Tribes Modeling Critique Club Idea

Sir Lucius
04-06-2003, 21:27
Proposal Of New Tribalwar Section -- The 3dModel Critique Club

Our objective is to become better modelers what at the same time improving the tribal community.

Operation: We would utilize a sub forum where every month an assinment would be posted. There after people would start a thread as their work in progrees (WIP) which would be critiqued upon until the final model is crated and skinned. After this the creator uploads it to the RDB. Btw, this is an open club, come and go as you please.

Assignments: Assignments are presented at the beginning of each month in the form of a STICKY. The guidelines would be posted there. The purpose of the assignment is to give people focus -- it's always easier to work on an idea when you know what you're working on. Our first project would be a simple one to get things started, as the Club evolves assignments may become a little more complex.
Example Assignment: "Recreate the disc launcher any way you see fit. Keep in mind there are two models involved, the gun and the disc. Also remeber it doesn't have to fire a disc -- be original if you would like to (but keeping it as discs is ok too)."

Next people would post their WIP threads. All WIP MUST start with a sketch (sketch can be any medium, pencil, photoshop, rough model; just as long as it shows you've got a direction you're going). There after other are able to critique the sketch and add suggestions, what they like what they don't like -- no "it sucks kill your self" flame bull****, keep that in generl tribes. The objective here is creative critisicm, not to put people down. Next people would post updates to their thread with SS of progress. People then critique the update. This process repeats itselfs all the up until the WIP thread owner post his final work. He then uploads to the RDB if he wishes.

Here is an example of a site that has a similar "club"
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid= 66

Custom Models in Tribes3?
Tribes 3 SHOULD support custom models which is why we are trying to build a community for it. One thing tribes players have always loved is the ability to customize their game. We've seen it with skins, we've seen it with hud, and we've seen it with scripts. In tribes 1 people have had to hack the code to add custom models showing the community it just wan't worth it to try making anything. We suggest full on support in 2 forms. Plug in, and Global.

Plug in: This is how skins worked in tribes2. You would put the files in your directory and you could only see the skin on other players if they too had the skin and had it applied to their model.

Global: This applies the skin (or model) as the base default. It overwrites everything like it was the original base.
We suggest having a customization screen where players can elect for their skins and models to be plug in or gloabal. Basically you would have a gloabal file list of all the skins and models you want to overwrite the base ones. Then you would also have a check box for "allow plugins" which would utilize any plug in skins or models on top of the globals.

A note on memory. We realize that plug in models will increase the required memory and may slow the game down, so that's something up to the user to decide. It's still better to leave the ability to change everything in the game for those who wish to go to such lengths.

Cheating is BAD!!
Our solution to cheating is this: The approved list. Any files uploaded to the tribalwar RDB are added to a CRC list and made available for server download.
We suggest the Tribes3 code allow for ease of putting crc .cs files in an approved folder so they can customize what skins and models they want, and do not want on their server. The only way to cheat this is if the server is a cheat -- we hope the popular servers are run by honest people.

This idea founded by: Elantri_x, Kwago, Sir Lucius, and Yaason

Yaason
04-06-2003, 22:07
im trying to learn everything i can in 3dmax within the next week so i can do some modeling. so far i can make a box and ive figured out how to move it

edit: what if somebody were to make a goatse model that shoots out the anus? how many poeple would use it?

marantz
04-06-2003, 22:11
good idea :bigthumb:

kwago
04-07-2003, 07:03
gaason, i shall help you

dunce_boy
04-07-2003, 14:35
I like how UT/UT2k3 handel weapon models,
One high poly weapon model for 1st person, and another low poly one for 3rd person view(or what other players hold).

I think T3 should try implement this, it allows high quility first person weapons, and lower quility weapons for everything else to improve FPS.
If it is done this way, it would be cool to at LEAST allow for custom first person weapons. I dont see how anyone could cheat with this(or more, why they would even try).

As far as player models, it would be great if they did it like Q3 did, where they only show up if both ppl have that model(like how T2 handels player skins). Then have CRC code check the default ones, so that one couldnt cheat and change the default weapons.

As far as the model critique club thing...eh, just use other modeling/texturing forums, you'll get better crits from there anyways.

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 15:00
the point isn't just to critique. It's to establish an actual modeling community in tribes. Right now it's just flat out dead b/c the game doesn't support it. I'm lobbying for support now and to do that we have to prove there would be an intrest.

In addation the mod community would have a place to turn to if they needed.

Other sites are great for learning, but they won't help the tribes community any.

dunce_boy
04-07-2003, 15:11
yeah, the makers of T3 need to realize that ppl want to be able to make custom models for games!!!

Hell, even ppl that dont play the game would want to make models for it. I mean, look at ut2k3...there are a ton of ppl that dont even have the game that make models for it.
Hell, I make skins for custom ut2k3 models, and I dont even play the game.

But I dont think theres much of a chance of gaining support for it until it is possiable.
I do think there would be a lot of support for it in T3, and its something they should try implement.

xpdnc
04-07-2003, 15:12
i want to be a tribes model!!

i can do an awesome Tree or Rock impression!!

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 18:51
Even if we DON;T get offical tribalwar support we're probably gonna set up on Elantri_x's server and do it anyways. And even if we DON;T get tribes3 support we're STILL gonna have a modeling club b/c we all want to get better (or at least yaas and me). I like the idea of having content guidelines -- and if we ever get bored of tribes or just feel like doing something else we will (like bear vs gorilla or something) and we can always submit renders to the fanart section (IF that over oges up ;| )

Now join our club or die >:|