T3 movement ideas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Natural
03-20-2003, 17:52
-Full freedom of flight direction (allow jetting in pure horizontal plane and jetting downwards)

-Air brakes (slow working)

-Gliding equipment? (How, with all this flying, did we never consider adding some flaps to our armpits?)

EDIT: More for landing than flying... limitations on jetpack use during/after gliding. I'm not supporting it but it's interesting to think about =)

-Energy afterburner (i.e. use all player energy for a quick burst,delay for energy to begin replenishing)

-Faster run speed

-Allow players to shed armor (Heavy->medium->light... make it take time and not be quite as good as the pure version).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss. Those are just a few that popped into my head that could alter movement dynamics.

Ceiling_Fan
03-20-2003, 17:58
-Full freedom of flight direction (allow jetting in pure horizontal plane and jetting downwards)

How exactly would you control jetting downwards, though?

TeckMan
03-20-2003, 18:03

If it was possible to do without greatly increasing the complexity of the controls it would be really neat. It would increase how dynamic routes are, increasing the amount of skill required to execute them.
However, it would make it easier in some ways to adjust for a messed up ski if you can jet straight down/up/left/right. Especially if flag passing becomes a more important part of the game (which I hope it does with KP on the dev team) it would make it easier to execute passes if you can jet straight down etc.

You mean separate breaks that don't draw from your main energy? I don't see the point really and again, it would allow people to compensate for messed up skis easier, thus decreasing the skill of the game.

-Gliding equipment? (How, with all this flying, did we never consider adding some flaps to our armpits?)

Seems kinda gimicky. Besides skiing > flying.

-Energy afterburner (i.e. use all player energy for a quick burst,delay for energy to begin replenishing)

Good idea. Would make movement more dynamic but at a large cost to the player. I don't see it being used very often, but a well executed afterburn could probably save a few caps here and there.

-Faster run speed

Sure

-Allow players to shed armor (Heavy->medium->light... make it take time and not be quite as pure as the pure version).

Now here's an original idea :D
The obvious usage would be for a capper to come in with heavy armor and then depending on how his route was altered from discs on the flag, shed down to light/medium to get over that hill or keep his heavy armor for added survivability.

It would also allow HO to be a bit more versatile. After they're done raping the base with a mortar, they can shed down to light and duel the LD. Of course the question is, do we want to make HO more versatile and effective?

jsut
03-20-2003, 18:09

Interesting, but how do you envision control working. Would it be the kind of thing where the longer you held forward and jet the more the percentage changed towards 100% foward?

Another keybind? What kind of applications would this have in gameplay? The only real use i could see would be using it to try to stop from falling down a hill when you over shoot a route or something.

Hmm, there should be speed and mobility implications with gliding. And how would it effect mid air mobility?

I can see this being used as an instant type of air break, or a way to jump start a route. Could be interesting.

-Faster run speed

I think the default movement speeds should be kept relatively low. That way there is more importance on good skiing skills, and good routes. Not that any increase in the movement speed would ever rival skiing.

-Allow players to shed armor (Heavy->medium->light... make it take time and not be quite as pure as the pure version).

This could have some interesting applications, but i don't know if i like it or not. The armors seem like completely different entities to me, not like building blocks. And if i ditched my Heavy armor for medium would i lose my pack too? I would seem to me like i should.

Aestis
03-20-2003, 18:11
The gliding is kind of interesting, it seems like it would be balanced because it would make someone *extremely* easy to hit in the air

But then again, I don't think it would be fun

Rabid Poop
03-20-2003, 18:13
unless, while gliding you would be parallel to the ground, so you could use your jets to gain speed......

Natural
03-20-2003, 18:19
I think air brakes (of some sort) would increase skill. It could allow players to cut corners sharper, make more dynamic ski routes, etc.

I don't know exactly how to implement it, or how some sort of gliding extension should be applied. I just always thought it was weird that we can ski and accumulate tremendous speeds and height, but our falls are almost completely uncontrolled (when fall for a long enough distance that our falling speed >>> manuvering ability). Perhaps the air brake idea could be applied to falls and allow a player to reduce their terminal velocity for a short enough period to make a landing manuver of some sort.

I'm just throwing up some brainstorming ideas... not trying to support an idea I've already created =0

Natural
03-20-2003, 18:22
Also I don't think the run speed would compete with skiing. As it stands now, when a player tries to run around on the ground he looks like a money on a pogostick., hopping and trying to gather up a little bit of speed. I think you could kick this speed up enough that people don't need to hop around to move faster than a slug. Skiing would always be faster.

jsut
03-20-2003, 18:32
Even if they did increase the walk/run speed, wouldn't hopping still be faster? Especially up slopes.

