T3: A game for many.

Pages : [1] 2

Special
04-03-2003, 16:12
Here are some roles I came up with that I see a lot in Tribes. And yes, they are ranked in skill-level, role-player being the worst at the game, hardcore being the best:

Role-player
Here's the guy who loves every aspect of the Tribes universe because it reads like a real-life comic book. He can flesh out his fantasies of being the leader of the Blood Eagle clan as they crush the infidels of the Diamond Sword tribe. He most likely leads his own clan that holds ranks and gives medals for good plays during scrimmages. He will probably have stars next to his name denoting his rank within his tribe. He will never be caught speaking out of character. He begins all sentences as: "To the heroic members of the Dragon Claw's Fifth Regime.

We all know who these guys are. More questions than answers. Everybody was once a newbie, but for some reason, nobody likes them. They're like the loud bastard child nobody wants to take care of. They enjoy scout ramming because airplanes in any game are cool. Flag? Oh yeah, I'll just sneak up to it and grab it! The enemy will never know what hit them as I tiptoe away!

Strategist
He's the guy who spends most of his time on the command map. He tries to tell the team what to do: "Attack now!" or "Go cover him!" He loses all duels he gets into because his reflexes have left him. He's the guy who will buy the APC in hopes of raiding the enemy base. "Oh yes," he thinks to himself, "a sensor jammer HERE will do the trick."

Casual
He's the guy who you see pubbing on your favorite servers. He'll make the occassional important flag pickup, probably dying 30 seconds after he does so. He'll repair you when you're HoFing, and he'll even take care of the base sometimes. He never taunts, he's always a nice guy, but he's always been a so-so player. He might become a recruit of some tribe but ends up being a lone wolf.

Think-he's-good
The loudmouthed annoying ***** who always taunts after he hits a cool shot, the one who likes to say "OMG" a lot. He's the guy who will set up for the newest super-fast cap route he learned from his friend, attempt it, and fail. He'll then blame it on the random bump that he never saw on the map before. He's pretty good at Tribes mainly because he plays way too much. He tries starting some tribe but it ends up failing badly.

Hardcore
Move out of the way. Here comes the hardcore player. Customized scripts, reticles, HUDs, soundpacks, you name it. He's most likely been on 3 or more tribes during his competitive career. He knows all maps inside out. He loathes anybody who dares to tell him how to play the game. He's probably cocky. He has no remorse for any of the aforementioned players, because to him, they're just wasting space on his team.

And to think, they have to make T3 appeal to all these gamers at once :)

mall0ry
04-03-2003, 16:41
hrm.
good post.

Sir Lucius
04-03-2003, 16:48
If you leave in the ability for good players to play good, I don't understand how that subtracts from what the other types want to do.

I can see someone practcing all of those play styles in tribes1, but it flattens out in tribes2 after casual (not much differnce betwwn casual and hardcore) due to limiters. Take away the limitations and it doesn't keep a newbie from playing like a newbie.

Marweas
04-03-2003, 20:59
Casual
He's the guy who you see pubbing on your favorite servers. He'll make the occassional important flag pickup, probably dying 30 seconds after he does so. He'll repair you when you're HoFing, and he'll even take care of the base sometimes. He never taunts, he's always a nice guy, but he's always been a so-so player. He might become a recruit of some tribe but ends up being a lone wolf.

Wow. Nailed. Nice post.

But you left out about half the audience.

Special
04-03-2003, 21:18
Wow. Nailed. Nice post.

But you left out about half the audience.

Which half did I leave out?

Marweas
04-03-2003, 21:35
Quaker
This person rocks at other multiplayer shooters, but never leaves the ground. They're miffed by inventory stations and the lack of powerups, but are proficient enough at multiplayer gaming to know how to chat insults in leet-speak. They disdain llamas (newbies) but never realize they are even less useful.

Gadgeteer
This class of players spans various skill-sets, but can be identified by their complete lack of interest in the outcome of a match. They want to set up turrets and sensors, cameras and remote invs. They have never seen the enemy flag, and don't understand anything about coordination. They place rocket/mortar turrets indoors, and are keenly interested in the command station. They want the gameplay to be about 16 times slower and the deployable limit to be eradicated completely.

