Latest Front Page News

[WW3] North Korea fires missile over Japan in 'unprecedented threat'

Submitted by: Edofnor @ 10:29 PM | Monday, August 28, 2017 | (url: http://http://www...)

North Korea has fired a missile over northern Japan in a move Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called an "unprecedented" threat to his country.

The missile, launched early on Tuesday Korean time, flew over Hokkaido island before crashing into the sea.

The UN Security Council is expected to hold an emergency meeting in response.

...

No effort was made by the Japanese to shoot down the missile but it issued a safety warning telling citizens in Hokkaido to take shelter in "a sturdy building or basement".

US and Japanese forces are currently taking part in training drills in Hokkaido.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in ordered a show of "overwhelming" force in response to the launch. Four South Korean jets staged a live bombing drill on Tuesday.

Mr Abe said he had spoken to US President Donald Trump and that both agreed to increase pressure on North Korea.

Mr Abe called the launch an "outrageous act" and an "unprecedented, serious and grave threat [that] greatly damages regional peace and security".

He said his government was doing its utmost to protect people's lives.

North Korea's conventional and nuclear weapons programmes are a breach of international sanctions, so the test is being seen as a major provocation and an escalation of tensions on the Korean peninsula.

...

In other reaction:

A meeting of South Korea's National Security Council (NSC) was convened to discuss the issue, Yonhap reported.
British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson expressed "outrage" at North Korea's "reckless provocation".
Australia has condemned the launch as a "provocative, dangerous, destabilising and threatening act".
The Pentagon said that Tuesday's test did not represent a threat to the US and the military was now working to gather more intelligence about it.


London fire: Flames engulf tower block

Submitted by: Edofnor @ 01:49 AM | Wednesday, June 14, 2017 | (url: http://www.bbc.co...)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625
[img]https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/1305E/production/_96481977_smoke.jpg[/img]

Thirty people are in hospital and there are fears that more may be unaccounted for after a huge fire raged through the night at a west London tower block.

...

The BBC's Andy Moore said the whole 24-storey block had been alight and there were fears the building might collapse.

Eyewitnesses said they saw lights - thought to be mobile phones or torches - flashing at the top of the block of flats, and trapped residents coming to their windows.

The Met Police has set up an emergency number on 0800 0961 233 for anyone concerned about friends or family.

At 06:15 BST, London Ambulance Service said 20 ambulance crews had been at the scene, 30 people had been taken to hospital, but the nature and level of their injuries was not yet clear.
...

Three hours after the fire started, police said people were continuing to be evacuated from the tower.

...

London Ambulance Service medics specially trained in life-saving medical care in hazardous environments have also been sent to the fire.

The first reports of fire in the tower, in Latimer Road, on the Lancaster West Estate, came in at 00:54 BST.

...

According to Kensington and Chelsea Council, the tower block contains 120 flats and is 24 storeys high.

It is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) on behalf of the council and had undergone a two-year, 10m refurbishment that was completed last year.

The work included new exterior cladding and a communal heating system.

The local Grenfell Action Group had claimed, before and during the refurbishment, the block constituted a fire risk and residents had warned that access to the site for emergency vehicles was "severely restricted".

The BBC has been unable to contact the property's management company...


Authorities say SD driver of stolen van's blood alcohol content was .708, a possible

Submitted by: TooSmoothe @ 11:15 AM | Thursday, December 31, 2009 | (url: http://www.startr...)



RAPID CITY, S.D. - South Dakota authorities say a woman found passed out in a stolen delivery van earlier this month registered a blood alcohol content of .708 nearly nine times the legal limit and a possible record for the state.

Meade County State's Attorney Jesse Sondreal said Wednesday that 45-year-old Marguerite Engle, who recently moved from Minnesota, was found slumped over the van's steering wheel along a highway on Dec. 1.

He says the highest blood alcohol content state chemists he spoke with could recall was a .56. The state's legal limit is .08.

Authorities say Engle missed an initial court hearing Dec. 15, but that they found her Monday in another stolen vehicle, and that she had been drinking.

She was being held on two counts of driving under the influence. It wasn't immediately clear if she was facing other charges.

Her attorney declined comment.