Rabid Poop
03-20-2003, 18:41
In some art lucius or ben reed made, the people had little ice skate like metal bars come out of their feet, stick into the ground, and they would ski on those.

If it could be implemented so there was a button to activate these skis and a button to retract them back into the boots it could add a lot to skiing.

The angle at which your skis dig into the ground could make you go faster, or even hinder your speed, and the timing when you release your ski's could affect how fast your lift off is.

And by ski's I mean little metal bars that dig inot the ground.

snow
03-20-2003, 18:45
mayb with the glider you could have it like a plane, where if you started really high u could gain speed as you were going downwards then pull up a bit so that you run horizontal to the ground?

Javelin
03-20-2003, 19:00

Very good idea. Will increase the skill curve.

I like this idea, it won't change gameplay too much, in T1 we use these except its just jetting backwards to slow down a bit before you hit a dip or something.

I don't like this idea. It will help cappers too much. Make capping at faster speeds real easy. Plus one of the great things about T1 was the anticipation of when and where they hit the ground and to have a disc waiting for them there. With this you could too easily keep yourself off the ground, or atleast change the time it takes you to get there.

I like this idea. I think it should be implemented to help out the LD. I don't think it should use all your energy but just increase the ratio of energy to speed. Or perhaps you could only use it when you are on the ground or something. Disc jump + afterburner should get you to the speed of a average level cap speed. Maybe the after burner could be off a seperate energy level, or you buy one and can only hold one afterburner carterage from a inventory station. <-- I think i like that last idea best.

-Faster run speed

Yeah I like that idea.

I like this idea. I think you could balance it out by the loss of being able to wear a pack. You lose the thing on your armor that holds the pack with the loss of your outter layer or something. That way lights from an inventory station > heavys-gone-lights, but are still useful and faster. HoFs going insta LD would be a cool addition to defense.

I like your ideas nat, but Im only hoping that what they add into the game increases BOTH defense and offense and neither one is overpowered.

Flatscan
03-20-2003, 19:11
All of those ideas are worth exploring - especially the downward jet. This would make TR much more fun.

Natural
03-20-2003, 19:46
I don't like this idea. It will help cappers too much. Make capping at faster speeds real easy. Plus one of the great things about T1 was the anticipation of when and where they hit the ground and to have a disc waiting for them there. With this you could too easily keep yourself off the ground, or atleast change the time it takes you to get there.

That would all be a matter of implementation. Would they be able to jet while gliding? I doubt it... would it be more like a neat way to land? Yes. Would they be able to take off right away? prob not. I dunno... I'm not supporting it but I think it's worth thinking about

Javelin
03-20-2003, 19:52
That would all be a matter of implementation. Would they be able to jet while gliding? I doubt it... would it be more like a neat way to land? Yes. Would they be able to take off right away? prob not. I dunno... I'm not supporting it but I think it's worth thinking about
Well if you're just talking about a way to land, perhaps a combined airbreak/glider key is more what we're looking for. I dunno, you're right its all about the implimentation. But i think they would have to be real careful for it too be useful and not unbalancing.

Natural
03-20-2003, 19:53
We also have to remember this is Tribes and not a flight sim... <slaps self> Although sometimes T1 feels more like a flight sim than an fps =9

Limbo
03-20-2003, 21:43
...and not NASCAR either.

R@ND0M
03-21-2003, 05:01

-Faster run speed

I too would like to see some sort of Air-Brake.
Although it can't be as easy as just pressing "G" or whatever in that Renegades mod.
It should be some sort of combo like beacon-stopping, which takes skill, and is very hard to execute in the air.

Faster run speed would be awesome, I can't even think of any downsides to it, other than I'd love to see it in Tribes. (Maybe some sort of strafe-tapping like in QuakeWorld, tapping left-right in combinations with another key that makes you run alot faster than usual)

SarcaStick
03-21-2003, 08:32
hey I have an idea....

lets just name it Tribes Thr[IE]

HomeSlice
03-21-2003, 08:43
I think air brakes (of some sort) would increase skill. It could allow players to cut corners sharper, make more dynamic ski routes, etc.

I agree, and it would make for some intresting duels, and could also make for some very instresting bodyblocks (IE: Get infront of someone and apply your air brakes)

I like this idea.