Make Hunters not suck in T3 - It could be a very popular niche gametype

Flatscan
03-24-2003, 19:40
Prior to the release of T2, I played T1 Hunters all the time. A number of very good players would pub hunters (most notably Sureshot/MACC10). The core group that played it had an immense amount of fun (super addicting).

T1 Hunters was released late and was swamped by CTF, however.

T2 Hunters sucked for a number of reasons. Chief amongst them were piss poor map design (way way too big, bad spawns, complicated indoor bases) and T2 physics generally.

I continue to believe that a very well-done Hunters mod could be very popular if concurrently released with the rest of the game (CTF, TR, etc.).

Here are elements that I think should be included:

* Assumption: Good T1-type skiing physics
* Mostly outdoor, ski-oriented maps (see Spear and the Magic Helmet - best Hunters map ever).

The skiing doesn't need to be newbish, but it doesn't need to be God's Rift (TR2 map) either. Emphasis should be placed on the ability to get speed. I would like to see some TR2 like "boosts" incorporated for big vertical maps.

* Indoor bases should be relatively simple and difficult to camp. Nothing is more boring than camping.
* Add back minediscing but make deployed mines blow up after 3 seconds. This allows guys to practice minediscing, but prevents stupid nexus-mining.
* Centralized spawns proximate to both inventories and likely areas of engagement.

I played very little T2 Team Hunters. I never really liked the concept. Allegedly some exploit killed the gametype, but I'm not sure what it was. To the extent that a "Team Hunters" mod is made, care should be taken to fix whatever this exploit was.

Sir Lucius
03-24-2003, 19:42
add: Satchel the nexes

mojotooth
03-27-2003, 17:51
I played very little T2 Team Hunters. I never really liked the concept. Allegedly some exploit killed the gametype, but I'm not sure what it was. To the extent that a "Team Hunters" mod is made, care should be taken to fix whatever this exploit was.

I thought Team Hunters was very cool, but because of CTF I never got around to competing in it.

The exploit that I believe you're referring to is as follows. I'm not 100% sure of the details but I think this is the gist of it. Somebody plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Since, with Team Damage, you can potentially TK your teammates, the obvious exploit is that you TK in order to get flags. That's a ridiculous flaw in the concept so the fix that Dynamix put in was that you had to be harmed by an enemy in order to drop a flag.

At first blush that would seem to be a good fix. However, the other team knew that if they hurt you, you could then be TK'd and puke up a flag, probably for a teammate. The scenario is, go get in a fight, don't shoot your weapon (thereby not giving your enemy a chance to drop his flag for his teammate), get hurt a little bit by the enemy, then retreat and let a teammate finish you off for your flag.

So IIRC, what started happening is that two teams would square off and would be basically non-combative. You wouldn't even shoot your opponents unless you were absolutely sure you could finish them off without them being able to get away.

By the time this retarded mode of thinking emerged, it was probably too late to get somebody in power to change the game.

As long as people played with the basic premise that you WANTED to harm your enemies whenever generally possible, the gametype was great. {SiR} used to have full-fledged Team Hunters games near the end of practice just to have a change of pace and to work on DM'ing skills a bit.

RedSpider
03-27-2003, 18:24
Alot of people played team hunters before T2 arena came out. It was ok, most of us had more fun in arena however.

Beren
03-27-2003, 18:42
don't re-add mine-disking.

Yogi
03-27-2003, 18:44
Poor map design affect a lot of game types.

The CnH maps were ****.

Dirty Sanchez
03-27-2003, 18:54
some awesome Team Hunters matches were had at UVA3, not sure if the tradition continued in the following lans. But yes, poor map design brought it down, and the fact that you could just suicide near a teammate if you took damage to drop a flag. kinda cheese :\

Beren
03-27-2003, 21:54
The CnH maps were ****.

What he said^

CnH was a big disappointment.. it is, to some degree, the most realistic gametype, and it got screwed.

Sir Lucius
03-27-2003, 22:08
They should make a timer on the CnH maps, or require you to capture points with a repair pack or something! >:0

[meph]DooM!
03-28-2003, 07:54
T2's engine didn't help, I couldn't freakin see the flags half of the time. Horrible bases too

I loved Hunters in T1 ;/