[T3] Map auto download

Uncle Silas
03-31-2003, 19:06
While I was waiting to go to sleep last night I had a thought about T3.

The game NEEDS an auto map download feature that actually works. The mapping community would be extremely greatful.

However, that wouldn't work too well stealing bandwidth/cpu time on a server with 32+ players. So I wondered, why not put in a Kazaa style download organizer where instead of pulling the whole map slowly off the server it would pull small pieces off the players on the server (taking only a tiny amount of bandwidth of course).

Or, instead of having all that lame community crap, host a couple of community map servers where it pulls the maps.

Also, does Marweas read this forum?

Dirty Sanchez
03-31-2003, 19:07
nah. i dont need sniperxyzgokus maps on my system

JerryGarcia
03-31-2003, 19:31
simpler = better

Neofight
03-31-2003, 20:54
nah. i dont need sniperxyzgokus maps on my system

I never play on servers that run the infamous sniperxyzgokus map, so that wouldn't be a problem. :p

There is something to be said for including at least one newb-proof map in a server rotation: It has a way of clearing the server of unwanted vermin. Make them download them if it takes more than about an hour to code a fool-proof autodownloader; spend the time on the game if it comes down to it!

Thrax Panda
03-31-2003, 21:07
While I was waiting to go to sleep last night I had a thought about T3.

The game NEEDS an auto map download feature that actually works. The mapping community would be extremely greatful.How about just allowing a server or a map to specify an alternate download site and having the game use either FTP or HTTP to download it from that external site? Seems like it would be a bit easier to deal with than sucking everybody's bandwidth.

Uncle Silas
03-31-2003, 22:17
How about just allowing a server or a map to specify an alternate download site and having the game use either FTP or HTTP to download it from that external site? Seems like it would be a bit easier to deal with than sucking everybody's bandwidth.

Certainly. That would be the optimal thing. And yes, simpler is better, I agree. I only mention the Kazaa style peer-to-peer setup because it makes some sense if it's being pulled from the server anyway. If you already know what the person's bandwidth is like you could keep from sucking 2/3kbs from some poor modem humper who's only getting 5kbs anyway. When I'm gaming I fileshare MP3s via SoulSeek but keep it choaked down to 4kbs and I've never really noticed any problem (I have a 640k DSL which is nice). Considering the level of complicity I would imagine this would not be cost effective to impliment...but it's just an idea. :)

As far as getting crappy maps on your system I agree but when I play T2 I generally limit myself to probably 5 servers, all of which have a consistent map rotation. If T3 had an autodownload system I would be happy to download whatever they had on their server simply because I trust the tastes of the admin since they're vet Tribers as well.

I only mention this because myself and many other mappers worked our asses off on maps and then got 100 or 200 people DLing it from T2maps.com, running through them for 5 minutes and saying, "cool map, man". It's not because the maps sucked it's just because those mappers didn't have a well-known name in the Tribes community. And maps, as much as mods, are one of the main things that cause the gaming community to grow and change and they keep the game fresh.