How will tribes 3 address these issues?

Wildshot
04-06-2003, 19:46
According to what has been said by Marweas and Thrax in the past, there's a good chance the next tribes game will focus on a creating and maintaining a sport-like atmosphere. How will it address the issues brought up in this article:

http://www.gamespy.com/top10/april03/progaming/index.shtml

Sir Lucius
04-06-2003, 20:22
I pretty much agree with that article in terms of counterstrike and quake, but from the sound of it, it seems like this guy's never even heard of tribes.

I can guarantee you that our community is differnt. Now I will debunk his points.

10. Competitive Gaming is Not a Sport --
This is way too subjective. Some of my friends said race car driving is not a sport -- like nascar. But it's the most popular event in the US and makes even more money than football or baseball. How much differnt is racecar driving from a videogame? I believe they are quite similar myself if not for one being a little safer. You operate controls, it's all about knowing your machine and using your hand eye cordination. Some people have better cars than others, and sometimes they crash ;)

9. It’s No Fun to Watch --
The closer you get to photorealism the more fun it will become to the masses I think. Who doesn't love a good action movie afterall? Personally I love watching videogames, so I think this is too subjective as well.

8. The Games Keep Changing --
I'd say evolving. But he's right that patches (*cough*tribes2*cough*) can **** things up. But they tweak rules in pro games too (2 point conversion, instant replay).

7. Online Leagues Don’t Work --
They need to be community based like TWL. TWL is a GREAT league (ladder) and really shines of an example of what's good. Our anti-cheat weapon is the demo, and so far it's been rather effective.

6. Pro Gamers Have No Personality --
The **** we don't. Check out general tribes sometimes. We have guys who take deadly ****s in their girlfriend's bathrooms, wife beaters, anti-gravity device maker, mega trolls, top notch cynics, fraggle, best friend killers...****, we've got TONS of personality :)

5. There’s No Mainstream Appeal --
Very true. Some people just don't want to invest the money into making a gaming machine. It's all up to marweas into tricking them to do so.

4. Rules are Inconsistent --
TWL is what we fallow, sorry.

3. Too Many Leagues --
They need to be game specific like TWL

2. The Pro Community is Too Serious --
I think we get along GREAT with the devs. We're loud sometimes, but only b/c we care. All we're looking out for is...

1. Games Are Supposed to Be Fun!
^ that's all we're looking out for ;o
Can anyone say UVAlan?

Thrax Panda
04-06-2003, 22:55
Sure. No problem.

http://www.xzon.net/starcraft/boxer.php
http://www.game.or.kr/english/indunews/indunews_view.asp?idx=55
http://www.e-sports.or.kr/ (no english, sorry)

Korean gamers are so popular that they get highlights on nightly news. They have endorsement deals with Doritos and Korean soft drink companies. Many of them make over $50K US, and a few make far more than that, possibly in the range of $500K US after endorsement deals. (If we have anybody here from Korea, or military in Korea please chime in, because while I know quite a bit about Korean gaming, It's always better to hear it from somebody who has seen it first hand.)

Can that happen in "the west"? The revenues for the WWE last year were somewhat impressive. $425,026,000 isn't bad for a bunch of pumped up fake wrestlers.
http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tk r=wwe

So yes, I think it can happen in the US and Europe. Hell, bowling is a popular show on ESPN, and at one time was the number one televised sport in the USA when the PBA was a weekly part of ABC's wide world of sports (probably before most of you were born). Billiards tournaments are televised. One of the cable networks is starting to televise poker tournaments for god sake!

People my age are just getting into positions where they can make big decisions about things like televising gaming tournaments. My generation is on the fringes of gaming. When I was 18 computers were not cool. Now computers are not cool/un-cool, they just are. Everybody uses them, there is no stigma attached. So as we all get older I think it's more and more likely that we'll see some late night ESPN 2 coverage of gaming. But remember, NASCAR used to be televised only two or three times per year, now there's NASCAR coverage every day of the year on ESPN, ESPN2, TNN, Speed Channel, Fox Sports, NBC, Etc...

Pro gaming is coming to the US and Europe. When it will be big, I'm not sure, but it will be.

Sir Lucius
04-06-2003, 23:14
No pro gaming in Australia tho -- anything there gets overshadowed by National Dingo Wrestling ;o

snow
04-06-2003, 23:41
what channel, ive never seen dingo wrestling.

mojotooth
04-07-2003, 12:04
One of the cable networks is starting to televise poker tournaments for god sake!

ESPN2 has been carrying the World Series of Poker for as long as I can remember, actually. I've watched it a few times, more to see the personalities of the players than anything.

The one that tripped me out was that ESPN2 showed a Magic: The Gathering tournament one time. It was terrible.

Your point obviously still stands though. They're pushing the boundaries of "sport" a lot.

xpdnc
04-07-2003, 13:28
the most important part is having a team for every major city, each with it's own gay uniform

mojotooth
04-07-2003, 14:09
xp I'm guessing you were just talking out of your ass, but the idea actually has some merit.

Speaking as the captain of a team that has always been and will always be composed of local folks, I can tell you that there is a level of camaraderie and communication that exceeds that of MOST clans composed of random Internet people.

It's actually almost too bad that broadband is getting so ubiquitous. I think that if there were lots of very dedicated local gaming shops that organized local teams and hosted clan action on a regular basis, you would find the level of play increasing immediately.

However with everyone having broadband, there is understandably little impetus for people to collect in one place to do their gaming. So the concept of "local" teams won't gather much momentum, IMO.

xpdnc
04-07-2003, 14:43
yeah, i was making fun of the discussions here in buffalo about whether or not the Sabres should go back to the old blue/gold or stay with the new black/red.

it's just stupid :/

Natural
04-07-2003, 21:23
The concession people working at the Santa Clara Convention Center seemed very interested in the big-screen shoutcasted presentation of the Tribes Gala matches.

The potential size of the audience will grow as the gaming generation ages.

Beren
04-07-2003, 21:41
No pro gaming in Australia tho -- anything there gets overshadowed by National Dingo Wrestling ;o

heh, maybe oneday.

weird i must be a nerd, i have a computer open to tribes on topic, posting away, and another one in general posting away..

Sir Lucius
04-07-2003, 21:42
i need a 2nd monitor so I can play games and not miss any crazy irc antics at the same time.

Beren
04-07-2003, 21:50
well normally i browse TW forums in one (with irc in the background), and have the other one in irc (with TW forums in the background)... so i always have 2 instances of each running :D