Flight-simmer
Brought in by the promise of multi-person vehicles, these people completely don't care about armors or jetpacks. They don't use inventory stations - only vehicle stations. Their interest is driving/flying, dropping bombs, and dogfighting other vehicles. They sneer at people without vehicles, believing them to be unimportant infantry elements and less important to the game than they are. They have seen the enemy flag but have never moved it from the stand, as you would have to exit the vehicle to grab it. They are offended and miffed when Heavies fail to jump in the APC they have prepared to bring them to the enemy.

Socialites
These people suck at shooting, skiing, flying, and just about everything else. But man, they rock at running up to you, waving, saying "Hi!" and doing a little dance. They learned to juggle before they learned to shoot. They hit more keystrokes chatting with others and talking smack than actually moving their character. Easily identified by this text accompanying their death message: "So I was telling herwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Single-players
Having gone online and gotten their asses kicked hard for a full map, these players resign themselves to mastering the training missions before they go online. They practice and practice against the bots until they feel they can own them outright. They then go online, get their asses kicked hard for a full map and return to the single player experience which allows them to save face in front of their friends.

Hatas
These players of varying skill levels complain about the game to anyone that will listen. Regardless of how bad or good they are playing, the game sucks and lacks features and implementations commonly found in other games, typically of different genres. They ***** that the CG is better in this game, the command map is better in this game, and geez, you know this game has atmospheric reentry vehicles, and if Tribes had them, then it might not be such a POS.

Some people clearly fall into multiple categories, but I'm sure there are more that I left out.

Sir Lucius
04-03-2003, 21:48
I'll fill in where Marweas is talking about for you.

There's no skill level here, just classifications of gamers.

Forum Whore
Doesn't actually play tribes but once did or had a friend who did so he figures his input is just as good as any. Usually the most cynical sometimes even a good player. Very vocal as to add weight to his opinion. Also very self-centerd.

****ing gay ass Panama Jack Wannabe
Wants tribes to be an RTS. Believes war games should reflect real life war. Strongly believes in TEAMWORK and will use it as a cop out for whenever his vision has balance issuses or is overall not fun. This person usually sucks at scripting AND at developing games. Track records indicate history will never learn from these people.

Old Shcool Triber
Played Tribes1 and believes tribes 3 should be tribes 1 with better grpahics. Thinks tribes 2 sucks.

New School Triber
Plays Tribes 2 and believe tribes 3 should be the next step in the series. Believes tribes 3 will be tribes 2 with weapons pack and graphic updates. These people usually hate Old School Tribers and say they sucked to much to play Tribes2. These people do not play base. They are sometimes bioderm loving ******s.

What's tribes?
This person played ut, q3, cs, etc. They recently upgraded their computer and just got a copy of tribes3 b/c it had cool screen shots. They are not a newbie b/c they don't ask questions, they play the game as they played ut, q3, cs, etc. They'll always suck but will usually be in a tribe that also plays in ut, q3, cs, etc. Their main purpose is to fill the ladders up at the bottom so the casual players don't feel like compleate losers.

The 12 year old
How they got access to the computer, no one knows. They don't buy games so it's pointless to market towards them. They're annoying and can't type, but usually fall for the "alt-f4 for god mode" trick.

The Hot Chick
Not really a girl, it's a trap -- don't be fooled. If it is a girl get naked pics and post them on a forum -- everyone will have a good laugh. Usually doesn't play tribes tho unless it's someone crazy like halfthesky or jazmine.

The Tribal Gay
Most people are gay but not in the irl sense. Either way tho it might be safest to add a pink armor to the game.

The 5-Assed Monkeys Server Admin
They suck at tribes and suck worse at running a server. Don't tell them tribes 3 is comming out and maybe we won't have to deal with them.

The IE Relic
Thinks he's special for some reason -- wait a sec..

The Weasel
Doesn't play tribes and probably sucks at it but says he does b/c he's weasly like that.

The Angry Panda
Makes tribes 3. Eats babies.

