DM in T3

NoGodForMe
03-23-2003, 09:08
Death match hasn't really been discussed that much because CTF rules.

But the death match side of the game is important because that lets it be used in 1 on 1 tournaments, like the CPL. If they make good DM maps and have a tournament mode, that could help T3 become more popular.

It would be cool to see T3 as the major game used in a tournament, instead of the next Quake or UT.

So what do you think needs to happen to make T3 a major DM game used in tournaments?

Da_Timsta
03-23-2003, 09:38
I think it would be rather hard to make Tribes popular in 1v1. I play it to get away from those sort of games, so I don't really see a point in aiming at a good 1v1 game. What Quake/UT has that makes 1on1 interesting are complex(sorta) indoor maps and powerups. Tribes has no powerups and is based on outdoor terrains and skiing. I can't really see how and why you would make it a 1v1 game.

Maybe make something like the LT mappack(5v5) with smaller teams and less complexity, but definently not 1v1. CS is doing fine with 5v5 isnt it? :)

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 09:50
DM would be best suited like Tribes Arena or DuelMOD, where you either spawn with your loadout, or you get to choose it from a menu.
Tribes Deathmatch was terrible, you should have spawned with maybe just a disc launcher, and have e-packs/other weapons around the map.

Maybe a way to travel fast indoors (something like increased player movement, only requires skill), either strafe jumping, double-tap dodging or a grapple would improve deathmatch greatly imho.
There was no real depth to Tribes Deathmatch, and it got boring fast..

I'd like to see mods like Rabbit, Hunters/Team Hunters, DrinkMOD, Siege, Duel, Team Rabbit, Arena (Similar to Rocket Arena 3 with multiple "Arenas" around the map), Defend and Destroy, Find and Retrieve, Capture and Hold all included in the game.

As for a new gametype, what about "Capture the Fortress", similar to Tribes 2's Siege, only a Light Armor only MOD, inside huge maze-like bases. Where you spawn with current required loadout (Shield pack/Plasma/Disc/Gren).
One of the main reasons maps like Scarabrae and Blastside suck, is because it's nearly impossible to kill a heavy w/ shield inside small corridors.
If it was Light only, no Turrets, limited Grenade Launcher Ammo (Maybe reduced to 5 or less), I think it could be really fun.
If you want to cater for the Quake players, do it with MOD's. It's a proven fact that one game-type can't satisfy everybody. Look for what's worked in previous First Person Shooters and build from it.

I also like the idea of multiple Arenas running different gametypes on one server.
i.e: One server runs 4 Arena's, of 4 gametypes, CTF, Duel, Team Rabbit and Find and Retrieve.
Say if you're sick of playing CTF for now (Which should have a maximum of 10 per team no matter what), you just hit TAB, select another Arena you want to play in, and you're instantly transported to another location on the map and playing a completely different gametype/map layout.
Servers nowdays can handle large amounts of players, and by the time the next Tribes is released, there will probably be 4GHz+ processors.

Anyway, back to Deathmatch, I think the whole idea needs to be re-designed, with alot more additions and modifications made to it, to give it more lastability.

TerroX
03-23-2003, 21:05
If modding has anywhere near the power of T2 modding then just leave it out and let the best modders work on it, I'd say that for most of the gametypes really. Don't waste time on non-popular stuff and pick all the new cool community created junk in an Update to grab all the extra customers if needed a few months after release.

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 21:58
If modding has anywhere near the power of T2 modding then just leave it out and let the best modders work on it, I'd say that for most of the gametypes really. Don't waste time on non-popular stuff and pick all the new cool community created junk in an Update to grab all the extra customers if needed a few months after release.

No.

You need to cater to all players, and have them hooked in their very first time playing.
Forcing them to download 50 patches and 20 mods just to play the gametype they want is NOT good customer service.
Hopefully if they don't have time to finish all the gametypes, a few good scripters on Beta will be able to design the Gametypes for when the game goes gold.

If there's an auto-updater, make sure it works from the very beginning, so you don't need to update an auto-updater..

TerroX
03-23-2003, 22:22
No.
Gametypes dont require a patch or download - or if they do they SHOULD NOT.
ie Arena and Duel, you dont have to download to join those.
and the good ones are picked up in a big update release (which is kept very very small in file size, because 80 meg patch for useless repeating grass and .bmp uncompressed textures was really stupid).

So we agree.
But I don't want developers wasting time making CTF, DM, CnH, Rabbit, etc etc when they can just make CTF better and let everyone else diverge into their own worlds (maybe provide quick crappy ones at least, but effort and time should be minimal at best)

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 23:04
OK.

We're kind of arguing the same point, only from different perspectives.
I think scripters could do a good job of producing these MOD's during the beta period though.

TerroX
03-24-2003, 02:21
yep. except modding while the game is in progress is hard work if the dev team does not document changes like they did(not) with T2.