T1 demo viewing... b0rked

Whiplash
11-06-2002, 14:31
i have downloaded a few demos from the new database section and have tried a few times to watch them. i get as far as the loading screen, the bar starts to slide across then i am dumped out to desktop.

never had this problem before, i can make and view my own demos no problem. started trying with a viking config, re-installed and tried with a clean config and got the same effect.

any insights?

Hindsight
11-06-2002, 14:32
U sure ur not running T2 demos...

Whiplash
11-06-2002, 14:42
good question.
.rec files from the t1 section.
map names raindance, CCd, stonehenge etc.

so as far as i can tell they are t1 demos.

n3m
11-06-2002, 15:03
well I can' open the zip's themselves so

n3m
11-06-2002, 15:04
nevermind that last post =\

Gambitx11x
11-06-2002, 15:10
It used to do that to me... except i would try to reload it a couple of time then it would work. :D

Surge
11-06-2002, 16:58
usually happens to me when i watch a whole **** load of them in a row. just try again and it should work... i know there is a crash demo fix somewhere on TW... but its like... freaky... i didnt understand it.. :huh:

styr
11-06-2002, 17:33
usually the crash occurs (consistently on the same demo) if they are using a cracked exe for running skins/cheats, and you do not have a cracked exe. ive done a little testing on this, but i think this is what causes it (no cracked exe for the viewer but the maker of the demo used a cracked exe)...

Whiplash
11-06-2002, 21:09
Originally posted by Styr
usually the crash occurs (consistently on the same demo) if they are using a cracked exe for running skins/cheats, and you do not have a cracked exe. ive done a little testing on this, but i think this is what causes it (no cracked exe for the viewer but the maker of the demo used a cracked exe)...

out of the 5 or so i downloaded not one works. so if that's true about the cheatloader i guess damn near everyone uses one now.

Whiplash
11-06-2002, 21:12
Originally posted by TehSurGe
usually happens to me when i watch a whole **** load of them in a row. just try again and it should work... i know there is a crash demo fix somewhere on TW... but its like... freaky... i didnt understand it.. :huh:

from what i remember thats a replacement hud.cs for presto.
thanks tho

KOS
11-06-2002, 21:27
Originally posted by Whiplash

out of the 5 or so i downloaded not one works. so if that's true about the cheatloader i guess damn near everyone uses one now.

why not?

most of the "cheats" are just models that look better anyway

and i still believe that NOTHING you can do with models can give you a mentionable advantage over other ppl

even Happyflag... so what if you know where it is.. that dosent mean you will GET the flag, theres still the ppl defending it... and if nobody is defending it, their ****ty anyway so its a trade-off

chainsparks are the same... you know where they hit but that dosent mean they will, or that they will reg, which is more important anyway

im not using any custom things atm because im getting ready to reformat but mostly there is nothing u can really do to cheat imo(and i dont use happyflag or chainspks btw... just in case ur gonna start calling me a cheater... dont)

Whiplash
11-06-2002, 21:54
oh i agree with you KOS, just doesn't help me out with my problem.
the only thing i would use a cheatloader for would be the nade launcher and/or sniper rifle. i just dont have the need for any of that at the moment.

i took almost 4 months break from tribes, now i have to find(or make) all the things i had before. i thought watching a few demos might help get back into the swing of things. considering the level of pub play.. and the fact that my tribe is almost non-existent now :(

now i just have to find demos i can watch or the cheatloader everyone seems to be using

KOS
11-06-2002, 22:32
Clicky (http://heimdal_sg3.tripod.com/)

Whiplash
11-07-2002, 00:43
for future reference: yes it was the cheatloader. all demos play just fine now.

thanks styr and kos. and you other guys too