Missle launcher in T3....

Pages : [1] 2

HomeSlice
03-22-2003, 13:35
What is everyone's thoughts on the Missle launcher? Did anyone find it useful in T2? I found it good for taking out turrets, etc. It was a useless weapon on players though. The question is, should it be in T3? Why or why not.

Da_Timsta
03-22-2003, 13:52
well it balanced the game out, so it was sorta needed. Tho it made flares mandatory wich ruined the idea of having different grenades.

I think they should balance the game out in a less "obvious" way. Also the fact that it doesnt really take any skill to use is annoying.

jsut
03-22-2003, 15:43
It only made flares manditory for people who didn't pay attention to energy consumption. Just like everything else in the game, the decision to carry flares is a trade off.

Cappers should carry flares if they want to live, but that doesn't mean everyone has to.

on topic though, i have no problem with the RL in T2. a lot of people want it to not lock onto players though. I'd rather just see the projectile speed balanced to capper and vehicle speeds. Make it slightly faster to lock, but make it top out at just higher than an avg capper's speed off the stand. That way if you can get the missle off early on an average capper you have a decent chance of killing him, but any good capper is likely to just dust it unless they **** up their route.

That might present problems with vehicles though, unless the max shrike speed isn't much faster than that of an average capper.

HomeSlice
03-22-2003, 15:52
Yeah, but we never used Missle launcher agianst Bombers, they'd always fly by and we'd just try to lance them; and if they do fly by, its not that hard to get under cover. And the next "one person fighter" vehicle should be more like a Scout from T1 then a Shrike from T2.

Natural
03-22-2003, 18:37
I think that it should be considered for vehicles only. What kind of heat signature does a player put out anyway? <shrug>

SSJBejiita
03-22-2003, 19:53
and turrets. I hate carrying flares.. Just remove it

Rabid Poop
03-22-2003, 20:00
I think that it should be considered for vehicles only. What kind of heat signature does a player put out anyway? <shrug>

jetpack

just a theory

Dirty Sanchez
03-22-2003, 20:08
i had a thought where people could laser target things for the missile launcher, but make it so the LT was something that took up a space in your weapon inventory, other than being included in it. kinda weird, but i dont wanna have to carry flares :\

TeckMan
03-22-2003, 23:31
jetting for longer than about a second puts your heat signature high enough for a lock. You can evade the missile by dropping below that. I seriously doubt that anyone who says "all you have to do is watch your energy consumption" has ever even gone faster than 300kph.

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 02:59
The missile launcher was a retarded idea, and should've been left in Renegades.
There's already more than enough weapons at your disposal to stop cappers. The only purpose I could see for it is anti-vehicles.
Which wouldn't be a problem if the vehicle-dependant maps were designed with Rocket Turrets.

I'd prefer to have it cut from the next Tribes sequel.
That's if you want to promote personal skill though, if you want a brainless weapon by all means keep it.

TerroX
03-23-2003, 21:01
Keep it, no lock on players.

Or make lock time depend on the amount of heat - so locking on vehicles is very fast but locking on a player is slower (vehicles have 100% heat, players have 0-100% heat depening on their bar, 0.0 to 1.0 in code).

But then you lose AA guns and Missile turrets against players (lose missile you should lose AA gun too). Unless you dont mind being missile turreted, I dont care about those because you can always blow them up before going in.

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 21:26
Keep it, no lock on players.

Or make lock time depend on the amount of heat - so locking on vehicles is very fast but locking on a player is slower (vehicles have 100% heat, players have 0-100% heat depening on their bar, 0.0 to 1.0 in code).

But then you lose AA guns and Missile turrets against players (lose missile you should lose AA gun too). Unless you dont mind being missile turreted, I dont care about those because you can always blow them up before going in.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what T2 originally had?

Follow the key rule of 'Keep it Simple, Stupid'.
An energy/jet were enough for New players to have to learn.
A Missile Launcher just slows down gameplay, where a turret could be used in it's place.

Tribes 1 was balanced in a "Anything can kill Anything at Any time", there wasn't the 'This player can't kill this player/vehicle without this weapon' method of balance.

TerroX
03-23-2003, 21:32
locking time is always the same no matter how much heat.
locking on a player at 50% heat is as fast as locking on to a gravtank. Dunno if that was the question.

But letting anything kill everything is pretty lame, its obvious that vehicles are different, have different weapons - so using different weapons to kill them should be pretty basic.

Oh, when keeping missile launcher I was assuming it should dumbfire against players and lock on vehicles.

BTW: just because T1 was fun does not mean t2 is gay and t3 should copy t1.

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 22:06
locking time is always the same no matter how much heat.
locking on a player at 50% heat is as fast as locking on to a gravtank. Dunno if that was the question.

But letting anything kill everything is pretty lame, its obvious that vehicles are different, have different weapons - so using different weapons to kill them should be pretty basic.

Oh, when keeping missile launcher I was assuming it should dumbfire against players and lock on vehicles.

BTW: just because T1 was fun does not mean t2 is gay and t3 should copy t1.

What was the point of the heat meter if all locking time was the same then?

TerroX
03-23-2003, 22:29
once you go above 50% heat (or whatever the limit was) you are open to locking, but locks always take the same amount of time to grab.

vehicles are always at 1.0 heat (100%) but still take same time to lock.

Stats (I looked it up)
Seek time is 0.5 seconds
Seek heat is 0.7
range 400m

So the point of the heat meter was to get it below 0.7 before they fired. (which Auto-missile really screwed up)

Archaic
03-23-2003, 23:00
I've said this many times over.

Another solution could be to start players with flares, because RL ruined cluster in T2.

Archaic
03-23-2003, 23:00
and to further the point - flares don't kill incoming HO, meaning a spawn can't just gren spam camping HO

pretty lame getting owned by 14 people throwing hand grens in a base.

R@ND0M
03-23-2003, 23:06

Another solution could be to start players with flares, because RL ruined cluster in T2.

Keep it Simple.

TerroX
03-24-2003, 02:33

thats good, laser targeter and flares free. Just use beacon button, if not pointing at ground then flare pops out.
vehicles should have flares too, free.. unlimited mortars but no flares? weird. limited flares and all vehicle ammo limited with rearming bays etc..

migth as well go crazy with suggestions, you know its already decided.

XY...
03-24-2003, 02:40
There's no need to EVER include a skill-less auto-aiming weapon in an Tribes-like FPS.

If there's a need to include a weapon that is specifically designed to counter vehicles, base objects, etc... it should require just as much skill as any other weapon.