[T3]Flag waypoint

Pages : [1] 2

TeckMan
03-20-2003, 16:55
Right now the argument (ok so there really isn't much arguing :p )is pretty much whether it should be like t1 or t2. I propose a compromise.

There should be a flpersistent compass waypoint to both flags. By persistant I mean even if no teamates are in range you would still know the location of the flag. This reduces confusion for newbies and helps combat hiding the flag. It wouldn't be a 3d waypoint like in T2 that allows you to blind snipe.

It would be presented just like in T1 except there would be two colored triangles, one for each team. The only thing I'm unsure of is how to display the distances to each flag. IMO they aren't even really that necessary if you always know the direction. I imagine once scripts come out a common configuration would be to have one waypoint around your reticle (depending on whether you're O or D) and another on the corner compass just so you know where the other flag is.

Comments/Critiscisms/Suggestions are welcome.

Ragnafrak
03-20-2003, 17:17
removing the flag waypoint would also solve your laser rifle problem

Natural
03-20-2003, 17:19
I don't think there should be flag waypoints. It limits the strategic ability of both defense and offense. Defense cannot secure flags in the field as reliably and offense cannot be as sneaky with the flag.

Satan-
03-20-2003, 17:26
I agree and would like to see no waypoints at all removing alot of possible cheats and private scripts that give unfair advantages.

jsut
03-20-2003, 17:46
Currently we do plan to have waypoints. Avoiding the WP cheats from the previous Tribes titles is an obvious consideration.

Personally, i think waypoints are cool, you can do a lot of useful stuff with them. I just don't want them to end up being a huge source of irritation, or the basis of a ton of different private scripts.

As for the flag waypoint, i don't care either way, but if it's not there, someone's going to just make a new version of happy flag, or some other kind of flag finder. If we actually have a dev team that's going to stick around and actively patch that **** out as it becomes a problem, that's one thing, but if we don't, i'd rather have everyone have it then just a selected few.

Neek
03-20-2003, 17:54
I Propose:
-Waypoint the flag bases (already in T2)
-Flag waypoint only appears if it enters the friendly sensor net. (i.e. If no-one can directly spot the flag carrier, or it is out of freindly sensor range, or the carrier is using a J-pack, then there is no flag waypoint.
-Flag waypoint is small and unobstusive/scaled to distance.
Or
-Just remove the damn thing altogether for tournament mode.

Satan-
03-20-2003, 19:08
Personally, i think waypoints are cool, you can do a lot of useful stuff with them. I just don't want them to end up being a huge source of irritation, or the basis of a ton of different private scripts.

As for the flag waypoint, i don't care either way, but if it's not there, someone's going to just make a new version of happy flag, or some other kind of flag finder. If we actually have a dev team that's going to stick around and actively patch that **** out as it becomes a problem, that's one thing, but if we don't, i'd rather have everyone have it then just a selected few.

But you know all of the bad stuff would come around again jsut :disgust: It was awsome of you to release a spam script to even the playing field but it'd be better if everyone didnt have to worry about any aspect of waypoint cheats or private scripts to begin with IMO.

Flatscan
03-20-2003, 19:09
Adding it in, keeps it from being a cheat. We all know that such a cheat will be made and used at all levels of competition.

I wouldn't mind the proposed compromise (i.e. eliminating the 3D element).

Satan-
03-20-2003, 19:11
Adding it in, keeps it from being a cheat. We all know that such a cheat will be made and used at all levels of competition.

I wouldn't mind the proposed compromise (i.e. eliminating the 3D element).

Thats why I proposed removing waypoints totally from the game. I cant script my way out of a paper bag so correct me if im wrong; but you couldnt have any autopoint, airpoint, Xwaypoint cheats/scripts if they werent there to begin with right?

jsut
03-20-2003, 19:19
But you know all of the bad stuff would come around again jsut :disgust: It was awsome of you to release a spam script to even the playing field but it'd be better if everyone didnt have to worry about any aspect of waypoint cheats or private scripts to begin with IMO.

I completely agree with you. I hope that if they do include waypoints they severely limit their application. Make it only possible to waypoint friendly targets, and impossible to create them at arbitrary positions. At least the Client-only version of them should work that way IMO.

Javelin
03-20-2003, 19:23
No to flag waypointing. And this is my general opinion: who the **** carese if a noobie is confused. Its called a learning curve they are good for the game. I mean if im gonna play a game for a month and then be done with it then i want the ease of the noobies into the game easier, but if T3 is good, im gonna be playing it for a few years. Therefore i want noobies to be noobies, and have to earn their way into the higher end game like everyone else. The steeper the learning curve the more respect for the better players IMO.

[meph]DooM!
03-20-2003, 19:36
T1 waypoints work fine..?

jsut
03-20-2003, 19:56
from the little i know about T1 waypoints i could recreate the air waypoint spam script for it without much trouble. This could of course not be the case, i've never really written any script for T1

Satan-
03-21-2003, 00:41
Yeah the spam just gets silly in T2 comp now to be honest. Everyone n their mother has pinpoint max range spam and only 1 player on a team has to make it all which doesnt take that long to begin with.

Destiny
03-21-2003, 16:38
spam-o-matic.

Sir Lucius
03-24-2003, 20:01
What if they made it so you could only apply waypoints to landmarks, bases, etc. For example, you could set a way point on a base object, or a roc, or a tree...

Of course I dunno, maybe you don't even need waypoints. I think if you can set markers (the non-rangfinder type becons) then you should pretty much be fine. It would be nice to be able to change becons colors tho. Like if you placed one down it would leave a red marker, but if you redeployed it would switch to a green marker, then a blue. This way you coudl use them to denote waypoints or inventory stations, or mines. Just an idea.

Beren
03-24-2003, 20:29
Votes for:
- Removing Flag waypoint, unless in sensor net.
- Coloured beacon waypoints
- Getting a way to stop spamage scripts.

Sir Lucius
03-24-2003, 20:33
I actually think the flag shouldn't be added to your sensor net unless you're in a certin range and you have to look at (place your reticle over it) for a second or two.

Beren
03-24-2003, 20:42
I actually think the flag shouldn't be added to your sensor net unless you're in a certin range and you have to look at (place your reticle over it) for a second or two.

That is probably a good idea, although, i would remove the range on it. So if you were sniping, and were out of that range and zoomed right in it still added it. But as far as turrents/sensors adding the flag carrier to the net, or in the screen but person doesn't notice; having to put ret over it is a good idea.

Sir Lucius
03-24-2003, 20:45
Then it'd have to be a pinpoint, b/c someone from far away has a much wider range of their ret (such to the point they'd probably have to be zoomed in and standing still to lock on it)