if there was any chance that The Next Tribes would also have Tactile Feedback (the generic, iFeel is the Logitech brand I guess)

Worth a shot.

Locke355
04-07-2003, 01:28
I thought ifeel was killed cause it failed miserably. We have an ifeel mouse at work which I stole and tried out. When I installed the logitech drivers, it disabled ifeel and wouldn't let me enable it. I figured they stop supporting it.

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 01:38
People were using them to preform unclean acts.

g0ds gReeN
04-07-2003, 07:07
it's one of the things i liked about t2 (since i own one myself). but yeah, prolly dead. last game i played that had it was serious sam 2

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 07:30
I'm sorry they dropped their support -- ifeel for you tho (:rofl: )

TeckMan
04-07-2003, 07:32
no serious player would ever use an ifeel mouse. dont waste your time with it

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 07:45
If your mouse squeeks, someone may have replaced it with a furry rodent.

Ambush_Bug[DTM]
04-07-2003, 10:21
no serious player would ever use an ifeel mouse. dont waste your time with it

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried it in T2? I ask only because you can tweak the amount of motion so that it doesn't affect your aim, and whoever put the feedback together for T2 did a really nice job. The really nicely done part was the skiing--you got tactile feedback when you hit a route perfectly, and you wouldn't get any when you botched it. You know that funky little 'whisssht' sound you get when you ski well? That's what I'm talking about--you might not be able to hear that in the middle of a battle, but you sure as hell could feel it.

I enjoyed it because it gave me better tactical awareness--since it was all triggered on sound events, you could use it to tell how close a shot (any weapon) missed you by, or even to tell when a cloaker was sneaking up on you, or better yet (and much more useful on some maps) when someone with a jammer was trying to sneak by. And you got this wonderful 'eat that, bizzatch!' shake when you ran someone over with the tank. ;)

What would rock is if MS added it in as an option to their mice and trackballs, perhaps with a physical switch to turn it off if you're not in the mood. I'd buy one, at least.

BigPappa
04-07-2003, 11:18
I thought ifeel was killed cause it failed miserably. We have an ifeel mouse at work which I stole and tried out. When I installed the logitech drivers, it disabled ifeel and wouldn't let me enable it. I figured they stop supporting it.

What a theif :) first his friends T1 CD , now a mouse .

Locke355
04-07-2003, 13:34
What a theif :) first his friends T1 CD , now a mouse .

HEY! Stealing from the accountants pc is NOT the same thing. She was having problems anyways, and I replaced it with an mx500, so she should be happy.

TySoft
04-07-2003, 20:53
The copies of T2 that Sierra sent to reviewers had iFeel mice included. What a sweet mouse for T2. It was even more improved a couple of patches ago, it kicked ass. I wish it didn't fail so badly.

Doaln
04-07-2003, 21:45
Just to clarify a few things... the logitech mouseware software self doesn't include software to make it work... that's the software you download from

www.immersion.com (it's buried, check link at bottom). It basically installs a whole control applet that lets you set how much force it uses, and whether it's even enabled or not (as in, I had it disabled for everyday use, but when you load up Tribes 2 or B&W, it works....)

So basically it's still supported, you just have to download the software. It was always that way btw. They just came with the immersion software before I think.

Link to software to make iFeel work

http://www.immersion.com/products/ce/generaldownloads.shtml

Here's a link to the mouses that support Immersion

http://www.immersion.com/products/ce/gamingmice.shtml

and the games that support it

http://www.immersion.com/products/ce/gaminggames.shtml

Doaln
04-07-2003, 21:47
And to say again, I'm not going to cry or anything if T3 doesn't support it, I was just curious. It's a little novelty feature that would make me whip out the iFeel mouse again for awhile.... (I use a trackman marble with wheel. best mouse ever, i dunno why they stopped making 'em)

Ambush_Bug[DTM]
04-08-2003, 01:23
And to say again, I'm not going to cry or anything if T3 doesn't support it, I was just curious. It's a little novelty feature that would make me whip out the iFeel mouse again for awhile.... (I use a trackman marble with wheel. best mouse ever, i dunno why they stopped making 'em)

I had one of those Marbles as well--awesome trackball. The only thing I've found that even comes close to replacing it is MS's latest optical trackball. The feel is different, and it's larger, and you gotta get used to the extra side buttons, but it works pretty well. Use it at work all the time, great for surfing.