Gameplay types

Pages : [1] 2 3

Locke355
04-03-2003, 01:13
Other than CTF.

Begin.

Darkpoint
04-03-2003, 01:17
t2 had ctf, rabbit, siege, bounty, later tr2, and a few others.

They should change siege back to d&d. Leave rabbit and ctf, drop teh rest.

Doaln
04-03-2003, 01:26
I think in the interest of having mass-appeal, they should implement Hunter (summary at bottom) again. Although I only played it several times ever, I thought it was pretty entertaining, and I'm sure the DM crowds of UT2k3 (& others) would love it. Also include Team Hunter (they had that didn't they?). These people could also be slowly weened over to CTF as they learn to ski and whatnot in their natural DM environment.

Arena should also no doubt come back with full support from release. Arena was incredibly fun in Tribes 1, and can be so again. I don't think anyone would argue against this. (If you don't know, it's basically like team DM, with rounds that end like Counter-strike.)

I'll try hard to think of some other good ones.

If you don't know, (& if I remember correctly), Hunter was a DM style where you got a flag for killing someone. You collected 'em and when someone died, they cough up all the flags they had collected. Someone grabbed 40 flags? Kill 'em and those 40 flags explode.) The trick was deciding when to "bank" the flags by entering the nexus. Various other rules apply (like receiving damage for camping the nexus).

Fidelio
04-03-2003, 02:14
team hunters could have been really cool if they'd have found a solution to the whole run over to the enemy base, get them to shoot at you, run back to your base and impale yourself thing.

i'd also really like to see TR2 given a full workover as a more mainstream gametype with very well tested maps and a different, more appropriate name to the gametype. the gameplay was simply awesome and i can't speak highly enough of it. it's truly unfortunate it didn't take off.

it's late, i'm tired. maybe i'll think up something more later.

Bevski
04-03-2003, 03:43
tribes football!

Locke355
04-03-2003, 03:53
What was wrong with siege?

Natural
04-03-2003, 04:13
Three-Way CTF. Specific maps with relatively strong defensive structures. Teams are arranged in a triangle order:

...A...
.B...C.
A must capture B's flag, B must capture C's, C must capture A's. The first to capture the flag results in victory. Sport-oriented gametype.

Possible alternative - first team to have its flag captured is eliminated. Flags and/or game is reset with remaining teams. Single-elimination tournament played at a massive scale, allows for more than 3 teams (maybe 6 max?).

Of course all pub gametypes should rotate players on successive maps.

Expand upon this idea with different gametypes within a single match, as well as teams with multiple parts operating from different bases... imagine the possibilities.

Natural
04-03-2003, 04:23
EXTREMESKI

Nuff said.

Edit - Actually a modification of the extremeski concept would be an execellent training module.

Locke355
04-03-2003, 04:27
I would really like to do a roller derby meets extreme ski.

Natural
04-03-2003, 04:30
King of the hill. Multiple levels of bases. Four bases on bottom level, three on 2nd, two on 3rd, and one at the top (king). Two teams. One team must work way UP the mountain/floating islands while the other team defends it (may spawn at any of the team's bases).

(edit)
There are many ways to handle the transition of base possession. One way would be to have an objective, such as a flag, that you must bring to the base to claim it. The attacking team could have a specific # of flags to work with, OR begin with 1 or 2 and be required to gain the additional flags at the lower level bases they capture (as they go up).

When I say bring to the base... this could be a goal (ala TR2), a stand, an area you must hold it for a certain # of time, I don't know. Think about it.

Another way to do it is to simply require a point of control (POC) similar to the Nexon's Shattered Galaxy (www.shatteredgalaxy.com) . Take over the base in a DM-style fashion and you gain ownership. However that would turn the gametype into a flashy DM which isn't all that fun IMO.

Another would be to actually have a mini version of CTF. Capture the flag, take over the base. However it doesn't seem very logical in that you're running your team away from the base in order to capture it?

(end edit)

Only the team defending the top gains points. The points accumulate over the whole round. Starting sides switch at game start/halftime. Sport-oriented gametype.

Natural
04-03-2003, 04:34
No matter how many gametypes the next tribes game develops, I certainly hope they only release (initial) the highest quality ones. I'd hate to see them release CTF/Arena/TeamRabbit at a high quality, then throw in a few other gametypes that are basically modified server types without any significant differences. Each game type should have a unique feel and give the player a truly different experience with the game.