Creole Ned
04-04-2003, 03:13
The non-CTFer
One of a very small group of players who remembers the early days of Tribes when all gametypes -- DM, CTF, D&D, C&H and F&R -- got played, enjoyed the variety and then sat back and watched as 3/4 of the game was pushed aside in favor of CTF, then watched it happen again in T2 and holds little hope that the next game won't be built around CTF, too. These players often enjoy objective-based FPS's like BF1942 and RTCW.

Data
04-04-2003, 10:06
Socialites
These people suck at shooting, skiing, flying, and just about everything else. But man, they rock at running up to you, waving, saying "Hi!" and doing a little dance. They learned to juggle before they learned to shoot. They hit more keystrokes chatting with others and talking smack than actually moving their character. Easily identified by this text accompanying their death message: "So I was telling herwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

:rofl:

Cause I've been there...

Stig
04-04-2003, 12:24
Hardcore
Move out of the way. Here comes the hardcore player. Customized scripts, reticles, HUDs, soundpacks, you name it. He's most likely been on 3 or more tribes during his competitive career. He knows all maps inside out. He loathes anybody who dares to tell him how to play the game. He's probably cocky. He has no remorse for any of the aforementioned players, because to him, they're just wasting space on his team.

ha!

this makes me feel pretty good. 1 tribe, no scripts, reticles, HUDs or anything, naturally ****ing good and extremely modest

I own you all

Ixiterra
04-04-2003, 12:39
ha!

this makes me feel pretty good. 1 tribe, no scripts, reticles, HUDs or anything, naturally ****ing good and extremely modest

I own you all

After about 3 and a half years of playing Tribes, I finally changed my reticle to one that looks cooler and is a little better for no-zoom sniping and CG'ing. ;) That's about it though.

Sir Lucius
04-04-2003, 15:29
ha!
...naturally ****ing good and extremely modest

I own you all

Think-he's-good

Stig
04-04-2003, 15:40
know-he's-good

<3

Marweas
04-04-2003, 15:46
The non-CTFer
One of a very small group of players who remembers the early days of Tribes when all gametypes -- DM, CTF, D&D, C&H and F&R -- got played, enjoyed the variety and then sat back and watched as 3/4 of the game was pushed aside in favor of CTF, then watched it happen again in T2 and holds little hope that the next game won't be built around CTF, too. These players often enjoy objective-based FPS's like BF1942 and RTCW.

Thanks Ned, how did we miss that one?

Ceiling_Fan
04-04-2003, 15:55
Forum Whore
Doesn't actually play tribes but once did or had a friend who did so he figures his input is just as good as any. Usually the most cynical sometimes even a good player. Very vocal as to add weight to his opinion. Also very self-centerd.

And proud of it!

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/tribalwar_forum_whore.gif

xpdnc
04-04-2003, 16:24
you forgot me :(

Sub-par for Life

This gamer has been playing for years, has all the scripts and rets of a hardcore player, but for some reason never became good like the rest of the community. Stuck in a time-warp, this player will forever be known for not being known. Often seen doing the jobs in pubs that no one else will, this player will get a few good shots and quite a few horrible shots, never being consistant enough in either to make the transfer to down to newbie or up to hardcore.

Got Haggis?
04-04-2003, 18:03
Counter-Striker

Uses the term Flash Bang and wants to "buy" weapons and vehicles at inventory stations.

xpdnc
04-04-2003, 18:08
umm...you do buy things from the invos...they used to have limited energy...

Got Haggis?
04-05-2003, 12:05
that was in tribes 1, and also was totally dependent on how the server was setup

Buk Naked
04-05-2003, 12:56
you forgot me :(

Sub-par for Life

This gamer has been playing for years, has all the scripts and rets of a hardcore player, but for some reason never became good like the rest of the community. Stuck in a time-warp, this player will forever be known for not being known. Often seen doing the jobs in pubs that no one else will, this player will get a few good shots and quite a few horrible shots, never being consistant enough in either to make the transfer to down to newbie or up to hardcore.

Man, that's how I feel. Kind of like I'm a huge fan of this game that I totally enjoy, have been playing for years, but still am just average at best. Recently got into messing with all the skins and spent way too much time just doing that.