The Next Tribes Full Q&A

Diotoir
03-21-2003, 21:13
I put this peice together two days ago, and its been posted at The-Junkyard. For all of you who want to know what The Next Tribes Game may be like but dont want to sift through all 32 pages of the forum and skim through all of the pointless talk there, this is for you. Its all of the questions answered by Thrax, so it gets some of the questions missed by the abridged version. If you wish to read the Q&A, here (http://the-junkyard.net/articles.php?action=viewa rticle&id=100) it is.

R@ND0M
03-21-2003, 21:56
Didn't Tribalwar already do this?

Diotoir
03-21-2003, 21:58
Its all of the questions answered by Thrax, so it gets some of the questions missed by the abridged version.
The Tribalwar one was only selected questions, this ones nearly 10 times larger.

Mhaddy2
03-22-2003, 16:05
bump

NoGodForMe
03-23-2003, 10:10
Wow, I didn't realize they have a working version of the game already. Of coarse, the last 10 percent takes the longest to complete.
And if they already have a date set, it's gotta be before Christmas of this year so they can make more money.

Diotoir
03-23-2003, 14:45
Apparently they had to have a working version to get the green light by Sierra. My question is, do all games have to do this, or are they just unsure about The Next Tribes Game?

Natural
03-23-2003, 14:56
Not a working version... a prototype. /slap

Colosus
03-23-2003, 15:16
Not a working version... a prototype. /slap

A prototype is a working version. It is like a demo. Obviously it is nothing close to a final product, but it is still a playable game.

jsut
03-23-2003, 15:22
Q: is 'Tribes The Next' still something thats still an idea on paper? Or have you moved it to working on it on the computer?

Actually it's in development and I have a working version on my computer.

-----

Either in that thread, or in another thread Thrax said that the prototype was built to get the green light which marweas indicated in his poem post. When they got the green light, the prototype was mostly discarded and they started on the real game. At least that's who i read it.

Diotoir
03-23-2003, 18:31
nobody answered the question, does anyone even know?
do all games have to have a prototype, or are they just unsure about TNTG?

Creole Ned
03-23-2003, 19:37
do all games have to have a prototype, or are they just unsure about TNTG?I can pretty much guarantee that id did not have to present a prototype of Doom III to anyone. :)

It really depends on the developer/publisher relationship. Companies like id and Epic can simply start work on a title and pretty much know, barring problems in negotations, that their respective publishers will accept their next game. OTOH, Will Wright had to demo a prototype for The Sims and pitch it hard before EA would pony up to help development on that title. Although it's sold a ton of copies, EA wasn't convinced of the concept, even with the huge success of the SimCity games behind it.

Tribes 2, although it sold decently, is viewed as an underperformer, so Sierra/Vivendi probably wanted some "proof of concept" before greenlighting development on a third PC title.

Colosus
03-23-2003, 20:00
When a publisher deals with a 3rd party developer, they usually request a prototype to ensure that the developer has the ability to make the game as specified. The prototype is done like a mini product. They have a timeframe, goals and hurdles. They have to meet all of those requirements in order to be accepted for the job. The publisher usually pays for this production time, but it is a much smaller contract than the final product.

Data
03-24-2003, 03:45
Am I the only one who thinks "Tribes: The Next" is about as lame as "Attack of the Clones" in the realm of stupid titles?

:p

Beren
03-24-2003, 04:04
Prototyping isn't just for when its with a third party developer, prototyping is something most development cycles involve, at varying stages of the development. Whether its when it is being pitched to a publisher, and after it has the green light and is being designed/developed.

NoGodForMe
03-24-2003, 08:50
Am I the only one who thinks "Tribes: The Next" is about as lame as "Attack of the Clones" in the realm of stupid titles?

:p
That's not the real title. TNTG (The Next Tribes Game) stuck in the QA thread cause people we're told over and over it won't be called T3.
I think the announcement needs to happen soon so the fans can call it by the official name, instead of TNTG.

Marweas
03-24-2003, 12:25
do all games have to have a prototype, or are they just unsure about TNTG?

Most games require a prototype before being green-lit here.

Destiny
03-24-2003, 15:02
ProtoType != working version ...

its used only to show management the idea of the software you have. It usually has no back end pieces ... its all smoke and mirrors. It give you the "look and feel" of the application and nothing more. Ususally has no database calls ... all the data is dummied up.