[TR2] Team Rabbit 2 has left the building...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mojotooth
03-27-2003, 18:10
Welp, the doors just closed on what a lot of people think is the most unique and refreshing gametype ever for a first-person shooter.

TeamWarfare shut down its Team Rabbit 2 ladder today. It had gotten down to 8 teams and was about to lose a couple more.

There are lots of reasons this great gametype didn't survive. No point in laying blame here, I think we all have our ideas as to where the mistakes were made.

This post is just to mourn the death of a competitive community that could have been the most interesting niche community since Tribes 1.

I'm not naive enough to think that TWL is the only place that TR2 was discussed competitively. There is at least one Euro ladder (http://theladder.org) that appears to be completely inactive, although it seems to my prying eyes that they just finished a small league. I find references on all kinds of dead websites about how excited teams were to start playing TR2, but their last update was "TR2 is release, get to practicing" or some similar macabre thing.

However I think it is fair to say that with TWL out of the picture, the chances of a truly thriving TR2 ladder are pretty much eliminated. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Ah well. There will still be pickups for TR2, hopefully on a regular basis. If you're curious as to what you missed, show up to one of them and observe.

TR2 Out.

Vurt
03-27-2003, 18:30
The pacrim ladder died a quick death aswell. I enjoyed TR2 alot it just didn't last, i can't put my finger on why.

Beren
03-27-2003, 18:37
:disgust:

RedSpider
03-27-2003, 19:05
TR2 rocked.
I own TR2.

R@ND0M
03-27-2003, 19:52
Same thing happened w/ Pacrim Tribes 1
I wouldn't bother with TWL, 90% of the admins (apart from 2 or 3) are retarded.

mojotooth
03-27-2003, 19:54
The TWL admins that worked in TR2 were great. Admins weren't the problem, not by a long shot.

If admins were the issue, the other one or two ladders that formed might have survived.

Anyways... no point in discussing what went wrong here.

Colosus
03-28-2003, 00:26
What were the problems? So they can be fixed.

Thrax Panda
03-28-2003, 01:36
Anyways... no point in discussing what went wrong here.Is there a better place to discuss it? Why do you think that TR2 didn't do as well as it could have?

NoGodForMe
03-28-2003, 05:51
I only played in pubs, not competitive. At first TR2 was fun to play. But then I got bored chasing the flag carrier. Everyone uses the chain gun and the flag carrier only lasts a few seconds. Yes, I realize the idea was to make people pass the flag, but this never happened in pubs. You'd have to time your run just right so you could swoop in and grab the flag while it was on the ground. I never quite mastered this, got bored, and went back to CTF.

g0ds gReeN
03-28-2003, 08:41
i stopped playing tr2 after i lost my damn cd case. then i went back to t1 cuz t2 sucks <---opinion
edit* sad too, tr2 kept me playing t2

Da_Timsta
03-28-2003, 09:03
Is there a better place to discuss it? Why do you think that TR2 didn't do as well as it could have?

I think most players saw it as a "simple fun mod" like hunters or rabbit. Also pubs were very elitist; every time a new player scored a goal it was "the wrong way". If a new player achives what seems to be success and is called an idiot for it, he/she probably wont play again.

I still think that TR2 have tons of potential, more than base or classic ever had. To bad it just didnt appeal to the usual Tribes player who seems to think that complexity in features means complexity in gameplay.

[edit] also, spawnpassing was annoying :P

Thrax Panda
03-28-2003, 11:34
i stopped playing tr2 after i lost my damn cd case. then i went back to t1 cuz t2 sucks <---opinion
edit* sad too, tr2 kept me playing t2CD is not required to play T2.

dex0r
03-28-2003, 11:36
:disgust:

yah im gone fer a 2months an the muther****er is gone - boooo.

mojotooth
03-28-2003, 13:57
Is there a better place to discuss it? Why do you think that TR2 didn't do as well as it could have?

Well, I think it will probably degrade into a blame fest.

Lemme work up a list.

Stilgar
03-28-2003, 14:05
Two basic camps.
One says Tribes(1 or 2) is a game of war.
The other sees Tribes as a sport, and Tr2 made a good fit.
I guess the warmongers won out.
Personally, I never liked TR2...I play "Army" not soccer.
I also play base, so that'll tell you how messed up I am.
Just leave it alone, PULEASE.

Colosus
03-28-2003, 14:10
Two basic camps.
One says Tribes(1 or 2) is a game of war.
The other sees Tribes as a sport, and Tr2 made a good fit.
I guess the warmongers won out.
Personally, I never liked TR2...I play "Army" not soccer.
I also play base, so that'll tell you how messed up I am.
Just leave it alone, PULEASE.

Why can't you play what you want and let others play what they want? You play base where a large group plays Classic. How is it any different?

RedSpider
03-28-2003, 14:29
Mojo blames mHc for the destruction of TR2.

dex0r
03-28-2003, 14:36
mutated hairy cracks :wave:

mojotooth
03-29-2003, 12:35
Mojo blames mHc for the destruction of TR2.

I blame YOU for me not having any buttsekkz lately. But I wish TR2 competitive play had been a little more in the direction of the way you guys played it.

But I'm talking about fundamental flaws in the game and its infrastructure, not single homotribes and what they did or did not do. ;)

Colosus
03-29-2003, 15:11
I blame YOU for me not having any buttsekkz lately. But I wish TR2 competitive play had been a little more in the direction of the way you guys played it.

But I'm talking about fundamental flaws in the game and its infrastructure, not single homotribes and what they did or did not do. ;)

SPEAK! make the longest post in history. What was wrong? What would you do? Now is the time to talk about it while it is fresh.