If a gametype isn't perfect... save it for an official patch (like UT2003). Free publicity will also add to post-release sales =)

Sir Lucius
04-03-2003, 04:44
Super Smash Brothers Mode. The game takes place on an island surounded by lava (or just infinate drop to a death brush since lava can be ugly sometimes). Players do not die from weapons, but they have damage meters like in ssbm. The more damage they take take the more suseptable they become to weapon kickback. So eventually you get players getting blasted across the map.

Some possibilites on the idea- Everyone has 3 lives and you start as light. Light has an epack, disclauncher, grenades, and shocklance (or vairation there of a shocklance -- I really don't know what's going to be in tribes 3). After every death you upgrade an armor class. So after you fall into the lava as light, you spawn as a medium. This time you get a chaingun which will be useful for dusting off the light armors. Also mediums are harder to move, so the idea is they should stand up against the lights better. After you die as a medium you come back as a heavy with the god power of the mortar! >:0
This is where the **** hits the fan. The best games will end up with 10 heavies trying to mortar each other into oblivion.

Since you can only die by falling off the edge you'll basically have infinate disc jumps AND mortar jumps. But when you're at 100% damage with them you'll ****ing fly. Maps would be somewhat smaller than tr2 size.

Oh, and since the dj are gonna be so powerful, you'll probably get a lot of people bunny hopping in the air, but that's cool, b/c you can have the maps slope down from the middle like a cone. Any dj will end in a massive ski route and make them suseptable to someone else's blast.

Only downside is people who die too soon might get bored watching everyone else have fun. So you'd have to tweak things a bit. Let's say, just to ammuse myself here, games are 10 minutes, after 10 minutes the light armors get 3 points, mediums get 2 points, heavies get 1 point. Anyone joining the game automatically joins as the highest class armor on the filed and can recive no score for the round. A little tricky to make it fun over all but I think it could work with some weapon tweaking.

Sir Lucius
04-03-2003, 04:59
ok, here's a ssbm scoring variation methods.

You have 3 10 minute rounds per map.

After you die a 3rd time you always respawn as heavy.

--or--

You play a map for 30 (20 whatever) mins and restart as light after a heavy death and repeat the cycle.

Repeating as light may be the most fun and possibly the most balanced as some people will complain what is easiest to play as.

Every time you die you get a point. Lowest score wins :]
People joining half way though start with the highest score (sounds unfair if someone really sucks so what ever, you can average the 3 highest scores or something).

IF there were a tourney mode tho, you'd have only the 3 live.

mojotooth
04-03-2003, 14:16
King of the hill. Multiple levels of bases. Four bases on bottom level, three on 2nd, two on 3rd, and one at the top (king). Two teams. One team must work way UP the mountain/floating islands while the other team defends it (may spawn at any of the team's bases).

Neat idea. You could do something pretty similar with the current Siege or C&H gametype if you design the map correctly.

TheGhost
04-03-2003, 14:30
lol luci, nice game type

Soffo
04-03-2003, 14:39
Three-Way CTF. Specific maps with relatively strong defensive structures. Teams are arranged in a triangle order:

...A...
.B...C.
A must capture B's flag, B must capture C's, C must capture A's. The first to capture the flag results in victory. Sport-oriented gametype.

Possible alternative - first team to have its flag captured is eliminated. Flags and/or game is reset with remaining teams. Single-elimination tournament played at a massive scale, allows for more than 3 teams (maybe 6 max?).

Of course all pub gametypes should rotate players on successive maps.

Expand upon this idea with different gametypes within a single match, as well as teams with multiple parts operating from different bases... imagine the possibilities.

This was somewhat fun in t1, but it went pretty awry in pubs.

3 Way CTF + TWL would be a hell of alot of fun, with some insane matches.

half the sky
04-03-2003, 14:43
I want CTF with grinding! Like on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. jetpacks + skiing + grinding over terrain obstacles. I would be a very happy girl.

Natural
04-03-2003, 14:51
Urban terror. Industralized map with tall buildings allowing defensive fortification. One team must bring a slow moving vehicle/relic of some sort to the other side of the map. The other team must prevent it from getting through. Rotational-style gameplay. Could support the addition of a stealth-type player with deployable explosives. (IDEA, not supporting it =)

Uncle Silas
04-03-2003, 14:59
I like the idea of 3 or 4 way CTF with small 5-8man teams.

Flatscan
04-03-2003, 15:30
Gametypes that I would like to see in addition to CTF include:

Team Rabbit
Rabbit
Hunters
Team Hunters (exploit fixed)
DM
Arena

I thought Bounty sucked and don't have much experience with the others. The 5 seconds that I looked at each of them they seemed ok.